INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Wow. Ok so no sticky with useful ready made expressions I guess?  (Read 1539 times)

jctcom

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Rush - Styx - Yes - Porcupine Tree - Staple Food!

Geeze Jim.

I know that I posted the majority of that post in another thread at the end of a long discussion where most people will never find it.  I was posting as an example of what I thought should go into a Sticky thread.

I guess it just wasn't a good idea.

Carl.

MrC

• Your life is short. Give me your money.
Re: Wow. Ok so no sticky with useful ready made expressions I guess?
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2013, 03:24:23 pm »

I'll respond based upon what I think this thread is asking or suggesting.

You'd like to see a place where there is a library of useful expressions and some discussion on how they work.  And your suggestion is a single sticky thread on Interact.

The wiki is a perfect place for that, and there are some already there.  In fact, there are expressions for various needs throughout the wiki and Interact.

I personally believe stickied threads should be reserved for only the most urgent and paramount of information.  Expressions, as fun as they are, don't meet that criteria.

The problem with the request is that is assumes others should spend the time and energy to go find all those items, collect them, enter them into a cohesive document, and provide the necessary commentary.

I'll suggest that the amount of work it takes far exceeds the small amount of time it takes to do some searching of the wiki, or Interact, and therefore has marginal returns.  And it is very clear from my own experience writing documentation for others that those who ask for it rarely have the interest or ability to contribute.  So to me, these requests are tantamount to "I want someone else to make my life easier".  I think we all want that.
The opinions I express represent my own folly.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2013, 03:42:54 pm »

I personally believe stickied threads should be reserved for only the most urgent and paramount of information.  Expressions, as fun as they are, don't meet that criteria.
I also feel that way.  If we stickied everything that is proposed as a sticky, this would be a very gooey place.

jctcom

• Rush - Styx - Yes - Porcupine Tree - Staple Food!
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2013, 03:59:04 pm »

That's fine. as far as putting the info as a "Sticky".  But I still think that a clear library of expressions would be very useful for those of us that are not now and never will be programmers.

They open up volumes of functionality with the program and although I am not a programmer I can take a look at a ready made example and possibly modify it to fit my needs instead of posting a request for help on creating a new expression every time I might need one.

And I'm sorry Jim but I just found your initial response kind of cold and unhelpful.  I understand you may be busy dealing with tonnes of people having more important issues.

I just think you could have given me a bit more of a useful response when I was attempting to propose something that I thought the community would benefit from.  Maybe I was wrong.  but I don't think I am the only newbie here who thinks that a concise area of ready made expression would be helpful and perhaps alleviate a small portion of the requests that you guys have to deal with.

(Not that I had any problems interacting with you guys during the creation of my expression. It was a great experience).

In any case that is my "additional" 2 cents.

Carl.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2013, 05:19:18 pm »

MrC and Marko spent a lot of time on the wiki topic on expressions, so that's a good place to go for information.

A search may also help.
Pages: [1]   Go Up