INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: HTC One 2013 Issues (Android 4.2.2)  (Read 5194 times)

marko

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
HTC One 2013 Issues (Android 4.2.2)
« on: August 21, 2013, 02:01:31 pm »

I've now spent enough time on this. I'll report what I'm seeing here and give it a bump every now and then. The phone is weird.

Connection:
If I connect the phone while locked, it does not enter 'debug' mode, starts charging just fine, and once unlocked, still stays out of debug mode and all applications except for MC, can see and browse the phone's storage folder. Before MC can see the phone, it (MC) needs to be restarted.

If I connect while the phone is unlocked, all is apparently good from the get-go, but the phone drops into debug mode.

Depending on its locked or unlocked status when connecting to the PC, the phone is treated as two separate devices, with separate settings in MC for "HTC One" and "HTC One (1)"

Syncing:
Sometimes works, sometimes doesn't. Too flakey to be reliable and I'm done watching syncs and checking results. All too often, MC will try to resync all of the audio in the sync playlist. Investigation shows that this is because MC is showing the existing audio on the phone without any [Album] or [Artist] information. Checking externally shows that the tag info is present and correct in the files, that incidentally, MC created and placed there earlier.

Despite being unchecked, MC is placing a 'Folder.jpg' in every folder it syncs to on the device. This leaves a mess when 'delete on sync' actually works as the folders get left with a single, unwanted jpg file inside them.
After sync, MC writes a playlist (pls) file into a "Playlists" folder on the device. This file is always an empty, zero byte file.

-----------------------

I accept that the phone presenting itself in different ways depending on its lock status is probably out of MC's control, it's annoying nonetheless and would be great if MC could get smart about it. I only have the one phone. At one point in my testing, MC was up to "HTC One (3)", though it's only ever "HTC One" in explorer.

-marko.

thorathome

• Junior Woodchuck
Re: HTC One 2013 Issues (Android 4.2.2)
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2013, 07:13:47 pm »

Thanks for spending time on this Marko.  I'm bummed because I specifically went the Android route for MC synch-ability. 

I'm still screwing around with the phone drivers you suggested, but don't see much progress, yet.  Maybe in two years, when this phone contract runs out and I can ditch my, otherwise wonderful, HTC One.   

Who'd have thought this wouldn't work?  Thanks again. 

butvk

« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2013, 03:25:20 pm »

Signing this up. Currently on HTC One (2) for whatever reason. Very unstable sync, now and again have to delete all files on the phone and sync all over from scratch.

Also, could it be possible that MC checks rating tags changes upon sync? Only solution I could find is to manually track changes .. :(

thorathome

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2013, 07:37:27 am »

Marko, et. al.   I had given up on synching my music with HTC One. 

You should take a look at doubleTwist's AirSync capability ($4.99).  They synch with iTunes (ugh) or Windows Media Player (ugh, ugh), then synch over a local WiFi connection to the HTC One.  doubleTwist is not sophisticated about how it manages media, but it does get music and playlists more or less right.  I currently use MisterPete's MC iTunes Syncronizer to do a one-way synch from MC to iTunes, THEN use doubleTwist to get music and playlists onto the HTC One.   It's convoluted, but it works. 

This over-the-air synching is a capability I would LOVE to see in MC.  You tried to help me with the HTC One and their screwy drivers months ago.  Much appreciated.  But this doubleTwist capability has brought my HTC One back in to the music game for me. 

Thought you should know.  Thanks again for all efforts. 

thorathome

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2014, 03:52:14 pm »

Marko, et. al. 

Got a breath of hope on the HTC One (ATT) and MC when I replaced my ageing XP machine with a brandy new Win 8.1 box. 
HTC was late with 8.1 drivers, but has published ones recently.  (Their Synch Manager software is still awful, though.  Awful.) 

With the HTC 8.1 drivers, I can 'see' the HTC storage in Windows as before, and manipulate files.  MC can see the music library in the HTC One, but only intermittently, sometimes when I connect/disconnect the USB (internet) connection sharing facility on the phone. 

So it's closer than before, but still not an open door between HTC and MC. 

BTW, the DoubleTwist software (which synchs HTC with iTunes or WinMediaPlayer) works well with my HTC One, both wired and wirelessly.  Not sure what they are doing differently. 

Sure would be nice to eliminate the MC->iTunes->HTC chain of command for music (and photos) synching and work straight from MC. 

Louis

• Junior Woodchuck
  • It only looks like an optical illusion
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2014, 06:20:25 pm »

I can report similar issues with the Sony Xperia Z1 regards unreliable sync requiring a deletion of files to go back to scratch for at least one sync before sync starts failing again. I haven't seen the problem of presenting as two different devices though.
I'm most interested in the DoubleTwist work around. Having reliable sync would be awesome and wirelessly would be a bonus, I must try it, even if it means having to use iTunes (ugh) as a go between.

thorathome

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2014, 05:30:22 am »

I'm still an MC fan, but have been using the MC -> iTunes ->DoubleTwist workaround for a year now. 

The MC iTunes Synch generally works as long as you do not expect any info to flow back to MC from iTunes.  I also delete Playlists in iTunes prior to running MC iTunes synch in order to get a good synch. 

Then DoubleTwist synchs with my HTC One.  Wireless seems to be more reliable that wired, but it works.  I paid a small fee to turn on their AirSynch capability. 

I have tried MC18 on WinXP, MC19 on Win 7 and 8.1, and have never been able to synch MC with the HTC One (ATT).  DoubleTwist works well enough, with all its baggage, to get music onto my phone. 

It appears from Interact that Android synching problems are widespread to the MC audience.  Somehow DoubleTwist figured out synching.  Their music software is still primitive, though, so I stick with MC on Windows, go to iTunes for my iPad and my Android.  Ugh. 

Good luck. 

marko

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2014, 06:00:28 am »

I gave up on this. Gizmo got some love and is now rock solid for me. My £15/pm all-you-can-eat data plan with no fair use limitation makes that a lot easier to say, of course.

I'm on the HTC One M8 now (a great improvement over the M7) and have never attempted syncing anything with it. I can't handle the disappointment when it inevitably fails!
Pages: [1]   Go Up