INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Help setting up an "Anti-Playlist"  (Read 1441 times)

y2kbug77

Help setting up an "Anti-Playlist"
« on: August 31, 2013, 12:30:28 am »

I have a bunch of dubstep (yeah, yeah I know) songs in my library. I only enjoy listening to them when I'm really in the mood to. So I'm wondering if there is a way to setup a separate library solely for those songs. I want to be able to add music to my main library and just keep the dubstep locked away in a corner somewhere. That way when I have my library on random I don't have to constantly be skipping them when they come on.

Thanks in advanced.

kensn

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Help setting up an "Anti-Playlist"
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2013, 01:07:47 am »

A quick and dirty way would be to rate songs that you do not want to play random with 1 star and set your random play not to include 1 star tracks... Or Just exclude the artist from the random play...

Create a new Smartlist under Playlists > Smartlist and set the rules for it.

Right click on Smartlist > Add Smartlist and under Rules use the drop down arrow to select Artist. Then use the second drop down to select Is Not Any, then from the 3rd drop down select the artists you do not want. You can then random play your smartlist without any of those artists playing.

Ken
If(IsEmpty([Coffee Cup]), Coffee, Drink)

y2kbug77

« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2013, 01:26:54 am »

Thank you so much. I had no idea how to use the smartlist feature. Worked perfectly.

kensn

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2013, 01:28:27 am »

Cool Beans....
If(IsEmpty([Coffee Cup]), Coffee, Drink)

marko

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2013, 01:49:28 am »

Here, I keep a playlist I call "Hidden" tucked away in the the playlists tree somewhere. When I come across anything I don't want 'random' playback (including Play Doctor) to pick, I add it to that playlist. The right click, send to, playlist menu is good for this task.

Then, when building smartlists, or views, where I do not want those files appearing, I just add the playlist exclusion. It doesn't need the full playlist path, simply typing "-p=hidden" into one of the rule lines ensures that those tracks are excluded, though keep in mind that "Hidden" does not feature in any of my other playlist names. If it did, the path would be required else the others would also be excluded.

For me, this works best because by simply adding the track to the playlist, it is then automatically excluded from all smartlists and views that contain a rule the explicitly excludes that playlist.

It can be handy for things such as duplicate files. I have a few of those I like to keep so that albums are complete. Some are better quality than others and so on. So, the 'best' file stays off the hidden list, while all the others are on it. Random lists with the playlist exclusion rule will never play these files, but, if I go to my albums view and pick an album to play, the whole album will play, even if it contains tracks on the hidden list. I've used this approach for years and it works really well for me.

-marko
Pages: [1]   Go Up