INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Watching while recording interrupts recording  (Read 4305 times)

curiousMonkey

• Galactic Citizen
Watching while recording interrupts recording
« on: September 02, 2013, 03:42:54 pm »

I am using build 32 of MC 19.
This morning I selected a 7 hour recording of the US Open coverage. I commenced watching it after recording 4.5 hours but nothing additional seems to be included in the video file. The status of the program says "Recording" but only small 1k files have recent time stamps. When I play back the file it stops after 4.5 hours. If I attempt to watch the program directly from the TV guide page it resumes the recording at the beginning, not where I stopped. This seems to indicate that the software assumes I have watched the complete recording and there is no point in resuming where I left off.

During the playback I did see information about "time lapse" at the bottom of the screen.
HTPC - Windows 10 64-bit Intel i5, Nvidia GTX 1650 4GB

JVC NX7, Panamorph Paladin DCR, Stewart ST130 G4 140" 2.4:1, Anthem AVM 70, Aerial Acoustics 7T/7CC/10T, Rythmik F18 (2), Paradigm Servo-15, MiniDSP 2x4 HD, Sony UBP-X800 Mk2

Yaobing

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Dogs of the world unite!
Re: Watching while recording interrupts recording
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2013, 11:56:51 am »

Was the program known to be 7 hours long when the recording was scheduled?
Yaobing Deng, JRiver Media Center

curiousMonkey

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2013, 07:16:59 pm »

Yes it was.

CBS created the schedule well in advance.

JVC NX7, Panamorph Paladin DCR, Stewart ST130 G4 140" 2.4:1, Anthem AVM 70, Aerial Acoustics 7T/7CC/10T, Rythmik F18 (2), Paradigm Servo-15, MiniDSP 2x4 HD, Sony UBP-X800 Mk2

Samson

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2013, 04:22:48 am »

Not sure if this is the same thing but watching a show whilst recording has always been problematic for me...I now simply avoid. With my old cable STB I could start watching a show 30mins into the recording and seamlessly transition into the live broadcast (basically to fast forward thru most of the ads).I have never been able to do this with MC. I initially thought it caused the rrecording to falter but usually the recording is there,just broken up into parts.The new segments dont immediately show up for viewing and thus the lack of seamless transition.

rpalmer68

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2013, 07:21:26 am »

I often watch recordings while they are still recording and it works fine for me.

Are you recording in jtv format or ts? 

eapool

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2013, 08:31:54 am »

I am not sure if this is the same issue as the OP and if not sorry to hijack the thread, but I regularly see the problem that Samson is describing.  If I start watching a show after it has started recording, I can skip over commercials, etc until I reach the point the program was at when I started watching it.  After that point, if I attempt to jump forward, it returns me to the point I was at when I started watching it.  For example, a 1 hour program that starts at 8 PM.  I start watching it at 8:15.  I can skip forward during the first 15 min of the program (the program continues to record, so it may be 8:25 when I reach the 8:15 mark) .  I can continue watching it after the 8:15 mark, but if at l the 8:20 mark a commercial starts and I hit skip, I am return to the 8:15 mark.  If I press stop and the start watching the program again, I can use the fast forward functions up the new 'start' point.  Very frustrating when the bookmark is lost and I have to return to the beginning of the program.

Alex

Samson

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2013, 12:39:00 am »

yes, as per eapool. It appears, for me, that when it collides with itself so to speak, a brand new recording is initiated for the subsequent part.

.ts recordings in my case but iirc it occured when I used to record in jtv as well

Yaobing

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2013, 03:52:47 pm »

I do not know if curiousMonkey's issue is the same as the issue of other posters.  I am still not able to reproduce either.  When we play a show that is currently recording, we find the tuner that is recording the show and actually play the time-shifting session (i.e. we do not directly play the .ts or .jtv file).  In builds earlier than 19.0.12, we tried to play the .ts file directly.  That would show the symptoms that you guys described.  Now, the only case when we still have a problem is when you play a .ts recording on a LS client.  That will play the actual .ts file and the client would not know that the .ts file is still growing.  By any chance are you guys all playing on a client?

eapool

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2013, 04:51:08 pm »

Yes, this is occurring on a client.  The main computer is in the living room and it records everything.  When we are in the bedroom, we see this behavior described.  I can't say for sure if I have seen it in the living room.  My recollection is that it works as you described.  I just (today) upgraded to 19, so we will see what that does.

Alex

Samson

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2013, 10:51:17 pm »

By any chance are you guys all playing on a client?

for me, occurs on server.

When we play a show that is currently recording, we find the tuner that is recording the show and actually play the time-shifting session (i.e. we do not directly play the .ts or .jtv file). 

I go to the show as it appears under "Shows" in Theatre view, presumably this is playing the ts file directly? To play from the time shifted session for the tuner that is recording do you play from the "Guide" ?

In builds earlier than 19.0.12, we tried to play the .ts file directly.  That would show the symptoms that you guys described.

builds later than 19.0.12 show the same problem I think (but cannot say if played from timeshifted vs direct .ts file)

Yaobing

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2013, 10:25:11 am »

I go to the show as it appears under "Shows" in Theatre view, presumably this is playing the ts file directly? To play from the time shifted session for the tuner that is recording do you play from the "Guide" ?

If you play a recording that is not finished yet, without regard to where you initiated the playback, MC should switch to the tuner's time-shifting session.  If it does not, let us know.  You can verify this by right-click on the video window and check "DirectShow Filters".

Samson

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2013, 03:01:42 am »

If you play a recording that is not finished yet, without regard to where you initiated the playback, MC should switch to the tuner's time-shifting session.  If it does not, let us know.  You can verify this by right-click on the video window and check "DirectShow Filters".

Um..I probably have this wrong but if MC automatically switched to time-shifted material then the OP problem wouldn't have occured, "Watching while recording interrupts recording", and therefore no reason to post. Rightly or wrongly i assume lack of automatic  switching is the root cause of the problem? When you right click, check DirectShow Filters what are we looking for?

Yaobing

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: October 04, 2013, 06:56:54 am »

Um..I probably have this wrong but if MC automatically switched to time-shifted material then the OP problem wouldn't have occured, "Watching while recording interrupts recording", and therefore no reason to post. Rightly or wrongly i assume lack of automatic  switching is the root cause of the problem? When you right click, check DirectShow Filters what are we looking for?

If you see two sections in the list, one involving the tuner and capture device filters etc. and the other involving "JRiver TS Reader filter" at the bottom, and audio and video renderers at the top, then you are seeing the time-shifting graphs.

Yaobing

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: October 09, 2013, 10:24:32 am »

The latest build (available on Media Center 19 board, http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=84257.0) contains a few television related fixes.  The issues discussed in this thread are most likely fixed.

curiousMonkey

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #14 on: November 10, 2013, 11:13:31 pm »

I had another failure today with MC 19.67 while recording in TS format.

My recording of Sunday Night Football was interrupted after 8 minutes. I discovered this when I started watching it 75 minutes after the recording started. I ended up having to delete the file and start a new recording.

During the period the recording was supposed to be made, I was also using MC to view files I downloaded from YouTube. I did not notice any problems with those files.

Yaobing

• Administrator
« Reply #15 on: November 11, 2013, 08:05:57 am »

I had another failure today with MC 19.67 while recording in TS format.

My recording of Sunday Night Football was interrupted after 8 minutes. I discovered this when I started watching it 75 minutes after the recording started. I ended up having to delete the file and start a new recording.

During the period the recording was supposed to be made, I was also using MC to view files I downloaded from YouTube. I did not notice any problems with those files.

Do you have a log of the event?  You watched the recording 75 minutes after recording started, but only had 8 minutes of recording.  Did you do anything at the 8 minutes mark?  Did you have enough hard disk space?

mstan

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #16 on: December 05, 2013, 07:42:08 pm »

Do you have a log of the event?  You watched the recording 75 minutes after recording started, but only had 8 minutes of recording.  Did you do anything at the 8 minutes mark?  Did you have enough hard disk space?
This is exactly the problem I had last night.  I was recording a 90 min scheduled show (ts format) while listening to music.  I started watching the program at the 60 min mark but it only gave 8 minutes of play and then stopped.  I then discovered that that was all that was recorded - an8 minute segment.  What happened to the first hour?

Samson

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #17 on: December 06, 2013, 01:21:48 am »

What happened to the first hour?
I haven't recently started watching a recording part way into it...but when this problem occured the missing segment/s invariably showed up after some hours delay. So we got to watch the whole show,just not at the one sitting. 

mstan

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #18 on: December 06, 2013, 04:54:08 pm »

I haven't recently started watching a recording part way into it...but when this problem occured the missing segment/s invariably showed up after some hours delay. So we got to watch the whole show,just not at the one sitting. 

Some hours later, I deleted the 8 minute segment since i figured that was all there was.   Maybe I should have checked the directory first.

Yaobing

• Administrator
« Reply #19 on: December 09, 2013, 05:41:42 pm »

Is "Channel Grouping" ever involved?  I just figured out a bug which would cause interruption of recording when user choose to watch.  This bug only surfaces when channel grouping is in effect (i.e. recording is being done on a channel that is a member of a particular channel group, and is used to substitute a channel in the guide - the anchor channel).

mstan

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #20 on: December 09, 2013, 07:45:51 pm »

Is "Channel Grouping" ever involved?  I just figured out a bug which would cause interruption of recording when user choose to watch.  This bug only surfaces when channel grouping is in effect (i.e. recording is being done on a channel that is a member of a particular channel group, and is used to substitute a channel in the guide - the anchor channel).

I don't see any channel grouping but how would I know?  Where is the setting?

Yaobing

• Administrator
« Reply #21 on: December 09, 2013, 09:22:41 pm »

I don't see any channel grouping but how would I know?  Where is the setting?

If you do not know it, probably it was not involved in your case, because you have to configure it for it to take effect.  It is a new feature.  TV Options..., the last item under "General" - "Group Channels...".

mstan

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #22 on: December 09, 2013, 10:14:57 pm »

If you do not know it, probably it was not involved in your case, because you have to configure it for it to take effect.  It is a new feature.  TV Options..., the last item under "General" - "Group Channels...".
I am using 19.0.82.    I just upgraded to .87 and see the feature.

Samson

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #23 on: December 10, 2013, 01:11:47 am »

Is "Channel Grouping" ever involved? 

I don't think so in my case as I've never used channel grouping except favs when this was introduced
Pages: [1]   Go Up