INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Can't revert to 7.2 (again)  (Read 1457 times)

MikeFowler

Can't revert to 7.2 (again)
« on: March 17, 2002, 02:36:38 am »

(replying to own previous topic, and suggestions from others; sorry if breaches etiquette)

I've uninstalled MJ8, and gone thru the registry, deleting all keys with 'JRiver', 'J River', 'JRiver', 'JRiver', 'MediaJukebox', 'Media Jukebox' (yes, all of these - around 100 entries left behind: no wonder registry gets so big).
I've then tried reinstalling 7.2; after restarting Windows (XP, incidentally), I try to run MJ7.2 (it's on the Start Menu, etc.). I still get 'Failed to initialize registration control', then terminates.
If you instal 8 (albeit beta), does this then prevent you from using 7.2? (8 does not have a Basic version, so you have to buy it after 30 days' trial, whereas I want to revert to 7.2 Basic).
If so, is this a dubious practice?
Ah well, MusicMatch Jukebox here I come (one highly dissatisfied user)

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
RE:Can't revert to 7.2 (again)
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2002, 04:02:13 am »

Bye, I wish you well
Retired Military, Airborne, Air Assault, And Flight Wings.
Model Trains, Internet, Ham Radio
https://MyAAGrapevines.com
https://centercitybbs.com
Fayetteville, NC, USA

Mr.|PLS|John

« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2002, 06:00:03 am »

I believe that if you remove everything about Media Jukebox from your files, except your music on the C hard drive, then download MJ Version 7.2 from the net, it has to work. Then import all your music to the Jukebox.

Callithumpian

• Galactic Citizen
  • Subvert the Dominant Paradigm
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2002, 12:44:59 pm »

It seems that simply starting a 30 day trial period with the beta product prevents a user from going back to the previous "basic" service.

I also think this is dubious practice, more in keeping with the Reals of the world, and, in the end, false economics.

Alternatively Mike, you could just fork out the $25 bucks and get yourself a bargain.
You would receive MJ8 in all its glory and V9 when it comes, if current policy continues.
Even at beta with some niggles, MJV8 is better than MMJ or any of the others that I've used.

zevele1

« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2002, 12:47:16 pm »

I had the same problem with a registered licence.Only reformat/clean install as solution

zevele1

« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2002, 12:47:26 pm »

I had the same problem with a registered licence.Only reformat/clean install as solution
I mean with a 7.2 licence,when trying to reverse to 7.2 after a poor try to beta 8,i had the same problem

Udo_1

« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2002, 12:09:43 am »

I had some problems with the 227 build (MJ crashes when i open the OPTIONS icon) and so I tried to install an privous version (217). It comes up with this error, so some of the JRiver guys should have a clue for this, because cleaning the hard drive shouldn't be a discussable solution.

I'm talking about a registrated version!

Udo

Callithumpian

• Galactic Citizen
  • Subvert the Dominant Paradigm
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2002, 12:44:19 am »

In another thread, from the most senior JRiver source...
"MJ8 is almost dressed up for Sunday School and you want to go play baseball."

If MJ8 goes out all ill-mannered like this, the teacher is gonna pull its pants down and smack its bum in front of the whole class.

zevele1

« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2002, 06:39:12 am »

There is a solution,as far as i know: rebot BEFORE uninstall-rebot AFTER unninstall-rebot AFTER install
To be sure best to rebot on safe mode and unistall.
Many people have this problem.I think is even more than a bug it is a great NUISANCE
If you have a look at Rivers folder,you may have only a dll in it.HERE IS THE PROBLEM.
You cannot delete this dll.You have to go to directory and edit,if you know how to do it.I do not know,so i cannot help
I did 2 reformat/clean unstall in 7 days!
Because there is an other problem.If you want to reverse to 7.2 or a previous number of 8,it is because you have problems.All the problems OR the fact to delete MJ and to still have the dll makes system restore kappout.
As we say in french:'it can be worst,but you have to be really unluky to get worse than it'

you get the problem if you do not rebot Before uninstall.From here it looks there is no solution

LCtheDJ

« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2002, 02:40:54 pm »

No joy here.

I rebooted into safe mode.  Uninstalled MJ.  Rebooted.  Installed 7.2.  Got "Unable to intialize registration control" error.

I can't install 8.0.227 on a machine with a Pentium Pro processor because v8 requires MMX and the Pentium Pro doesn't have MMX.  I can't install 7.2.280 because it won't intialize registration control.

It looks like I'm up the JRiver without a paddle.

How about it JRiver people, can this be cured?

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2002, 02:46:53 pm »

LCtheDJ

that must be a very slow computer if it does not have MMX
Fayetteville, NC, USA

LCtheDJ

« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2002, 02:55:02 pm »

It's a 1996 Hewlett Packard Vectra with a 150 Mhz Pentium Pro, 1.1 GB drive, 32 MB ram, Windows 98SE.  Yes, it is sloooow.

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2002, 03:02:14 pm »

166 mhz is the min for MJ, per something i read or jim or someone from j river told me.
Fayetteville, NC, USA

sekim

« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2002, 03:09:33 pm »

I know zevele10 has been having some problems and tried to install \ uninstall from safemode. But, do all the JRiver folders have to be removed? The most obvious is in program files but there is another in windows under temp files. At least there is on my machine. Its listed as RarSFX0. How about yours?

zevele1

« Reply #14 on: March 18, 2002, 03:24:11 pm »

LCtheDJ
Start in safe mode=uninstall
rebot and start again in safe mode ,try to delete the Rivers folder in programs
If you cannot delete the folder cause you get "cannot delete because Windows need it or use it"[i do not remember]- there is nothing i can tell you to do.Only reformat/clean install
I saw on an other post that MAYBE an other build will solve this problem
I AM REALLY SURPRISE THATUNTIL NOW WE DO NOT GET ANY ANSWER FROM MEDIAJUKEBOX staff
Sure ,even with the bugs 'it is easy to feel that 8 final will be a monster,a total killer,one program like no other .But this problem needs a solution and FAST

zevele1

« Reply #15 on: March 18, 2002, 03:49:09 pm »

MachineHead
My first Metal nigth.4 bands and a LOT of beer..I did not see your post
Maybe you have the solution with the temporary folder.I do not know  and never had a look
I have 7.2 on my new clean install and do not feel to give an other try to all this mess
Except if i can be to any help to Rivers staff in doing it
It is logical not to delete the Rivers folder,cause you want just to reverse to an other number
When you start to have the problem,you try anything,and,in this case,it is very logical to delete the folder.As far as i understand,if you do not rebot before uninstall=KAPPOUT!
safe bot or not
On my clean sunday install i gave a try to the last build=big problems
After rebot in safe mode and uninstall-rebot,to install 7.2 was not a problem
I now use 7.2,and it works fine
I did not delete the Rivers folder when i uninstalled 8,i just reboted BEFORE uninstall it

Rusty

« Reply #16 on: March 23, 2002, 04:47:05 pm »

Well I'm having big trouble (as usual). This Beta Version 8.0.234 (just like the last) as soon as I try to open MJ gives me a complete dark grey blank full screen which then turns completely black. I can usually get around it by using the Escape key, I usually get an enlarge mouse pointer as well & right clicking gives me an enlarged MJ part menu & I get in by clicking on a "Windowed" setting.
I have persisted with Version 8 ... I completely FDisked my computer & re-installed Windows 98SE & all the hassle that goes with it. I also added another 128 memory stick, all it seems to no avail as MJ is still using up all my resources & giving me the ####s so much that I decided to give up with Version 8 & tried to revert to Version 7.

I tried going back to downloading Version 7, 2 times & both times it found a previous Version 7 .exe entry (which I didn't understand, since I had Fdiscked & clean installed Windows etc) & upon download completion it said I had to re-start Windows to complete the download (which I thought was strange as I hadn't come across this before) & both times when I did re-start Windows a little update install screen came up but no further download completion happened & when I tried to open MJ all I got was a first screen & that's where it locked. So I uninstalled Version 7 & had to go back to Verion 8 where I am at the moment. So it appears that there is no going back only forward.

So here I unhappily sit with big Version 8 MJ problems & I can't even revert back to Version 7 & get on with things ... I NEED HELP!

Regards Rusty - athertonbackpack@hotmail.com

JimH

• Miller drives a tall-masted tractor on the ocean
« Reply #17 on: March 23, 2002, 04:58:25 pm »

It is probably something else.  Video drivers?  DirectX?  Try IE/Tools/Windows Update.
Jim Hillegass
JRiver Media Center / Media Jukebox
Pages: [1]   Go Up