INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Do I need a powerful computer as an HTPC?  (Read 4326 times)

Krazykanuck

• Galactic Citizen
Do I need a powerful computer as an HTPC?
« on: August 09, 2013, 10:14:26 am »

I wish to install an HTPC so that I can use theater view instead of DLNA.
The HTPC will only ever be asked to play content from the media centre server.
I am confused about how much horsepower I need.
In other words is a GPU based bookshelf system good enough to play blu-ray quality video/audio off the server or do I need to invest in a larger more powerful cpu/video card system.  

Arindelle

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Do I need a powerful computer as an HTPC?
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2013, 07:29:33 am »

I am not the one that should be responding to you, but seems like the xperts are on vacation ... it really depends.

If you want the gold standard Madvr maxed out, seems like you still need a gpu with some guts ... if you are not that obssessed you can run some pretty acceptable stuff through the intel chip, here's a good  article about what the HD4600 integrated Haswells are doing .. will the HD5000 be available is the question maybe

http://www.missingremote.com/review/intel-hd-4600-madvr-performance

Krazykanuck

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2013, 08:16:25 pm »

Thanks for the reply.

I just wasn't sure if any processing is being done at the server when just running as a client on the HTPC.
If what your saying is that server is simply sending the requested file and all the processing is happening on the client then that gives me some idea of what I need to do for a HTPC build in my case.
If the server is doing some other magic first then does that change what I need for a client.

Thanks again
Robert

astromo

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2013, 04:05:47 am »

My system summary is in my signature. I'm working in CPU/GPU mode because my case selection and hardware set up precludes using a graphics card while keeping everything silent.

I pull video across a network from my home NAS into the HTPC running MC and display to a 46" LED flat screen.

With Intel HD Graphics 2500 and  Red October Standard I'm happy enough and (the acid test) my significant other (the TV-aholic in the family) doesn't complain. MC just chugs away. I really chill by listening to audio via MC, so I'm probably not the best reference point.

If the HT in your HTPC means a 20' screen and you're a discerning viewer, then I'd expect that all the video grunt you can lay your hands on will provide you a benefit. If you're not so fussed &/or you're $ constrained, then opt for a lower spec CPU.

One approach could be (and this assumes that your selected mother board is up for change), start with a lower end CPU that you can pick up on the cheap and see how you go. Upgrade as your needs dictate.
MC31, Win10 x64, HD-Plex H5 Gen2 Case, HD-Plex 400W Hi-Fi DC-ATX / AC-DC PSU, Gigabyte Z370 ULTRA Gaming 2.0 MoBo, Intel Core i7 8700 CPU, 4x8GB GSkill DDR4 RAM, Schiit Modi Multibit DAC, Freya Pre, Nelson Pass Aleph J DIY Clone, Ascension Timberwolf 8893BSRTL Speakers, BJC 5T00UP cables, DVB-T Tuner HDHR5-4DT

Arindelle

« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2013, 04:35:16 am »

I just wasn't sure if any processing is being done at the server when just running as a client on the HTPC.
If what your saying is that server is simply sending the requested file and all the processing is happening on the client then that gives me some idea of what I need to do for a HTPC build in my case.
If the server is doing some other magic first then does that change what I need for a client.
Hi Robert,

Just to make sure I wasn't steering you in the wrong way .... what I got is that you will be running JR's "MediaServer" instead of DLNA ... not to be confused for example with a NAS as the physical file server in a system. I assume you will be rendering and controlling playback through your HTPC. You will have at least one MC install (your HTPC?) running MediaServer and MC, any additional PCs with MC installed in the Network would be the clients. However, if that is not the case and you are using the HTPC as a controller and another PC with jriver installled is doing the actual playback -- you won't need a powerful PC on it.  Anything rendering needs some GPU power to run maxed out settings with higher resolution screens (why I linked the article). If Red October is all you need, like Astroma says, you don't need a lot of uumph (although with prices these days, something with an HD4000 chip would be less risk IMO). If you are going to use MadVr though a low-end i3 alone just won't cut it. For info: on lower Madvr settings I have no problem with an i5 with HD4000 for simple playback with no dedicated GPU, however.

So you need to decide if you are you going for MadVR or not and will the HTPC be playing back the media in question.

As I said I'm an audio guy primarily. Unlike me, some of the guys like Glynor, Inflatable Mouse, 6233638 really know their video ... their comments in this post might be interesting to you http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=80353.0.

Krazykanuck

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2013, 10:29:16 am »

Thanks for the replies.
Not sure how I missed the topic you linked, thanks.
I have been a JRiver customer since V11 but audio only.
I am just starting to play with video.
I have mediacentre running on a pc that serves the house as well as at work and on my mobile.
My tv is 46" sharp aquos. I can play content using dlna.
It is not very elegant so I thought a HTPC just running the MC client getting content from my mediacentre server would be better.
It sounds like the server has nothing to do with the video quality it is all up to the client.
Pages: [1]   Go Up