INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Bit Depth Question  (Read 1858 times)

adydula

• Recent member
Bit Depth Question
« on: September 01, 2013, 12:10:41 pm »

Hello,

I noticed this the other day...using 16 bit 44.1 khz flacs with auto bitdepth setting for WASAPI...and no changes for sampling i see the input correctly bit the output indicates 24 bit depth instead of the source 16 bits?

Even though the changes box indicates no changes?
Why wouldnt the outout state 16 bits vs 24 bits?

I do notice if I change the bit depth to a discrete 16 bits it changes the output statement.
So in auto setting while playing 16 bit source in auto I see this 24 bit output message?
Is this an issue or bug?

Any ideas
Alex

InflatableMouse

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Bit Depth Question
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2013, 12:16:03 pm »

adydula

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2013, 07:54:07 am »

Thanks for the info to read, still not totally clear.

I think what is being said is the even if you have a 16bit 44.1khz file and auto bit depth is selected your going to see the 24bit output at the sampling rate of the source because its technically better due to the OS and accessing hardware like the DAC??

I dont really notice any difference in sound quality but still want an experts explanation if possible..

Alex

« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2013, 09:17:33 am »

If you are not doing any DSP processing to the file, there is no difference between 24-bit and 16-bit outputs when playing back a 16-bit file. The data is just padded with zeros.

If a 16-bit file is output as 24-bit and sent to my Benchmark DAC2, which actually analyzes the audio stream, it will light up as 24-bit briefly because it's receiving a 24-bit signal, and then after half a second the display switches to 16-bit, because it's detected that it's 16-bit audio in a 24-bit stream.

However, once you start using DSP - or even just using the volume control - it stays as 24-bit, because Media Center will use as much precision as possible when processing the files.
If you don't increase the bit-depth to something greater than the source when performing DSP, it becomes a lossy process.

mwillems

• MC Beta Team
  • "Linux Merit Badge" Recipient
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2013, 07:53:43 pm »

However, once you start using DSP - or even just using the volume control - it stays as 24-bit, because Media Center will use as much precision as possible when processing the files.If you don't increase the bit-depth to something greater than the source when performing DSP, it becomes a lossy process.

JRiver handles all DSP in it's 64 bit audio engine, and only converts back to 16 or 24 at the end of the chain.  So, to my knowledge, the selected output bitdepth doesn't actually affect whether DSP produces "lossy" results except in the case of volume adjustments downwards. 

adydula

• Recent member
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2013, 09:28:43 am »

Thanks guys for the response that makes it more clear.

I leave the software volume at 100% in JRiver and adjust the volume at the preamp and or headphone amp.

I wll leave the automatic bitdepth setting on AUTO and be happy.

99% of my stuff is 16 bit, 44.1khz, I do have some 24 bit files at 44.1Khz.

So we are fine here.

If the 16 bit files are padded with zeros etc that okie dokie..

Thanks
Alex
Pages: [1]   Go Up