INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Help for a MC/TV noob ...  (Read 1330 times)

wildcatknh

• Recent member
Help for a MC/TV noob ...
« on: August 17, 2013, 02:03:12 pm »

I wanted to get a little help understanding TV and my MC from you guys.  I have never before considered using MC for anything TV related, but have recently downgraded my cable TV plan because of rising prices, so I'm looking for new options.  I've looked around the forum here for some tips, but most of the things you guys are discussing seem more complex and in-depth to me ... someone who's just beginning to look at these features of MC.

If anyone could answer some very, very basic questions for me, I'd be extremely appreciative ... and please correct anything that I have wrong.

I still have an HD cable box/dvr with only the basic broadcast networks (ABC, CBS, FOX, etc.) and a few sports channels.  I currently use an HDMI connection from my cable box to my A/V receiver and then HDMI on to my TV.  In order for my PC and MC to decode and use TV streams, I understand that I'll need to add either an internal or USB TV tuner card of some sort. 

My questions ...

Am I still limited to whatever broadcast signal that I currently receive ... either from my cable box or with an HD antenna?  Basically, is there a way to get the broadcast channels that I gave up using only my PC, a tuner card and an internet connection?

Or is using a PC/MC combination for TV functionality basically just a different solution for a dvr and programming guide?

If the output from my HTPC is HDMI, would that be compatible if the new input from my cable box is coax cable (assuming that connection type for a new TV tuner card/USB)?

Thanks in advance for taking a minute to help me understand a couple of basics about TV and MC. 

HTPC - Win10 Pro, AMD Athlon II X4 645 3.1GHz, 8GB RAM, Nvidia GeForce GTX 970, MC23
XBox One X | LG OLED 55B7A | Sony STR-DN1080 AVR

Samson

• Galactic Citizen
Re: Help for a MC/TV noob ...
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2013, 04:45:41 am »

My understanding is that MC will work with various cable cards but only if you have a valid subscription ie it wont magically decrypt channels for you...I don't use it for cable so cannot answer definitively.

MC has inbuilt apps for things like Netflix streaming TV over the internet.No cable card or TV antenna required, just internet connection. Personally I still use a Roku box for this as it is specialized to this task and has huge variety of streaming channels (some free,some subscribe or PPV).Inexpensive Streaming on demand internet TV has totally replaced expensive cable subscription for our family and IMO is better. We are not huge sports fans so this may influence whether you stay with cable to get the exclusive cable live broadcasts.

I use MC for full OTA TV viewing,TV guide, and DVR function.Yes you need an antenna and either a TV card or external TV tuner like HDHomerun.

astromo

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Help for a MC/TV noob ...
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2013, 05:23:44 am »

Don't forget to cover the basics that are dealt with over in Wiki world:
http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Television
Check the FAQ page for more:
http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Category:Frequently_Asked_Questions

Also, there are the stickies at the top of this forum page. Especially useful if you encounter hassles is this one:
How to send MC logs related to TV to developers
MC31, Win10 x64, HD-Plex H5 Gen2 Case, HD-Plex 400W Hi-Fi DC-ATX / AC-DC PSU, Gigabyte Z370 ULTRA Gaming 2.0 MoBo, Intel Core i7 8700 CPU, 4x8GB GSkill DDR4 RAM, Schiit Modi Multibit DAC, Freya Pre, Nelson Pass Aleph J DIY Clone, Ascension Timberwolf 8893BSRTL Speakers, BJC 5T00UP cables, DVB-T Tuner HDHR5-4DT
Pages: [1]   Go Up