INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Best audio format to stream?  (Read 2279 times)

wtrimble

• Recent member
Best audio format to stream?
« on: July 26, 2013, 07:59:20 am »

I'm streaming FLAC files ripped from CDs from my computer to a Pioneer 1222K through a LAN connection. 2.1 stereo setup.

When I have Audio mode: Specified output format,  the stream shows tracks as a WAV file streaming at bit rate:  2117 kbps on my television.

When I have Audio mode: Original, the files shows as a FLAC file streaming at bit rate: 1411 kbps.

Is either one better than the other? Any other characteristics to look at to determine audio quality?

csimon

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Best audio format to stream?
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2013, 11:10:49 am »

There might be some argument as to why it isn't the case but I would have said that streaming files at their original format without conversion gives you the best quality, or at least the most faithful to the original.  And your ears are probably the best instruments to judge sound quality.

wtrimble

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2013, 08:17:45 am »

It's tough for me to do an A/B test.

Would this be the same quality as me playing a CD in a bluray player connected by HDMI to my AVR? Is there any difference in the stream that gets sent to my AVR?

InflatableMouse

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2013, 08:42:34 am »

When you specify the output format, MC decodes the file and sends 2.1 data to your receiver. This matches your bitrates, 1.411.000 is 2 channels, +705.500 for the subwoofer channel = 2.116.500 which your TV rounds to 2117 kbps.

When you dont specify an output format, MC sends 2 channels, hence it shows 1411 kbps so its up to your receiver to generate the subwoofer channel.

I guess it comes down to your config (do you have a subwoofer and is it connected to a dedicated sub output?) and personal preference.

My receiver has a subwoofer connected to its subwoofer channel and I prefer to let MC handle all the decoding. I have specified an output format to 5.1 which matches my speaker setup and I have ticked 2.1 for stereo sources.
Pages: [1]   Go Up