INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Will forcing sample rate cause video audio to misbehave?  (Read 2080 times)

seanpatrick

Will forcing sample rate cause video audio to misbehave?
« on: August 01, 2013, 02:18:58 pm »

Hey there,   I'm testing out JRiver for the first time,  ( long time user of XBMC ) and was wondering,  when I force the sample rate to 96000 - does this apply only to Music or will this effect Movie files as well.  I've set it at 96000,  as my brand new receiver ( Denon x 4000 ) has this annoying click noise whenever the rear amps are turned on.  When any of my music mixes switches tracks from a 44.1 to a 96khz bit rate,   it causes my receiver to skip for a second while its figuring out what to do with the stream.  " Click! " .. it's annoying.  In any case when I force everything to output at the higher rate it fixes the problem.  I actually managed to effect this change as well by writing in some XML commands with XBMC - however it forces everything to playback at 96khz,  and thus screws up all my movies / tv shows sound.  
Cheers!  thanks in advance!

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Will forcing sample rate cause video audio to misbehave?
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2013, 02:26:54 pm »

I use Media Center to upsample all movie audio to 192kHz, to reduce latency with my DAC (171ms at 48kHz, 43ms at 192kHz) and it works perfectly.

You can set up separate zones for music and video playback if you only want music upsampled to 96kHz, and keep movies at their native sample rate.

seanpatrick

« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2013, 02:31:48 pm »

I use Media Center to upsample all movie audio to 192kHz, to reduce latency with my DAC (171ms at 48kHz, 43ms at 192kHz) and it works perfectly.

You can set up separate zones for music and video playback if you only want music upsampled to 96kHz, and keep movies at their native sample rate.

Really?  wow that's pretty impressive! - so right now I've got it set ( under tools / settings / dsp options ) to force everything up to 96khz (44.1 etc) at 96 - but my movie playback seems fine.  That being said when I check to see what it's playing back as under " alternate view " it shows 0.0khz .. obviously that's incorrect,  and I don't NEED the display to read out properly per se,  but does that mean right now my video's are ignoring what I've set above? ( this would be good ) .. I haven't delved into zones as of yet,  just wondering if this might be the default setting.  ( meaning changing the above setting will automatically differentiate between movies and music ) .. 

• Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2013, 02:51:28 pm »

I don't think that's anything to be concerned about. That display might just not apply to video playback. (I hadn't noticed before)

If you check the Audio Path, it should tell you what's going on:

I haven't delved into zones as of yet,  just wondering if this might be the default setting.  ( meaning changing the above setting will automatically differentiate between movies and music )
By default, Media Center sends everything to a single zone. You have to manually set up separate zones (which show up under the "Playing Now" section) if you want to have different settings for video & audio playback. It's fairly easy to do.

seanpatrick

« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2013, 03:38:21 pm »

Ok,  thanks very much for the info!
Pages: [1]   Go Up