INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Newbie Query  (Read 1695 times)

digit3

Newbie Query
« on: August 15, 2013, 02:50:18 pm »

Hey all,

I was recommended to try JRiver by Bel Canto Design yesterday and have just started to dive into the information about the software prior to downloading it. I am currently using Foobar2000 w/o issues but have upgraded my audio system and am having trouble getting everything to work well. Bel Canto said that they have had the most success with JRiver as a media player for Windows based systems.

Currently I play music via external hard drives via USB to my laptop and out via USB to DAC. I am using a Win7 OS.

The bare basic question that I have is this: I see references to my files getting "loaded" into JRiver which can be done automatically or manually. I don't understand what this means. I have over 4TB of FLAC files on three separate external drives and cannot imagine that JRiver actually loads these all. With Foobar I just select what I want to listen to from a drive and Foobar plays it. Would I need to install JRiver on all of my external drives or would I just install it on my working "C" drive and then grab files to listen to per my normal regimen?

Told you I was a noob!

Any input would be appreciated!

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
Re: Newbie Query
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2013, 02:51:55 pm »

Welcome.

The 'Import' section here might help explain:
http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Getting_Started

Bel Canto is just a few doors down from us here in Minneapolis.  They're good guys.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

digit3

« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2013, 03:10:39 pm »

Thanks Matt!

So MC locates and analyzes my files in order to build the library I see. Would I plug in one hard drive at a time to my laptop to have MC do such work? Once completed would my entire library be shown each time I open MC though only part of it would be accessible depending on which HD was plugged in at the time?

How much space does MC need to do this analysis?
Everything that I have is in folders and sometimes several levels of subfolders. How does MC treat this in the library it builds?

i.e.
Folder #1 "Music"
Folder #2 "Live Music"
Folder #3 "Bob Dylan"
Folder #4 "1978"
Folder #5 "Dane County Coliseum, Madison, WI 110178"

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2013, 03:15:27 pm »

If you haven't tried MC, just download and install.  Most of this will happen without your intervention.

It takes little space.

MC arranges your music according to the tags.  You can fill the tags from the folder names, but that's a little advanced for someone who is just starting.

daones1

« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2013, 04:16:45 pm »

Okay, I too have a question that I know must have been asked and answered several times.  I can't seem to find the answers using the search function.  I have a dedicated home theater with an HTPC on which I have JRiver 18 and Windows 7.  Recently I invited some people over to watch my favorite scenes from different movies.  It got tiresome.  Starting a movie, jumping to my favorites scene, showing it, then moving on to the next one.  Is there a way that I can combine various scenes from multiple movies into a single file, so next time all I have to do is start that video and it will show all of my pre-selected scenes.  Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Bruce

MrC

• Your life is short. Give me your money.
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2013, 06:11:26 pm »

Welcome.

...Is there a way that I can combine various scenes from multiple movies into a single file, so next time all I have to do is start that video and it will show all of my pre-selected scenes.

Not really, but you can create Particles, where you define the Playback Range of each particle.

Select the movie, right-click and select Stacks > Advanced > Create Particle...  Then, select the "Play only this range..." option and enter the time range.  The Playback Range field is filled by the value you specify here.

You can now place your Particles in a playlist for sequential playback on Movie Night.
The opinions I express represent my own folly.
Pages: [1]   Go Up