INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: MC 18 - Auto Import - Please Separate DSD Audio Files From ISO Files  (Read 7315 times)

allen_bh

• Recent member

Background : I spent an eternity getting my DSD audio files tagged and also copied the original .iso's into the same directory. I then went into the Auto Import and unchecked everything except the checkbox under "Audio" titled "DSD Audio (dff,dsf,sacd)" and let it run. To my surprise, it autoimported all the iso's also even though I didn't check the iso's checkbox under the "Data" section titled "Disk Image Files (iso,img,nrg,mdx)".

Request: Please do not import iso's when the DSD checkbox is checked or at least give us the option to create a custom import that imports all .dsf files. This is super annoying to deal with -- now I have duplicates and the files in the iso's aren't tagged properly so my whole library is messed up.

note: If there's a way to do a custom import of just all .dsf's that would also suffice as long as it can be configure as an "auto import" setting.

Thanks!

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
Re: MC 18 - Auto Import - Please Separate DSD Audio Files From ISO Files
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2013, 06:24:41 pm »

Welcome.

Just search for .iso, pick the files, and remove them from the library.  It should only take a few seconds.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

allen_bh

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2013, 07:45:16 pm »

That wont work with auto import as the iso's will get reimported automatically. Please re-read the issue.

« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2013, 12:26:58 am »

I think "sacd" is "sacd iso" so you should remove that if you're only importing DSF/DFF files. I was mistaken - all three are grouped together.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2013, 10:18:52 am »

That wont work with auto import as the iso's will get reimported automatically. Please re-read the issue.

By default auto-import does not reimport files that have been removed.

If that option is not working for ISO files, please just report it as a bug.

Thanks.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

allen_bh

• Recent member
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2013, 05:32:20 pm »

By default auto-import does not reimport files that have been removed.

If that option is not working for ISO files, please just report it as a bug.

Thanks.

OK, but auto-import doesn't always pick up new files and the one time I go in and select "Run Auto-Import Now" it ends up re-importing all iso's. Can't you just separate all ISO's from the import of dsf, dst (DSD) files? After all, an SACD ISO is not a DSD file, it's an ISO image of an SACD.

allen_bh

• Recent member
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2013, 05:36:52 pm »

OK, but auto-import doesn't always pick up new files and the one time I go in and select "Run Auto-Import Now" it ends up re-importing all iso's. Can't you just separate all ISO's from the import of dsf, dst (DSD) files? After all, an SACD ISO is not a DSD file, it's an ISO image of an SACD.

BTW- This behavior explains the issue I was having a while ago when it wouldn't import SACD iso's as I had selected the "Data - Disk Image Files (iso,img,nrg,mdx)" checkbox and it wasn't importing them. I guess you're actually importing only some kind of ISO's not the SACD kind when that box is checked? The logic in this whole checkbox list is just wacky when it comes to ISO's and DSD files.

« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2013, 12:18:15 am »

Again: remove "SACD" from your import rules, if you don't want Media Center to import SACD ISOs. Sorry for the trouble - I mistakenly thought "sacd" was separate from "dsf/dff"

allen_bh

• Recent member
« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2013, 08:49:27 am »

Again: remove "SACD" from your import rules, if you don't want Media Center to import SACD ISOs.

OK, tell me how to do that. The only way I know of is to uncheck the box that includes dsf,dst files. Is there somewhere else I can make this setting you're talking about?

« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2013, 10:07:47 am »

OK, tell me how to do that. The only way I know of is to uncheck the box that includes dsf,dst files. Is there somewhere else I can make this setting you're talking about?
Oh, I'm sorry - I thought it was a separate option. This is what I get for going "by memory" rather than looking.

allen_bh

• Recent member
« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2013, 05:41:30 pm »

Oh, I'm sorry - I thought it was a separate option. This is what I get for going "by memory" rather than looking.

So now does my request make sense? This looks to be more of an error in design more than anything else. ISO's (whether they're SACD or Redbook, Scarletbook, whatever) are ISO's not DSD files.

So I'll reiterate my bug request:
Please separate the function of importing DSD files from that of importing SACD ISO's. There's a checkbox for ISO's already and unchecking it doesn't stop auto-import from importing SACD ISO's when the DSD button is checked.

« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2013, 02:45:23 am »

So now does my request make sense? This looks to be more of an error in design more than anything else. ISO's (whether they're SACD or Redbook, Scarletbook, whatever) are ISO's not DSD files.
Well it's not importing all ISOs, only SACD images.

What doesn't make sense to me is why you would have the SACD image and break that out into DSD files.

allen_bh

• Recent member
« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2013, 01:58:01 pm »

Well it's not importing all ISOs, only SACD images.

What doesn't make sense to me is why you would have the SACD image and break that out into DSD files.

Wow, this is the kind of support that JRiver gives huh? Someone submits an issue with the software and you hassle the person to death and dismiss valid issues that paying customers have.

I really shouldn't have to explain the reasons for ripping the songs out of an ISO, but just to be thorough let's walk through a few. If you had a Redbook ISO would you break out the WAV files? If not why not? Some valid reasons are that you have the flexibility to use programs to modify the TAG's within those files to accurately display the artist, genre, title, etc, etc.  You also might want to listen to these songs on a portable device and ISO's take a up huge amount of file space. Thus you can convert it to MP3 for your iphone, android device, etc etc. Further, you may want to only put a few of those songs on your mobile device as you don't want to have the whole album on the device. Even further, you may want to create a playlist of the songs you like and make that playlist and those files portable to say other member's of your family's devices. Now, take those same reasons and apply them to Scarletbook ISO's and add in the fact that these ISO's are anywhere from 2-4 GB's in size. One last additional reason is that people who are using this feature are not taking these ISO's and trying to play them back on their iPods.

MrC

• Your life is short. Give me your money.
« Reply #13 on: September 08, 2013, 02:13:09 pm »

Easy there fella.   6233638 is just a (very smart and helpful) user like you and I.

You're not being asked to justify anything.  Sometimes users do things and they aren't clear on some concepts.
The opinions I express represent my own folly.

« Reply #14 on: September 08, 2013, 04:21:58 pm »

Wow, this is the kind of support that JRiver gives huh? Someone submits an issue with the software and you hassle the person to death and dismiss valid issues that paying customers have.
Only the people that are "Administrators" are part of JRiver's support - I just hang around a lot. Sorry for the bad advice earlier, I mistakenly thought that "SACD" was a separate import option from "DSF/DFF" files.

The reason I asked, is because I was unclear on why you would want to keep both the ISO file, and the extracted DSF/DFF files - specifically for the reasons that you mention.

DSF files support tagging, and while DFF do not, they are separate files which can be easier to manage.
As SACD ISO files take up a lot of space, most people don't want to keep the ISO file in addition to the extracted DSF/DFF files, they only keep one or the other.

allen_bh

• Recent member
« Reply #15 on: September 08, 2013, 06:11:58 pm »

As SACD ISO files take up a lot of space, most people don't want to keep the ISO file in addition to the extracted DSF/DFF files, they only keep one or the other.

Thanks for trying. I do disagree with you on the subject of keeping ISO's (at least Scarletbook one's). Perhaps you were more thinking about Redbook ISO's which are quite simple to create. Ripping an SACD ISO (Scarletbook) is a pain in the behind, takes a long time, equipment for doing it may not always be working in the future, etc., etc., and thus it's a precarious situation -- it's best to keep a copy of the ISO around (at least that's how I feel, and those whom I've spoke with about this advised me the same). Yes it takes up a lot of space, but it's something you have to invest significant resources towards creating.

As for the original subject, consider Redbook ISO's again. If I were to check the .WAV file format box, I would expect MC to behave similar and auto-import the Redbook audio ISO's...but I digress. This is a bug -- a logic one.

allen_bh

• Recent member
« Reply #16 on: September 08, 2013, 07:25:14 pm »

Thanks for trying. I do disagree with you on the subject of keeping ISO's (at least Scarletbook one's). Perhaps you were more thinking about Redbook ISO's which are quite simple to create. Ripping an SACD ISO (Scarletbook) is a pain in the behind, takes a long time, equipment for doing it may not always be working in the future, etc., etc., and thus it's a precarious situation -- it's best to keep a copy of the ISO around (at least that's how I feel, and those whom I've spoke with about this advised me the same). Yes it takes up a lot of space, but it's something you have to invest significant resources towards creating.

As for the original subject, consider Redbook ISO's again. If I were to check the .WAV file format box, I would expect MC to behave similar and auto-import the Redbook audio ISO's...but I digress. This is a bug -- a logic one.

I should also add the multichannel possibilities with Scarletbook ISO's - Which is yet another reason why you'd want to keep the original files. This means you'd need multiple files for the same track, one in stereo/mono, another in multichannel (if that's available in the release). If you just extract out the stereo files you'd want to hold onto the original ISO in the event you later want to do multichannel. Just another reason why you wouldn't get rid of the original ISO from an SACD.

InflatableMouse

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #17 on: September 09, 2013, 01:05:32 am »

I also keep my ISO's around, just not imported into MC. I keep them separated from the DFF files that are automatically imported.

Not saying this is a solution to the issue you posted about which I suppose is a valid point. I just wanted to offer another option that I think works well too.
Pages: [1]   Go Up