INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: MKV stutter during play back.  (Read 11196 times)

Hellmont

MKV stutter during play back.
« on: August 09, 2013, 05:51:25 pm »

Hello all,

I am new to JRiver Media Center and I have found it impossible to play back any of my MKV files with out any stutter. I have Arcsoft TMT5 and it plays 70% of my MKV files flawlessly. The other 30% of my files are played using Win Media Player with Shark 007 codecs. These are not really playable with TMT5 the video slows down and the audio and video go out of sync.
I decided to use JRiver media player because I would like the idea of a one stop shop. One Media Player to rule them all.

About my System:
PC:
CPU : i7 3930k
Ram : 32GB
OS  : Win 7 64bit
HD  : 256GB in Raid 0
GPU :3 Evga GTX 580 3Gb SLI capable ( when I run movies SLI is disabled)
       1 Evga GTX 280 1GB exclusively for Physics
Audio Card: Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Professional 70SB088600002 7.1 Channels 24-bit 96KHz PCI Express x1 with PAX Drivers

Projection: Epson 5010,

Sound: Pioneer Elite with 7.2  with the exception of my two Sunfire Subs everything else is Electrostatic Speakers.

On my PC there is no antivirus.
I have steam, origin and other video games
I also have TMT5,PowerDVD12 Ultra,Win Media Player12, Itunes and Quicktime.

I stream my MKV Files from my 4, 3TB Western Digital Network Drives
In order to make TMT5 play MKVs flawlessly I change the refresh rate on the desktop GPU to 23Hz which is the equivalent of 23.96fps and I disable Win Aero theme and nvidia SLI.
I have tried this with JRiver and nothing. I even tried running my desktop to 60Hz and nothing.
I have been in the option section and I have stripped down the system to nothing and I have not been able to get JRiver to play a single MKV movie file flawlessly. I reset but didnt uninstall the Shark 007 Codecs. I am thinking of uninstalling TMT5, POWERDVD12 in a desperate attempt to make JRiver work?

I was reading up on codecs? does anybody know the proper codecs to use with MKV files. Are MKV completely uncompressed files? is there anything better than MKV files? Since I use projection I am always looking for the very best way of storing my blurays in Data without compression?

If anyone of you would be kind to lend a helping hand I would appreciate it greatly.

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: MKV stutter during play back.
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2013, 05:58:57 pm »

In Tools > Options > Video, have you enabled VideoClock, and the refresh rate switcher?

Hellmont

« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2013, 06:09:49 pm »

I tried that. It only laughed at me and kept on stuttering. Granted the stuttering doesnt stop the movie or slow it down but it does take you away from the movie experience.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2013, 06:27:59 pm »

Try both Red October Std and HQ in Video settings.  Try toggling hardware acceleration.

Don't worry about codecs.  MC uses its own.

A virus checker can also cause problems.

Are the files local or on a network drive?

Hellmont

« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2013, 06:34:13 pm »

I just uninstalled the shark007 codecs and activated the Red October HQ with video hardware acceleration and smooth video play back.

I uninstalled the shark007 codecs and it ran a bit smoother. Im curious to see how things will run with this new update.

BTW thank you all for your kindness in helping me with this issue

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2013, 07:11:15 pm »

and thank you for your patience.

mbagge

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2013, 09:44:28 am »

Are MKV completely uncompressed files?
An .mkv file contains audio, video and subtitle streams and a program like Mediainfo can tell you the details of what is in the streams, what codec been used and such. It can be found here: http://mediaarea.net/en/MediaInfo
Pages: [1]   Go Up