INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Trying to Tag/Rename, auto-fill Genre  (Read 3240 times)

thunderlips222

• Recent member
Trying to Tag/Rename, auto-fill Genre
« on: August 26, 2013, 12:30:56 am »

Hi everybody,

I have lots of songs so MediaCenter is the only option for managing them and I love it for this reason. My plan is to use Genre and Style Tags to move around/consolidate/classify all my songs. Songs are scattered on my internal hard drive as well as external hard drives.

So what I want to do is tag Genres:
--Alt-Folk
--Alt-Indie
--Punk etc.

And then tag Styles with subgenre-y info:
--Alt-Country
--Indie Rock
--Pop Punk  etc

I'd use the Genre tags to move/rename albums. Then filter through subgenres for certain ones that seem right to put in their own subgenre folder. This part is easy. Just takes some work.

My wish is that somehow this could be automated.. Because it will take me forever and I'm bound to lose consistency when labeling so many things.

So I wish I could set up a criteria that says something like:

if Artist = Jawbreaker, then Genre = Punk and Styles = Pop Punk.

The goal is instead of having to change the genre/style for each artist across multiple hard drives/folders one by one, I could have it use anything with Style filled in as the correct data to look up from. So I'd be able to filter for anything with an empty Style field and then find matches from the list of artists I've already updated to autofill the empty Style tags with the same style as the matched artist and that genre.

I think I could probably do this really manually with 2 sheets in an Excel workbook and the VLookup function. But I was wondering if there's a way to do it in MC.

Any advice/comments/other helpful threads on tagging/moving/organizing huge music collections also welcome!

Best,
Mike

Vincent Kars

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Trying to Tag/Rename, auto-fill Genre
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2013, 04:06:53 am »

Have a look at relational fields.
If you set a tag MyGenre as relational to Artist, all tracks by this artist will maintain the same value for MyGenre
http://www.thewelltemperedcomputer.com/SW/Players/JRiver/RelationalFields.htm

thunderlips222

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2013, 01:35:51 pm »

Thanks, Relational Fields seem very useful!

Is there a way to create a view that just lists Artists?

Since 99% of the time I'm tagging whole albums with the same genre & styles, it would be easier to be able to tag more artists that have the same genre/style if I could just see a list of artists instead of the whole album list.

MrC

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Your life is short. Give me your money.
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2013, 02:22:57 pm »

Sure.  Check out some words on how to create and customize views:

http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=68960.0
The opinions I express represent my own folly.
Pages: [1]   Go Up