INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Christmas Movies  (Read 2603 times)

jdizzy623

• World Citizen
Christmas Movies
« on: August 14, 2013, 11:30:53 am »

I am trying to create a Christmas area off the root menu in Theater View.

Basically I have made a button (secondary) roller Called 'Christmas' and under it another button called 'Movies'.
The rule to show the movies are 1. Must be Sub Media Movie and 2. Must be Genre Christmas.

When clicked, it does as it should but the display has all the Christmas movies categorized under separate genres like Comedy, Action, etc.

How would I go about getting it just to list all the movies in alphabetical order rather than in groups by genres?

MrC

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Your life is short. Give me your money.
Re: Christmas Movies
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2013, 07:00:59 pm »

What Items to Show do you have under Christmas > Movies?
The opinions I express represent my own folly.

jdizzy623

• World Citizen
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2013, 08:11:53 pm »

Basically, under Christmas are:

Movies (all Christmas movies
Music (all Christmas albums)
Playlist (all Christmas genre, shuffled)

Everything works as intended except for movies which shows genre folders (comedy, action, adventure, etc) with only Christmas movies in the various folders.
I would like it just to show all movies with Christmas as genre sorted a-z (not in genre folders)

MrC

« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2013, 08:28:09 pm »

Hmmm, I don't see that.  I setup the same thing and see all the movie titles that are in the genre.

jdizzy623

• World Citizen
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2013, 08:59:51 pm »

Yet another mystery...
Thanks for trying.

I also though maybe setup a Root item and use expressions to drill down to movies/Christmas?

MrC

« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2013, 09:07:22 pm »

You also mentioned in your first post "Sub Media", rather than Media Sub Type.  I assumed that was a typo.  Or not?

What do your Genre values look like?

Can you show a screenshot of the Christmas > Movie level in Theater View?

What is the exact rule you specified in the Rules for file display (you can use the Import / Export button to copy and paste here, or use a screenshot).

Finally, a screenshot of your Theater View setup with Christmas selected under Items to Show.

jdizzy623

• World Citizen
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2013, 10:22:27 pm »

Yeah, it was a typo... dyslexic

I just realized that all the Christmas movies had more than 1 genre (hence the multiple folders).

Now I changed all to only Christmas genre and now it defaults to 1 folder when opened (year),
Click on that folder and it opens to another folder (directors),
Click on that folder and it opens to another folder called (actors),
Click on that folder and finally, there are the movies.

whew!

I'll check those other things you mentioned in morning.

MrC

« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2013, 10:23:54 pm »

Wow, something isn't right here.  If you can reply to the questions and requests above, we'll go from there.

jdizzy623

• World Citizen
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2013, 10:34:25 am »

Mr C,
I have attached several screenshots of hopefully what you asked for.
Disregard icons, etc as will not modify them until I get this working as intended.

Pic1 is main menu
Pic2 is rules
Pic3 is after clicking on Movies (Pic1) - as you can see it now has 1 folder (genre) displayed and if I click on that it will take me to (year), then (directors), then (actors), then finally the movies.
Thanks

MrC

« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2013, 11:43:41 am »

Ok, I figured it out and can now reproduce.  This is very difficult to diagnose, because there are no tell-tale hints in the Theater View customization screenshots to indicate why it doesn't work.  In fact, it is quite hidden and a challenge for any user to figure out.

You created your view using Library Item From Standard View, and selected the Video\Genre, Year, People, Events view.  This is what has created those extra drill-down categories.  Remove the "movies" item, and instead, create a new simple Library Item and nest it under Christmas, and call it Movies.  Now apply your rules to that item.

@Matt - this is an area that could use some improvement.  A Library Item from Standard View immediately below a Secondary Roller loses its visual signature in Options.  There is no way to identify and distinguish one of these from a standard Library Item, but the behavior is quite different and confounding.  EDIT: see my reply below.

jdizzy623

• World Citizen
« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2013, 12:33:23 pm »

Genius!

Yeah, for me it has been kinda hunt and peck with this area sometimes getting lucky and others getting frustrated.

Originally I had made this post about trying to get Seasons to show up for Shows but somehow figured that out. Then I read your post on getting the word 'Season' to show up rather than just the numbers and added that expression.

I will admit that MC can do most anything but getting to that point is sometimes difficult.
Thanks for your help and Merry Christmas  :D

MrC

« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2013, 12:49:54 pm »

Good to hear it works.

Actually, I realized upon reflection that the problem is not restricted to Library Item From Standard View.  Rather, it occurs whenever you promote (Unnest) a third level item that has a list of categories under Details.  The UI doesn't show these, but does use them.
Pages: [1]   Go Up