INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Suggestions for cataloging LPs in MC  (Read 4043 times)

majnun70

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
Suggestions for cataloging LPs in MC
« on: July 23, 2013, 12:32:44 am »

I have a fairly large vinyl collection that I never got around to cataloging (well, I have a partial catalog on Delicious, but it's quite old) and would love to be able to use MC as a catalog front-end.  I don't mean digitizing/needle-dropping LPs, but rather just a means by which I can browse/search for music only available in my vinyl collection while at my computer.  Admittedly, I do enjoy flipping through LPs, but they're located in the basement (and my headphone gear and computer is upstairs).

Since all of my CDs were converted to FLAC in MC, one possible solution is to import MP3 files (currently on a Mac) that replicate about 90% of my LPs and simply use the File Type column to signify an LP.  The problem is that my MP3 collection also duplicates 95% of my CDs.  Unless MC has a command to conditionally hide songs (i.e. display song X1 in FLAC but hide X2 in MP3) the duplicate entries would drive me crazy.

Any suggestions?

MrC

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Your life is short. Give me your money.
The opinions I express represent my own folly.

majnun70

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
Re: Suggestions for cataloging LPs in MC
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2013, 01:10:03 am »

Have a look:

http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=82115.0
   http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=76100.0

Thanks so much for the quick response.  Unfortunately, given the number of LPs, using dummy entries is not feasible.  I'll see if I can export my delicious-monster library to XML/CSV format in order to use the MPL method.  If that's not possible, then can I ask about the following response you gave in the second link you provided?

Thinking about this... I might just write myself a New Movie Entry script that takes as an argument maybe a Title, or IMDB URL, or other, and auto-creates an entry.  I hadn't really thought much about using MC to catalog movies I've watched, but I just might...

This is what the delicious-monster app essentially does to populate its library. 

MrC

« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2013, 01:46:29 am »

Dummy entries or CSV to MPL - either is easily automated.  I just converted a CSV to MPL for someone.

I never added my watched movies to MC.  I decided to just keep a simple list of watched movies, and movies to watch.  Since my response you referenced above, I figured out that an MPL without a Filename field will create a new entry in MC, so the dummy file isn't necessary at all.

majnun70

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2013, 02:41:23 am »

Dummy entries or CSV to MPL - either is easily automated.  I just converted a CSV to MPL for someone.

I never added my watched movies to MC.  I decided to just keep a simple list of watched movies, and movies to watch.  Since my response you referenced above, I figured out that an MPL without a Filename field will create a new entry in MC, so the dummy file isn't necessary at all.

Sorry, I meant it wouldn't be feasible in terms of the initial data entry.  I'll go as far as entering an artist/album, but not each track, duration, genre, etc.  I was hoping to find some solution whereby I would only need to enter the artist and album (or UPC), and then have MC automatically populate the rest (using the usual online database).

mbagge

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2013, 01:11:27 pm »

I have recorded my 250+ LP Collection into MC with a NAD PP3 and the help of VinylStudio. I used DISCOGS.COM as database to collect all the vitals of the individual LP including cover pictures. I know they have an api to do automated lookups.

Maybe you can find some inspiration in there.

MrC

« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2013, 07:19:07 pm »

Since 90% of your vinyl is represented already via your FLACs, you might do better to create a new custom field, something like Have Vinyl, or use Keywords, and add an appropriate value in your FLAC files.  Thus, you can consider those also "rips" of your vinyl.  You could use other methods described above to catalog the vinyl that doesn't yet exist in a ripped format.

You can create customized views to select relevant files, and show the metadata in a variety of ways.  It would be trivial to create a Vinyl view based on the field used above, or create a more encompassing view allows you to select the media format to see your catalog (flac, mp3, CD, vinyl, etc.)

There are plenty of ways to skin this fish - for more guidance, just ask...

MrC

« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2014, 12:30:02 am »

For future reference, one more solution:

http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=87032.0
Pages: [1]   Go Up