INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Does sound card quality matter with kernel streaming + 16 vs. 24 bit  (Read 2943 times)

Mastiff

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • The Multi-Zone Tzar

I'm using a setup for a lot of zones (12), and I had a few problems with stuttering at times. But kernel streaming on all zones got rid of that. From what I know (and this is certainly not something I know much about) kernel streaming means that the bits of the music is sendt unchanged from the playback program to the DAC (in the sound card when outputting analogue sound or the receiver/amp/external DAC when outputting through SPDIF). I'm not much of a hifi nerd, I like fun sound, not neutral. But I still want the sound to be as good as I can get it. So my question is: If I use SPDIF, does it really matter if I'm using a good Xonar card or a cheap, generic USB box, since the bits in theory are unchanged from Media Center and to my Yamaha receiver?

Also it seems like I can't get more than 16 bits on most of my sound cards (Sound Blaster Audigy with kX drivers). Is that something that's audible through a Yamaha top model 11.2 receiver with 80's Warfedale speakers (brilliant, fun speakers that to me sound like rock'n'roll should) or only through Krell amps and Quad electrostatic speakers?
Tor with the Cinema Inferno & Multi-Zone Audio system

InflatableMouse

• MC Beta Team
Re: Does sound card quality matter with kernel streaming + 16 vs. 24 bit
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2013, 08:23:28 am »

It's controversial but I'll risk getting burned. Someone is bound to disagree  ;D

All things being equal, 2 digital outputs should sound equal :P (lol). In other words, I do not believe a digital output from a Xonar would sound any better than the digital output of a Creative, given they output at the same source at the same bit depth and sample rate.

Having said that, there are a lot of variables that might be in favor of one over the other. For instance, output formats, bit depth and sample rates supported. Typically they would be determined by your receiver but if your receiver would support 24/192 and you prefer to use that, but your current card won't output more than 16/48, then that might be a reason to upgrade. But in that case, I wouldn't choose an expensive card like the Xonar, I would pick something cheaper because of what I said earlier.

Whether you're able to hear it is not something I can answer. 24-bit might be worthwhile if you're using DSP and volume leveling in MC, although I believe MC does a very good job downsampling with anti aliasing etc. You might be hard pressed hearing a difference. Some do, some don't. You have to find out for yourself.

IMHO, you should not expect a better sound, placement or soundstage. Better drivers or more output formats are valid reasons for upgrading I guess.

After my experience with a Xonar Essence ST, I wouldn't easily choose for Asus again. The hardware is fabulous, but I think the software is a complete heap of crap.

PS. There is a bitdepth tester in the parametric equalizer. If you add and enable it, you can change the bit depth on the fly and see when you start to hear a difference.

Mastiff

• MC Beta Team
  • The Multi-Zone Tzar
Re: Does sound card quality matter with kernel streaming + 16 vs. 24 bit
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2013, 02:03:58 pm »

Well, nobody's disagreed so far! :) Thanks! Btw I have my third Asus card here, and I have been very satisified. Another case of "YMMV", I guess. :)
Tor with the Cinema Inferno & Multi-Zone Audio system
Pages: [1]   Go Up