INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: audio research cd9 issue  (Read 2049 times)

jd002200

• Recent member
audio research cd9 issue
« on: September 01, 2013, 05:57:38 pm »

Greetings all,

I'm new to the forum, and this is my first post. I just bought an Audio Research CD9 CD player with digital inputs for its DAC. I've connected a laptop running Windows 7 via USB to the CD9. On most but not all tracks I've played through Media Center 18, the sound lacks dynamics and the bass seems far too prominent. This occurs on mp3, 24/48, 24/96, and 24/88.2. I have the latest drivers for the DAC, and I've tried ASIO and WASAPI output modes. It makes no difference. I've also selected 24 bit output in WASAPI, but it still doesn't help. Playing the same audio files on my desktop system, which has a subwoofer, produces great sound with a balanced frequency response. Also, playing CDs in the CD9 sounds fantastic. The problem is with playing files from the laptop into the CD9. I'm quite disappointed with my first attempt to play hi rez files through my hi fi. I would appreciate any suggestions.

Update: I checked 'device only uses most significant bits' in the output mode settings. This seemed to improve the sound. After playing more music I realized that the most likely problem is that the music files I've playing on the laptop aren't very good quality. It appears that they're just not mastered well. The setup is probably working just fine. The DAC is such high resolution that it's revealing the poor quality of the music files it's being fed. I'll keep listening, but I think the source of the problem has been found.

Jim
Pages: [1]   Go Up