INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Video playback problems  (Read 1466 times)

Hoho234

• Recent member
Video playback problems
« on: August 18, 2013, 03:41:46 am »

I am so very pleased with the way my audio files sound with 19. Huge difference compared to 13 - 18.

Now my Video and Movie Collection is a disappointment. I cannot get them to sound good.

I have to have the volume turned way up and the Video Aspect Ratio needs to be adjusted even when I have it set to "preserve". I have to have DSP setting set on Small Speaker Mode or Night Mode to have a halfway decent sound.

I set the Parametric Equalizer up to 20db for my movies where as I have it set at 3db for music.

I normally use Media Player Classic for Videos and Movies. I have never had any problems with sound or aspect ratio using that program.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Video playback problems
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2013, 07:06:33 am »

Is it possible you're losing some of the channels?

« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2013, 11:08:45 am »

1. Are you downmixing multichannel audio to stereo? This will be much quieter than stereo music.
2. Have you tried using Volume Leveling with video?

shAf

« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2013, 11:18:25 am »

1. Are you downmixing multichannel audio to stereo? This will be much quieter than stereo music.
2. Have you tried using Volume Leveling with video?

I'm having similar problems with music versus movies (mp3/m4a versus mkv) ... e.g., comfortable volume levels for my AVR are approximately -40db versus -20db respectively (i.e., movies are more attenuated).

The mystery is ... if I apply volume leveling for both (presumably by analyzing audio for both music and movies, and enabling DSP volume leveling), why are not the volumes more alike?  Is there a way make the volume adjustment different with respect to format?

TIA  :)
Edit: let me include the DSP info for both ...
cheerios from the Avalon Peninsula, Newfoundland

« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2013, 01:24:20 pm »

I'm having similar problems with music versus movies (mp3/m4a versus mkv) ... e.g., comfortable volume levels for my AVR are approximately -40db versus -20db respectively (i.e., movies are more attenuated).

The mystery is ... if I apply volume leveling for both (presumably by analyzing audio for both music and movies, and enabling DSP volume leveling), why are not the volumes more alike?  Is there a way make the volume adjustment different with respect to format?
There are a few issues here. Firstly, you have Adaptive Volume set to Night Mode, which is a dynamic adjustment and counteracts any Volume Leveling.
You need Adaptive Volume set to Peak Level—or preferably disabled—for leveling to work correctly. This will be significantly quieter than you currently have, but it is required for good leveling.

Secondly, films often have a greater dynamic range than music, which often exceeds the headroom that volume leveling has with the current target of -23 LUFS. For films to be properly leveled, you would need at least -30 LUFS.

Thirdly, album-based leveling was changed to use the loudest track on an album, rather than the average level for albums—this means that most albums sound too quiet now, and are no longer level when they are part of a mixed playlist.

Fourthly, when downmixing multichannel audio (which is common with films) to stereo—though it seems that you are not—Media Center can only do a very rough approximation of the volume level.
I feel that Media Center really needs to have an option to create a downmixed analysis for videos, because it's just not very even right now. It's better than nothing though.

shAf

« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2013, 02:30:36 pm »

There are a few issues here. Firstly, you have Adaptive Volume set to Night Mode, which is a dynamic adjustment and counteracts any Volume Leveling.
You need Adaptive Volume set to Peak Level—or preferably disabled—for leveling to work correctly. This will be significantly quieter than you currently have, but it is required for good leveling.

Well ... that fooled me!  I've been able to achieve similar volume levels, music v movie, by disabling Adaptive Volume.  That's a shame--it definitely helped with movie audio, i.e., to keep conversation dialog at a level comparable with the movie's sound effects (... I post new sound paths below ...)

Secondly, films often have a greater dynamic range than music, which often exceeds the headroom that volume leveling has with the current target of -23 LUFS. For films to be properly leveled, you would need at least -30 LUFS.

Not sure what you mean here(?)  Is "LUFS" under my control?

Thirdly, album-based leveling was changed to use the loudest track on an album, rather than the average level for albums—this means that most albums sound too quiet now, and are no longer level when they are part of a mixed playlist.

If this is true, why doesn't JR offer a volume leveling parameter (similar to previous versions) that allows overriding this ("track based" leveling)?

I feel that Media Center really needs to have an option to create a downmixed analysis for videos, because it's just not very even right now. It's better than nothing though.

I suppose this is all JR's work in progress ... but I'd like JR to find a way to apply something like "Night Mode" adaptive leveling to movie formats, while still allowing for the user to use JR audio settings for making all formats play at a similar volume level(?)

Thanks for you input!! (... whatever you real name is ...grin...)  :)
cheerios from the Avalon Peninsula, Newfoundland
Pages: [1]   Go Up