INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: How to stop MC from deleting empty folders  (Read 1755 times)

andrewberg

• Galactic Citizen
How to stop MC from deleting empty folders
« on: August 30, 2013, 03:48:46 pm »

While a forum search showed that most users look for ways to have empty folders removed - how do I achieve the opposite?
The situation:
I have a folder, say called "Video Edits", created especially to store temporary videos on the local disk before they are edited, encoded etc. then moved to their final (external) disk location. Of course, the folder is added to my "auto import" list so I can see and check its contents.
Nevertheless, MC keeps deleting this folder once no more files are inside, forcing me to create the folder over and over agin... I've looked everywhere in options but found no setting to control this behaviour... Where's the trick?

Thank you in advance!
"To be is to do" (Socrates) - "To do is to be" (Sartre) - "Do be do be do" (Sinatra)

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
Re: How to stop MC from deleting empty folders
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2013, 03:52:25 pm »

Would it work to create a single file in the folder, like an empty text file?
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

andrewberg

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2013, 04:37:32 pm »

Would it work to create a single file in the folder, like an empty text file?
Funny, that's exactly what I did today! Should be a workaround if only one folder is affected...
In other words, MC simply does that without my input? Then why, searching for this issue, did I see other posts of users saying they "enabled removing empty folders" in MC 18 (sadly they didn't say how ;)...

"To be is to do" (Socrates) - "To do is to be" (Sartre) - "Do be do be do" (Sinatra)

marko

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2013, 07:34:21 am »

You will have been asked about this at some point. That dialogue comes with a 'don't ask again' check box that you may have checked in the past.

This leaves you two options...

1. Preferred and supported: Open MC's options and type reset in the search field. Hit the result that goes "Reset all confirmation messages". It will do exactly as expected.

2. Absolutely not supported, but possibly preferred by you: Reset just the empty folder confirmation....
Completely close MC.
Open regedit, browse to "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\JRiver\Media Center 18\Properties\Confirm"
Find "Remove empty folders" in the pane on the right, double click, change the one to a zero and ok your way out.
Go back to MC and you should now find it asks you about removing empty folders each time.

Personally, I prefer it not to ask, and use a zero byte txt file called zzz to keep it at the bottom of the file list, with the 'hidden' attribute set to keep MC from removing the few import folders I use when it empties them.

-marko

andrewberg

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2013, 01:57:38 pm »

You will have been asked about this at some point. That dialogue comes with a 'don't ask again' check box that you may have checked in the past.

This leaves you two options...

Thanks a lot for both helpful hints (although I'm using the German version, so 'reset' will probably not be found under options ;-)! Also, I'm pretty sure MC 18 never asked me to confirm "remove empty folder(s)", not during the few months that I've been using it... This may be one of the settings the updater/installer imports from a given earlier version... arguably making sense for most users.
It might be nice if the updater left us some choices on what settings should be imported in the process (but I guess that belongs into another thread ;-).

Pages: [1]   Go Up