INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: MC 18 slowing down  (Read 2689 times)

ferday

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
MC 18 slowing down
« on: August 09, 2013, 07:29:20 pm »

MC18 started first by not keeping tagging changes (re tag, re tag, re...)

then, not ripping discs anymore (audio or DVD) it just fails at some point in the process with an error could not finish rip

now it's bogging down, and sometimes freezing up entirely when trying to do simple operations

so....going to do a reinstall.  is it as simple as deleting and reinstalling?  is there anything special to do?

thanks!

MrC

• Your life is short. Give me your money.
Re: MC 18 'meltdown'
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2013, 07:31:28 pm »

This would almost surely seem to imply something else was going wrong on the system.  Is the system behaving in all other aspects perfectly well, and MC is the only source of trouble?  Or are there other problems you're seeing?
The opinions I express represent my own folly.

ferday

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2013, 07:34:14 pm »

thanks MrC!!

everything else is running ok, i've ran a multitude of high end scanning utilities to make sure

MC18 also chewing up waaaay more than normal memory (but not processor)

it worked for several weeks after i upgrade from MC17 but then this all started....i haven't changed anything out of the ordinary, as it brought my mc17 settings with it.

MrC

« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2013, 07:40:07 pm »

Scanning, as in, Virus Scanners?

If so, to test, try 1. disabling them, and 2. configuring them to avoid MC's processes and the media folders.

ferday

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2013, 07:56:11 pm »

yup virus/spyware etc. scanners and registry junk

all of my resident scanners were set up to "ignore" MC but will try again. 

is there any problems with just reinstalling to make sure?  i know i read about it somewhere in these forums and there's something nagging at me that it isn't a simple reinstall....can i just do it normally?

thanks again!

MrC

« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2013, 07:59:59 pm »

Sure, you can uninstall / reinstall.  You might keep the settings intact when you uninstall.  The uninstaller will ask you.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2013, 08:45:35 pm »

Scanning, as in, Virus Scanners?

If so, to test, try 1. disabling them, and 2. configuring them to avoid MC's processes and the media folders.
We've seen problems in the past where disabling wasn't enough, but uninstalling was.  You could read the "Weird and Wonderful" thread (linked in my signature).

ferday

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2013, 09:44:57 pm »

ok, reinstall completed...

now if i even put a disc in the drive the program freezes immediately.  if i put the disc in the drive and let it settle down, i can start MC and play media etc, but if i tell it to recognize the disc it freezes

all of the other function seem to be unaffected, although i'm now having server problems (reinstall gave me a new password, but no problem i've done that before)

ripping is a huge part of my MC experience...please help!

note:  i've currently disabled all antivirus, firewall, etc.  
note2:  i have 2 optical drives, both cause the same hassle

and another edit:  i can't even try to open any options for burning, or disc.  all other aspects of the program appear to function but if anything to do with the optical drives, complete freeze

Samson

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2013, 10:08:36 pm »

I have had a similar experience when importing a huge library of media files for the first time. MC has taken a long time to 'digest' the info and is slow,hangs, crashes if you ask it to do something else etc. If leave it running overnight it 'catches up'. This of course may be irrelevant to your problem but has been my experience.

ferday

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2013, 10:17:11 pm »

alright, last post on this one

the audio rip works now, i've tried two CD's and all is good.

if i insert a DVD into the optical drive, MC18 automatically freezes, i don't even have to do anything.  just instant freeze, no matter which drive or which DVD i try

i can play the DVD fine using other programs, so it's definitely an MC18 problem....

any suggestions, anyone?

MrC

« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2013, 11:22:16 pm »

Follow through with JimH's advice...

ferday

• MC Beta Team
Re: MC 18 slowing down
« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2013, 12:43:25 pm »

Just thought I'd post back in case this helps anyone

Disabling ALL resident programs (not just virus scanners) helped a lot, I manegd to rip a couple DVD before the error popped up again.  I got curious and dug around for a very old transport I had in storage....everything seems to work fine (although slow LOL)

I did reinstall drivers for both transports, to no avail

I am going to pick up a new transport today, it defies coincidence that I have 2 faulty optical drives, but I will report back and edit this post once I've tried a brand new drive

Thanks for the help (and the title edit: i was frustrated LoL)

Arindelle

Re: MC 18 slowing down
« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2013, 01:18:08 pm »

Just my two cents, but would you have any programs that are set to run on default for the optical drive. I had Nero 9 (by mistake) on my PC and it would lock my system up when ripping with another program. Might just want to check before you buy a new drive ....

PS- strange the parallel comments about MC18 being slow -- since the last 5 updates or so I think its gotten even faster than before and that was already fast .... low memory usage, low CPU usage -- I seriously doubt it has anything to do with jrmc
Pages: [1]   Go Up