INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: MC (18.0.209): Does it not write Replay Gain values when using Convert Format?  (Read 1029 times)

Vocalpoint

• Citizen of the Universe

Morning,

Looking for some backgrounder on an odd issue this morning after examining an album or two worth of MP3 (converted from FLAC) using Convert format. I know that some prior build (Before 193) changed the way this worked  - I think it was here:

18.0.187 (5/16/2013)

1. NEW: The 'Output Format' settings are honored in DSP Studio when doing a handheld conversion (allows resampling (by each input sample rate), and channel up/down mixing).

- where DSP can now be applied to the files as they are converted - vs running Analyze Audio on them after the fact.

But this morning using 209 - I converted two albums worth of material (FLAC) to MP3 - and had the Apply DSP options checked with Volume Levelling checked on using a Fixed value of +6 (which is the same as what I use for all my FLAC files when I right click and choose Analyze Audio)

But when I examined the output files - there was no value present in the Replay Gain column in my view in MC. And When I highlighted these files and forced a "manual" Analyze Audio on them - the RG value written was -6 across the board.

Obviously I am missing something here. If these "Apply DSP" option are on - should MC be writing a proper Replay Gain value when converting to MP3 - or if not - exactly what level are the resultant files I just created - using?

Would love an explanation on this...

Cheers,

VP

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!

Applying volume leveling using DSP Studio during conversion changes the signal in the file, not the tags.

That they analyze to -6.0dB means the signal was correctly adjusted (since MC18 uses the original Replay Gain specification of -6.0dB).
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

Vocalpoint

Applying volume leveling using DSP Studio during conversion changes the signal in the file, not the tags.

That they analyze to -6.0dB means the signal was correctly adjusted (since MC18 uses the original Replay Gain specification of -6.0dB).

Thanks Matt - so:

1. If DSP is on (during the convert) - MC goes ahead and "volume levels" the file (down by 6 db in my example) but writes no RG tags at all?
2. And if I leave DSP off? Does Convert format grab the existing RG tag in the FLAC file and send that into the converted file or do I simply get a file at "full" original volume that needs to have Analyze Audio done to it manually to get it in shape?

VP

Pages: [1]   Go Up