INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Restrict Artist view of albums to full albums only  (Read 1947 times)

Don W

• World Citizen
Restrict Artist view of albums to full albums only
« on: August 12, 2013, 02:30:26 pm »

Hello all,

I have noticed that albums are marked as single artist so long as all tracks have same starting value for Artist, allowing each track to have different artists defined. For example, say there are two tracks in an album, one has Artist="Brian Eno; David Byrne" and the other has Artist="Brian Eno; James" then the album's Album Type is set to "Single Artist". What ends up happening in an [Artist] view of [Album] is that the album is listed under all three artists, but only under Brian Eno is the album complete. The listing for the album under David Byrne only lists the song which has David Byrne as one of the artists.

I know I could expand the listing under David Byrne to the full album using "Expand to full albums" results modifier in the view's rules for file display. But what I want is the reverse of that. I want to not display the album if it is not a full album. Is this possible?

Thanks in advance,
Don.

MrC

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Your life is short. Give me your money.
Re: Restrict Artist view of albums to full albums only
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2013, 03:05:43 pm »

I'm not seeing exactly what you are seeing, but it isn't surprising, as I believe Album Type (computed by MC's internal album analyzer) is broken and has been for some time.  I filled in an album with the following details of track: artist:

1: A;B
  2: A;C
  3-10: A

and the album type is marked as Single Artist complete (for all tracks).  I change track 1's artist to:

1: D;A;B

and the album is still marked as Single artist (complete).

So, until this issue is resolved, avoid relying on Album Type.
The opinions I express represent my own folly.

Don W

• World Citizen
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2013, 04:04:24 pm »

That's weird. I tried the exact same test and it worked as I described. When I changed 1. to "D;A;B" Album Type changed to Multiple Artists, immediately.

But regardless, what I actually want to do is not dependent on Album Type. I want to not display an Album for an Artist if the result does not contain all songs that are in the actual album, if that makes sense.

MrC

• Your life is short. Give me your money.
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2013, 04:19:08 pm »

I don't know that what you're asking can be done.
The opinions I express represent my own folly.

jctcom

• Rush - Styx - Yes - Porcupine Tree - Staple Food!
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2013, 07:25:53 pm »

I use the "Panes" view when browsing my artists etc.  I tested and was able to set one of the "Panes" to "Album Type" and when selecting "Single Artist (Complete)" then it only shows albums that had all tracks included and complete by a single artist.

Hopefully this helps.

I am also thinking that if it is possible to do this that MrC must be able to come up with an "expression" that can do it?  JK.

Carl.

jctcom

• Rush - Styx - Yes - Porcupine Tree - Staple Food!
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2013, 07:43:10 pm »

Also (And this may be closer to what you are looking for)

In "Artist View".

1. Click on the drop down arrow beside "Artists"
2. Click on "Customize View"
3. Click on "Set Rules for file display"
4. Under "Rules" Select "Album Type"  "Is"  Then I selected "Multiple Artists (Complete)" and "Single Artists (Complete)"

Select according to your preference but I believe the above settings should give you what you are looking for?

Then you can save the view.

Hope that helps.

Carl.

Don W

• World Citizen
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2013, 08:00:08 pm »

I already have a rule Album Type = "Single Artist (Complete)". Read my initial post carefully. Here's the basic issue. Given an album with 9 tracks, if track 1-8 have Artist = "A" and track 10 Artist = "A; B" then Album Type for all tracks is "Single Artist (Complete)". But, in a view of artist albums, the view for artist B includes the album, even though artist B was involved in only one track of the album. (This is true even when there is a rule Album Type = "Single Artist (Complete)")

Pages: [1]   Go Up