INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: list of supported hardware  (Read 2624 times)

lise

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
list of supported hardware
« on: August 18, 2013, 10:36:35 pm »

We are about to build a new htpc and we wanted to look at a list of supported hardware (hauppauge) before we buy any cards, but I can't for the life of me find such a list. Is there one?

A wise man once said don't count your years, but make your years count. Or was it beers?

astromo

• MC Beta Team
Re: list of supported hardware
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2013, 11:47:07 pm »

What kind of cards?

TV?

Take your keyboard fingers for a walk to INTERACT FORUM > Devices > TV Cards and TV > TV Devices Supported
http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=33741.0

Easy!   ;D
MC31, Win10 x64, HD-Plex H5 Gen2 Case, HD-Plex 400W Hi-Fi DC-ATX / AC-DC PSU, Gigabyte Z370 ULTRA Gaming 2.0 MoBo, Intel Core i7 8700 CPU, 4x8GB GSkill DDR4 RAM, Schiit Modi Multibit DAC, Freya Pre, Nelson Pass Aleph J DIY Clone, Ascension Timberwolf 8893BSRTL Speakers, BJC 5T00UP cables, DVB-T Tuner HDHR5-4DT

lise

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2013, 07:03:42 am »

astromo, Whatever cards are required to play Bluray, DVD, and off-air TV.

Thanks for the link. That thread is pretty old though (from 2008).
I was hoping there was a list somewhere that was more recent and in line with v19 which I will be loading on that machine.

A wise man once said don't count your years, but make your years count. Or was it beers?

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2013, 07:08:46 am »

The network tuners from Cetoncorp (InfiniTV) and Silicondust (HDHomerun) are nice.  Just put one on your network and any TV can record from it.

astromo

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2013, 04:32:42 pm »

The network tuners from Cetoncorp (InfiniTV) and Silicondust (HDHomerun) are nice.  Just put one on your network and any TV can record from it.

Agree, makes sense to network. I've gone for the Silicondust option. Works for me.
MC31, Win10 x64, HD-Plex H5 Gen2 Case, HD-Plex 400W Hi-Fi DC-ATX / AC-DC PSU, Gigabyte Z370 ULTRA Gaming 2.0 MoBo, Intel Core i7 8700 CPU, 4x8GB GSkill DDR4 RAM, Schiit Modi Multibit DAC, Freya Pre, Nelson Pass Aleph J DIY Clone, Ascension Timberwolf 8893BSRTL Speakers, BJC 5T00UP cables, DVB-T Tuner HDHR5-4DT

astromo

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2013, 04:39:18 pm »

astromo, Whatever cards are required to play Bluray, DVD, and off-air TV.

Thanks for the link. That thread is pretty old though (from 2008).
I was hoping there was a list somewhere that was more recent and in line with v19 which I will be loading on that machine.

Maybe I missed something during install but I'm pretty sure I don't need a special card to play BD, DVD or stream internet TV (assuming that's what "off-air" means).

For BD/DVD, the key is an optical drive that can work with the respective format. For internet TV, a connection to the internet's required. Check the wiki / forum for help there.

If you mean some kind of sophisticated sound card for digital sound processing of the video's audio tracks then that's another matter. Have a wander around:
INTERACT FORUM > Devices > Sound Cards, DAC's, Receivers, and Speakers
and see what you find. Not sure what the wiki says but also have a look there for sake of completeness.

jrwhite

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2013, 05:58:11 pm »

@Jim, thanks.  It's been quite a while, I hope you're doing well.  The SD stuff looks cool.  Both the SD tuner/capture device and the new TV HTPC would both be on the same Gb switch, so this would probably work, and makes the transition from the old HTPC to the new one much easier, as things are going to be moved around in stages, and being able to locate the capture device separately, close to an existing antenna coax feed will make my life so much easier.  BTW, in preparation, finally tried sending streams from our current TV HTPC to our livingroom receiver via DLNA using Gizmo.  Everything worked perfectly on the first try, receiver automatically switched inputs.  Brilliant.  Good job!

@astromo, thanks too.  Lise is the MC guru of the house, but I'm the tech guy.  What I was asking her to find here was a list of modern supported ATSC tuner/capture devices.  Sorry about the confusion about BluRay / DVD playback.  As I mentioned to Jim, the SD HDHomerun-duel seems perfect.  If MC can see and manage the tuners, allow us to watch live, and manage scheduled recordings, that's exactly what we need.  I'm kinda tempted to wait for the HR4 to get realtime h.264 transcoding to save disk space.  I'm not sure if that would have an impact on MC compatibility though.  Jim .. any comment on that?

Thanks again guys,

Jonathan

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2013, 06:14:33 pm »

Hi Jonny!  It has been a while.  Aloha.

I'd just get the current model and sell it on ebay later if you want to upgrade.  If you do much recording, you'll want a lot of drive space anyway.

astromo

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2013, 02:42:19 am »

@astromo, thanks too.  Lise is the MC guru of the house, but I'm the tech guy.  What I was asking her to find here was a list of modern supported ATSC tuner/capture devices.  Sorry about the confusion about BluRay / DVD playback.  As I mentioned to Jim, the SD HDHomerun-duel seems perfect.  If MC can see and manage the tuners, allow us to watch live, and manage scheduled recordings, that's exactly what we need.  I'm kinda tempted to wait for the HR4 to get realtime h.264 transcoding to save disk space.  I'm not sure if that would have an impact on MC compatibility though.  Jim .. any comment on that?

Thanks again guys,

Jonathan

All cool Jonathan.

I can't find anything more definite about the release of the HDHR4 than this:
http://www.engadget.com/2013/01/08/silicondust-announces-two-new-hdhomerun-network-tuners-with-tr/
and even that is conjecture. I know from personal experience that the best technical solution will often have to wait if there's a drive from the family to have TV with video recording ... family comes first. Generally best not to place them 2nd because they always seem to find a way of making it to 1st place. Not that I'm complaining. Just the way it is.

I'm lucky in that I've had good and long service from the HDHR3 units I've got on the job and my needs are simple. I'm not streaming signals all over the place. My main push for a network tuner was to avoid chewing up a USB port and my PC case is not conducive to a TV card. All that said, I'd like to invest in an upgrade if/when it makes sense.

jrwhite

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2013, 08:01:42 am »

@Jim, might just do that.

@Astromo, I ran across some mentions of HDR4 in the SD forums.  Apparently it was supposed to be released in mid 2013.  No matter, your report, those on AVS, and on the SD forums themselves all indicate the HDHR3 is rock solid .. the most important factor, as hell has no fury like a women who's vampire show didn't record.

There's no pressing need at the moment, as we currently have satellite with an HDPVR receiver and BluRay player with Netflix, so we have the luxury of running both systems in parallel during the cutover. 

The impetus is two-fold.  First, to drop the $80/month satellite service, the second to use MC for management and display of all TV sources ( we currently use MC for music and photos on one server, and movies for our theatre on another .. TV is the last holdout ).  Finally we'll have a single platform for all media and displays in the house, and be able to use Gizmo to control them all.

Once again, thanks for the advice guys.

Pages: [1]   Go Up