INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Why my computer’s HDMI sounds better than SimAudio’s D300 DAC?  (Read 9296 times)

trcns

• World Citizen
Why my computer’s HDMI sounds better than SimAudio’s D300 DAC?
« on: September 03, 2013, 10:58:48 am »

My computer has a built-in sound card “AMD Radeon HD 6450A” with HDMI and Optical out. HDMI is connected McIntosh MX121 Pre/Processor which is then connected to Krell Power Amp.

Sound card is capable of playing 24/192 bit over the HDMI and 24/96 over the Optical. I setup my sound card for 16/44 as recommended by JRiver, which I am using as media player. All music is ripped from CD’s in FLSA format.

Now, I bought a SimAudio D300 DAC hopping for better sound from DAC than directly from my computer. SimAudio has a limitation on USB for 16/48, all other outputs are capable of 24/192.

I tried Optical out from my computer to D300 which sounded terrible. Then I connected my Computer’s USB to DAC, which had a better sound, but no-where close to the sound coming out of HDMI form computer to MX 121. I bypassed McIntosh, using Direct and Direct Pure feature of McIntosh, also by directly connecting D300 to Power Amp, but, it cannot compete the Sound quality of HDMI.

All my cables are Crystal Micro XLR cables From DAC to Power Amp or from DAC to Pre/Processor and Processor to Power Amp.

I spent $850 on DAC, $1190 on pair Crystal Micro XLR Cables, which I feel wasted as audio quality from computer to Processor is far better than sound from DAC. I am sure, I must be doing something wrong. Can someone please advise me what to do?

Thanks

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Why my computer’s HDMI sounds better than SimAudio’s D300 DAC?
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2013, 12:30:17 pm »

With HDMI, you're simply passing on a digital signal to your McIntosh MX121, so it is essentially acting as a DAC for your computer.

It seems like you prefer the sound of the MX121 ($6000) to the SimAudio D300. ($850)
I would return the DAC and the cables, if you have that option.

trcns

• World Citizen
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2013, 01:31:27 pm »

I lost the option of returning DAC and Cables while troubleshooting, I was under the impression that DAC will replace my computers internal sound card. and will improve that part only while Processor will keep doing it job. Is that not correct?

• Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2013, 01:43:38 pm »

I lost the option of returning DAC and Cables while troubleshooting, I was under the impression that DAC will replace my computers internal sound card. and will improve that part only while Processor will keep doing it job. Is that not correct?
If you're outputting HDMI, it is simply passing audio through to your McIntosh - so the MX121 is your "DAC".

The AMD "Sound Card" is just a device for Windows to push audio to. (because you can have multiple devices connected at once)
There's no analog conversion happening inside the PC.

bulldogger

• World Citizen
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2013, 08:26:49 pm »

No. That is not correct. Your computer's sound card is basically a digital source for your audio. The playback device is either your Mcintosh or your DAC. In each scenario you are using the  the computer to send information to either the external DAC or using the internal dacs of your Mcintosh processor. There is no much your can do from a hardware side in the computer to improve audio. Some use audiophile sound cards like this http://sotm-audio.com/english/products/tx-usbexp.php for supposedly better sound from USB . I am very familiar with your Mcintosh processor as a buddy has one. You will need a better external DAC than the one you purchased to get better sound. You will likely have to spend several thousand on a DAC to get better sound than your Mcintosh.

Wungun

• World Citizen
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2013, 06:17:48 am »

I would think you'd be better off staying away from the USB interface.
As for your toslink, setup your sound cards output to whatever max input your DAC can handle...
24/192?
MC I think, does a great job at up mixing.

Also, being an integrated sound card, what driver are you using/is available?
Have you tried ASIO4All?
You definitely want to by-pass the windows mixer (Kernel streaming, ASIO or WASAPI)

I have an extra Asus Xonar card laying around if you wanna try that.

Chopsrr

• Recent member
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2013, 09:02:39 pm »

I think this is my very first post here. Yep, it is. Been a member for several weeks though...

Anyway, I just wanted to say that I'm not at all impressed with Simaudio gear like I thought I used to be. I had one of their CD players which I thought sounded really good. Then I bought a Schiit Bifrost DAC (the original version) at a fraction of the cost of the Simaudio, and that little DAC blew it away! I now have it fully updated with the latest Uber analog board and USB2 board, connected to my laptop running JRiver 19 (just upgraded to 19 today) via a 2 meter Wireworld Ultraviolet USB cable. The Simaudio deck doesn't have a chance and in fact is no longer in my system.

To the OP, your Mac MX121 is a much better unit than the Simaudio DAC, by a long shot. Return it and the associated cables and get your money back.
Pages: [1]   Go Up