INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Server - giving access to JRiver but not sharing with others on network  (Read 2170 times)

daveman

• Galactic Citizen
  • I am still a baby user of JRiver :)

Hi there,

I am trying to change how my kids get access to media from my server.  I want them to be able to watch media through a DLNA connected TV set and not from there computers.  Thus, is there a way to set up my Windows 7 server so that JRiver can access the files but they are not accessed via the Homegroup?

I would think that this has something to do with permissions and sharing but have no idea how to set this up through JRiver.

thoughts?

MrC

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Your life is short. Give me your money.
Re: Server - giving access to JRiver but not sharing with others on network
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2013, 08:09:19 pm »

Select the top level media folder, right-click and disable sharing for the folder.
The opinions I express represent my own folly.

daveman

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2013, 08:14:40 pm »

When I do this, access to the files are restricted from other computers BUT the files also becomes restricted from MC18.  How do I provide permission to MC18 to get access to the files while restricting all others?

MrC

« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2013, 08:27:20 pm »

I'm pretty sure you can share with certain users using Homegroup sharing, so you would configure the server to share only with the MC server user.

It isn't clear to me if your MC server is also the fileserver, or if you have some NAS.  If the former, there's no sharing involved.  If the latter, only share to the user running MC on the MC server system.

Otherwise, You may have to switch from the Homeshare simple sharing model to the advanced sharing model.  But this requires a certain level of Windows (Pro I think).

daveman

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2013, 08:32:52 pm »

I use Windows 7 Ultimate.

I guess my question goes to how specifically do I do this? 

My main computer runs MC18 and access media that is both located in this computer and on the server.

I am not sure how to deal with permissions/sharing to allow only specific users to have access.  That is the issue (I guess) and more specific help would be appreciated/

dave

MrC

« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2013, 08:56:32 pm »

Again, for media on the same computer as the main MC, there is no sharing involved or required.  Just disable it for those folders.

For the other file server, can you describe the system, as I'm not sure we know what it is.  Or maybe you said it was Win 7 Ultimate.

daveman

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2013, 08:58:29 pm »

server is Windows 7 Professional

MrC

« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2013, 09:09:07 pm »

Ok, good.

Using the Homegroup permissions model, you can share with specific people.  To use this model, your user must be different from your children's user.  If this is the case, then select the top-level media folder on the file server, right-click, and select Share With... > Specific People.  Include your user on the MC server system, giving it read-write permissions.  Don't share with anyone else.  Now, other systems should not be able to see the share, unless they log in as you on those systems.

daveman

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2013, 09:30:56 pm »

When I type in my user name, it says "windows was unable to find XXX"

My main computer has a single user (Administrator) and I do not have a password associated with it for logging on (on powerup computer goes straight to desktop)

dave

MrC

« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2013, 09:54:43 pm »

There are essentially two types of sharing models in Windows.  The simple share model makes shares available with a password.  The advanced model bases decisions on user permissions.  But this model was designed with the idea that a Domain Controller was responsible for user accounts and authentication.  To use this model without a DC, you need to manually configure user accounts across all client systems.  And Windows uses these accounts both locally and for authentication for services.  But Administrator is special, otherwise, any Windows in the Workgroup would have full access to any other system.  So if you want to create these types of security sit-ups, you must move away from the Administrator-only configuration.

Windows 7 defined a simple Homegroup sharing model, which allows sharing with Everyone in the Homegroup, or specific users.  One a computer joins the Homegroup, it has access to all shared resources, unless they are shared for only specific users.

It might be worth your while to review one or more of the many How Tos or Sharing overviews, as the subject is non-trivial.\

Edit: these might be useful:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/file-sharing-essentials
   http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/share-files-with-someone
Pages: [1]   Go Up