INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Can MC19 use volume levelling by track?  (Read 1367 times)

terrym@tassie

• MC Beta Team
  • Galactic Citizen
Can MC19 use volume levelling by track?
« on: August 24, 2013, 07:47:34 pm »

Hi,
I have an issue with the new volume levelling, I have downloaded radio shows which are grouped as "albums" because they are in the same radio series (the album tag is in the downloaded m4a file).
On MC18 I had track based volume levelling set so if a particular radio show from an "album" required -2.1db adjustment then that was what it got.

On MC19 if a particular show requires -2.1LU but there is another show in the "album" that is -4.1LU then the show that actually needs -2.1LU is replayed with -4.1LU which is incorrect and means I have to manually adjust the volume to get it to sound the same. Using adaptive volume doesn't seem to correct this as it again uses an album based adjustment so for example both the -2.1LU track and the -4.1LU track both get a fixed +3.1 peak level normalize.

Can you set MC19 so that it uses a track rather than album based volume levelling? I can't find any option for that in DSP studio.

On TV shows which are grouped as "albums" the individual track volume levelling is used which is what I need for radio shows.

The only workaround I have come up with so far is to put a radio show in its own playlist as a single track and then replay from there but it is a bit tedious.
" I like work: it fascinates me. I can sit and look at it for hours." -Jerome K. Jerome

adamt

• Galactic Citizen
Re: Can MC19 use volume levelling by track?
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2013, 03:54:22 pm »

Have you considered using "Night Mode"?  It will dynamically change the volume so that the loud and quiet parts of all the radio shows will be similar in volume.  Personally this is how I would like to listen to podcasts and radio. 
Adam Thompson, JRiver

InflatableMouse

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2013, 04:09:23 pm »

You could also give each one a different album tag, I think that will put the playlist in 'track based' mode instead of 'album based'.

• Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2013, 05:19:26 pm »

Albums will always use album-based leveling, and mixed playlists will use track-based leveling.
Currently albums will use the peak track level, but I think this should be changed so that it uses the average level, as using the peak level does not mix well in a playlist that contains other albums or tracks.

It has been requested that there be some way of marking an album as being a "mixtape" when it's actually a collection of tracks that have been taken from multiple sources though.
It seems that your radio shows might also fall under this category.

I wonder - is this music, or is it a talk show? Marking an album as a Podcast will force the tracks to use track-based leveling, rather than album-based leveling.
Even if it's music, perhaps this would work as a temporary measure?

Perhaps files with a Media Sub Type of Radio should use the same rule as Podcasts.

On TV shows which are grouped as "albums" the individual track volume levelling is used
Videos will always use "track-based" leveling, unless they are Music Videos. (which are treated as music)

terrym@tassie

• MC Beta Team
  • Galactic Citizen
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2013, 08:24:51 pm »

Thanks for the suggestions, I've fixed it to my satisfaction by changing the way I view the Radio show albums so I can select an individual music or talk show from the tree view.
So for music shows I group by album then (date and name), for talk or comedy I group by series then (season and episode).
Theater view also works as I can select an individual show to play.
Selecting an individual show always gets the appropriate volume levelling applied and I usually don't want to listen to a whole album of radio shows anyway.
" I like work: it fascinates me. I can sit and look at it for hours." -Jerome K. Jerome
Pages: [1]   Go Up