INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Not using enough bits to output the input directly (24Bit / 96KHz / 6Ch audio  (Read 6615 times)

jctcom

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Rush - Styx - Yes - Porcupine Tree - Staple Food!

Ok I guess I have 2 questions here.

I am using the audio from my EVGA GeForce GTX 660 Ti HDMI connector.

First of all it is quite a new card and for some reason when I try to set it to ASIO and then go to the "Output Mode Settings" I don't seem to get any options to use my Nvidea sound card not my Onkyo receiver (In other modes it shows me my Onkyo receiver).

This is a brand new Card which I purchased specifically because I can output up to 7.1 channels with 24Bit / 96KHz and 2 Channels @ 24Bit / 192Khz. 

I don't know much about ASIO per say.  Is there a special driver I need to install to get it to see my hardware?

2nd having not been able to use the ASIO I am using the "WASAPI" option which for the most part seems to work.
However in this mode I have to set the "Disable Event Style (Required by older hardware)  Otherwise I get all kinds of problems.  This is a brand new Video / Sound card so not "Older Hardware" and I know my Onkyo receiver supports all of those formats because I am able to play them from other programs and other hardware without issue.

Also when I am in WASAPI mode and Playing a 24Bit / 96KHz / 6 Channel FLAC music file I get the above mentioned "Not using enough bits to output the input directly" message indicated in the "Audio Path". 

So I guess I am wondering
1. What do I need to do to be able to use the more desirable ASIO format?
or
2. Why can't I get the full bit rate output using WSAPI format?  (Or why is MC indicating that it is not outputting the full bitrate?)

The reason I am looking at purchasing this software is to be able to play my media at it full capabilities. 

So far I am impressed as it seems to do much better than my Helium Music Manager which only seems to have options to use the built in homogenized Windows Audio drivers which only give the option lf outputting everything at the same Channel #'s, bit depth and sample frequencies, therefore either upgrading or downgrading everything.

I think one of the problems is that the combined Audio / Video card seems to have very little in the way of Audio settings options.  but how else is one supposed to use HDMI and get full audio capabilities for everything including DTS-HD, Dolby TruHD for movies etc???

Carl.

InflatableMouse

• MC Beta Team

ASIO is typically supplied by the hardware manufacturer with its drivers. Nvidia cards do not come with ASIO drivers. If you can choose ASIO, MC is seeing an ASIO driver installed but I don't know where that came from.

Under output settings, did you change the bit depth setting from automatic to something else?

jctcom

ASIO is typically supplied by the hardware manufacturer with its drivers. Nvidia cards do not come with ASIO drivers. If you can choose ASIO, MC is seeing an ASIO driver installed but I don't know where that came from.

Under output settings, did you change the bit depth setting from automatic to something else?

No I have left that BitDepth settings to "Automatic".

What is really strange is that when I set the ASIO option, the Output settings do not offer me my NVidia Card or my Onkyo receiver.  it offers me only "Realtek ASIO"

I don't have anything "Realtek" in my system.

In any case.  Bottom line if there is no ASIO driver for NVidia Cards then I guess I have to use the WASAPI.  But even so why would it not be supporting the full capabilities of my brand new GTX 660 Ti card?

Carl.

Hendrik

• Administrator

I would try setting Bit Depth to "24-bit padded" or something similar-sounding, just to make sure the bitdepth detection didn't screw up.
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

jctcom

If I manually set it to "24-Bit Integer (in a 32-bit package) then it won't play at all.  I get the error that it can't play the "24-bit / 96KHz / 6 Channel" and it wants to convert it to "24Bit / 96KHz / 2 Channel".

It plays everything else direct  "24Bit / 48KHz / 6 Channel", "24Bit / 192KHz / 2 Channel" etc..  Only the "24Bit / 96KHz / 6 Channel" are being downgraded to 16Bit.

Carl.

InflatableMouse

• MC Beta Team

Did you try straight 24-bit?

jctcom

Did you try straight 24-bit?

If I set it to "24bit Integer"

I get the following error:

"Something went wrong with playback.
Details:
Playback could not be started on the output "WASAPI" using the format '96kHz, 24bit 6ch'.

Carl

Hendrik

• Administrator

You should try reinstalling the drivers or trying a different version, my NVIDIA GTX 660 (no Ti) specifically requires 24-bit in a 32-bit package to output 24-bit, and it does 24-bit 96kHz just fine at 6 or 8 channels.
Of course its possible your receiver is not liking this output format.

~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

jctcom

I think the drivers from EVGA / Nvidia are just barely holding on as it is for Windows 8.  S I would not like to go back to any earlier possibly less compatible drivers.

I am pretty sure my Onkyo TX-NR1008 plays these just fine.  It plays them when it output them in raw mode from my Popcorn hour A-400 and C200 as well as similar stuff from my Oppo SACD . DVD-A player.

I am thinking it's a driver issue.  I sometimes get the feeling that Nvidia does not take the audio components of their Video cards too seriously.

Are you running on Windows 8?  I think that is the problem.  The drivers are Windows 8 Compatible but I think they are not telling us that they are "Just" compatible.

Still would like to know where the "Realtek" thing is coming from though?

Carl.

CountryBumkin

Still would like to know where the "Realtek" thing is coming from though?

Carl.

Your motherboard probably has "on-board" audio. Go to Windows Device Manager and see what's listed. If the Realtek audio device is there you can disable it.

jctcom

I believe the onboard audio if it was turned on would be Intel HD Audio.

But it has long since been turned off in the bios.

Carl.

InflatableMouse

• MC Beta Team

Just download the latest drivers from Nvidia website and they should work fine on Windows 8.

99% of the motherboards come with realtek builtin sound and disabling it in the bios often doesn't mean Windows no longer sees it. Open Control Panel/Add remove software and see if anything is listed with Realtek.

jctcom

Already have the latest NVidia drivers and have tried the EVGA drivers (They are generally a bit older).

Same results.

no Realtek in "Programs And Features" nor in Device Manager.

In any case even with the limitation it is still better than anything else I have been using to play music.  (I think I am hooked.  Even already purchased the Iphone app!)  lol

Carl.
Pages: [1]   Go Up