INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Network Connection Problem  (Read 963 times)

kstuart

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Upgraded to MC22 Master using preorder discount
Network Connection Problem
« on: July 31, 2013, 08:15:53 pm »

I am trying to setup a PC as a server for video over my home LAN to laptops, and other devices.

Currently, I have a problem with one client that connects using WiFi G at a steady 54Mbps.

I select a TS file on a network share, which is MPEG2 of roughly 14Mbps bitrate.

So, 54 should be plenty, right ?

But I get constant pauses.

I tried playing the file through VLC, and saw an interesting thing - the graphic indication at the bottom indicates that every few seconds, the player needs to stop and fill up a buffer.

So, I ran it with Task Manager running on the Networking display, and it would never get above 20% bandwidth being used - and the display also indicated a steady 54Mbps.

I have run the same video on a similar laptop (same CPU) connected to a Gigabit Ethernet connection, and it plays smoothly.

Any ideas ?

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
Re: Network Connection Problem
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2013, 08:23:23 pm »

Yup - Get some blue string in.  If you want to see the "real" throughput copy a file from one PC to the other.  It will be a lot less than the supposed link speed.  I find even using "N" that it is not reliable so I wish you luck using "G". 
JRiver CEO Elect

astromo

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2013, 08:59:28 pm »

Running electric string is not an option for me. Multi-unit dwelling (i.e. apartment for the US types) means that knocking holes in the walls is not something I can easily make happen. The floor is a possibility but would involve messing about.

I've gone down the path of ethernet-over-power and I'm working with 500Mbps (nominal) adapters. One to bear in mind.
MC31, Win10 x64, HD-Plex H5 Gen2 Case, HD-Plex 400W Hi-Fi DC-ATX / AC-DC PSU, Gigabyte Z370 ULTRA Gaming 2.0 MoBo, Intel Core i7 8700 CPU, 4x8GB GSkill DDR4 RAM, Schiit Modi Multibit DAC, Freya Pre, Nelson Pass Aleph J DIY Clone, Ascension Timberwolf 8893BSRTL Speakers, BJC 5T00UP cables, DVB-T Tuner HDHR5-4DT

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2013, 05:11:25 am »

I've used powering adapters and got pretty good results.  They are like reliable wireless.  The other option is to try the newer WiFi STDs as you will get better bandwidth
JRiver CEO Elect

kstuart

• Upgraded to MC22 Master using preorder discount
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2013, 11:37:27 am »

Thanks for the replies.   A web search indicates that Wifi G has so much overhead that the so-called 54Mbps is actually more like 24Mbps in a best case scenario.   The fact that I am only getting 12Mbps despite the connection being "54Mbps" and "Excellent" connection, indicates that it is not the best case scenario. :)

I have a USB Wifi N standard adapter, so I am going to try that...
Pages: [1]   Go Up