INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Gizmo playing now screen  (Read 29157 times)

Hendrik

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Gizmo playing now screen
« Reply #100 on: January 21, 2014, 09:00:17 am »

You can get it here:
http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=86868.0

We usually test the builds here for a bit before moving them to the play store.
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

Mastiff

• MC Beta Team
  • The Multi-Zone Tzar
« Reply #101 on: January 21, 2014, 09:05:17 am »

Gotcha, thanks! Glad the bus has left the station... ;) Maybe the next little step would be to let me into the Playing now list? Then I can start from the track I want to. Or even the full button row. :)
Tor with the Cinema Inferno & Multi-Zone Audio system

Hendrik

• Administrator
« Reply #102 on: January 23, 2014, 09:17:28 am »

So here is what I've been working on today:

Can you spot whats new? :)
Its almost finished, I need to find a spot to put it on the portrait playing now screen too, though. Maybe it should blend in over the cover art like JRemote does it, to save vertical space?
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

WinoOutWest

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #103 on: January 23, 2014, 09:53:03 am »

WOW!
A LOOOONG time overdue.

Awesome!!!

Mastiff

• MC Beta Team
  • The Multi-Zone Tzar
« Reply #104 on: January 23, 2014, 09:55:12 am »

Please don't let it mess up the cover art! Or is it possible to make it so it doesn't show at all if it's not set? I don't even use it at all.

Al ex

Re: AW: Re: Gizmo playing now screen
« Reply #105 on: January 23, 2014, 02:01:45 pm »

Its almost finished, I need to find a spot to put it on the portrait playing now screen too, though. Maybe it should blend in over the cover art like JRemote does it, to save vertical space?

Looks sharp!

Hendrik

• Administrator
« Reply #106 on: January 24, 2014, 07:00:18 am »

So I've been dabbling with the rating stars in Portrait mode.

This is a early try:

I'm not happy at all with it, though. Maybe it could use a light-grey "shade" like bar over the coverart where the stars sit on, for more contrast? But thats not exactly easy, as the image is automatically scaled..
One thing I know, I can't put them anywhere else, or the cover art gets tiny.

I may also add an option to Gizmo to hide the rating stars completely, for those people that don't use the rating feature, and don't want the clutter.
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

Mastiff

• MC Beta Team
  • The Multi-Zone Tzar
« Reply #107 on: January 24, 2014, 07:02:21 am »

I may also add an option to Gizmo to hide the rating stars completely, for those people that don't use the rating feature, and don't want the clutter.

Good man! Yes, please! That would make me very happy! :)

wig

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #108 on: January 24, 2014, 07:23:49 am »

YES YES YES!

Thank You, Hendrik!

Cereal Killer

• Recent member
« Reply #109 on: January 24, 2014, 07:34:54 am »

How about loosing the 'playing now' at the top of the screens?

Hendrik

• Administrator
« Reply #110 on: January 24, 2014, 08:59:10 am »

The title bar has to stay, its rather mandatory for navigation, and is consistent through the whole application.

I'm still stuck on the portrait rating stars, I couldn't come up with anything that looks better then the version I posted above.
Any opinions? Maybe from those people that actually wanted the rating feature for so long? :)

Sadly I'm a programmer, not a designer, so any input is appreciated!
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

Mastiff

• MC Beta Team
  • The Multi-Zone Tzar
« Reply #111 on: January 24, 2014, 09:06:36 am »

Is that a gag order to me, officer? ;D Seriously, I wouldn't use it, but how would it be to have it vertical instead of horizontal, and on one side of the cover? Or even moving the cover off center when the ratings are activated?

Castius

« Reply #112 on: January 24, 2014, 09:46:09 am »

Gizmo is pretty good. I'd say we still need a notification icon when playing. It is very easy to get off the playing now screen. But the music is still playing. The dual function of the home button is not enough. Thanks

Also if you want some other example to look at. This page may help.
http://www.subsonic.org/pages/apps.jsp#android

WinoOutWest

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #113 on: January 24, 2014, 09:52:01 am »

What if we did have a settings page that checked the boxes of the elements we wanted to see?
I think that would kind of be in line with the MC Windows philosophy since day one?

For example Mastiff never uses ratings and I never use the position slider bar.
Perhaps a smaller cover Art window for those that have everything visible and maximize it for those that reduce the elements they have on the screen?

"You can please some of the people all of the time and all of the people some of the time but you can't please all of the people all of the time..."

:-)

Mastiff

• MC Beta Team
  • The Multi-Zone Tzar
« Reply #114 on: January 24, 2014, 09:55:21 am »

Not a bad idea, dude! :) I was hoping for something like that, but I thought it could be a bit too difficult to implement. Maybe I'm wrong? It would be very nice! Just like having the choice between displaying the library as a tree or as the covers that it's now. When a library has around 10 000 albums a tree with smaller letters can be a bit easier to work with.

Mastiff

• MC Beta Team
  • The Multi-Zone Tzar
« Reply #115 on: January 24, 2014, 10:01:56 am »

This is my dream setup for a library tree (this is what I used NetRemote, which doesn't run on anything newer than Windows Mobile 6.5 or regular Windows 7).

Edit: Of course the font has to be larger than this to be useable for fingers, this is for use with a pen.

Hendrik

• Administrator
« Reply #116 on: January 24, 2014, 10:15:50 am »

Please limit this thread to the topic of the Playing Now screen and the re-design/added functionality we're proposing here, not a general Gizmo feature request thread, thanks.
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

Mastiff

• MC Beta Team
  • The Multi-Zone Tzar
« Reply #117 on: January 24, 2014, 10:16:38 am »

Sorry, shutting up about that. How about my suggestion for vertical stars?

WinoOutWest

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #118 on: January 24, 2014, 10:17:07 am »

Yes Mastiff - you and I both go way back with NetRemote.  I following your site and starting with some of your NR screens. - its a shame they didn't move beyond the Windows world when all the iDevices and androids hit the market.
I've pretty much got that functionality of that same library view in my Gizmo now - its just much bigger.

Here is a screen shot of the PlayerPro playing now screen which I use for my "on device" content.
Its got nice cover art and everything I need.
Notice how small the progress bar is?
Does Gizmo's really need to take up that much space?  For me the progress bar is a nice visual but I next to never use it to navigate so having it small like in this player pro example is perfect... for me.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #119 on: January 24, 2014, 10:42:32 am »

So I've been dabbling with the rating stars in Portrait mode.
Could you display them only for a few seconds after play or pause is hit?

Hendrik

• Administrator
« Reply #120 on: January 24, 2014, 10:46:54 am »

Could you display them only for a few seconds after play or pause is hit?

Sure.
It could also show them for a bit of time after you tap on the cover art for example, if you want to get them back mid-playback without pausing.
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

Mastiff

• MC Beta Team
  • The Multi-Zone Tzar
« Reply #121 on: January 24, 2014, 10:50:54 am »

Does that mean that vertical, selectable stars is not an option?

drmimosa

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #122 on: January 24, 2014, 10:53:24 am »

Here's a quick idea.

Touch the title of the song/artist area once (Elvenpath etc. in box above). rating stars appear, song/artist dissapears. You can rate the song. Then, after 5 seconds, song /artist text reappears, stars disappear. Cover art stays put.

It would be intuitive because the text of song/artist is already metadata (like ratings stars), whereas cover art is a picture.

Sure.
It could also show them for a bit of time after you tap on the cover art for example, if you want to get them back mid-playback without pausing.

WinoOutWest

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #123 on: January 24, 2014, 10:54:27 am »

Sure.

Although I think that would certainly work for me (power user) I would think from a general usability standpoint you probably want to fit them in there so they are always visible.  Most other players seem to be able to fit all these elements in - I'm sure Gizmo can too - maybe with a little sacrificing from the other elements in terms of size?

Mastiff - I think the vertical bars are an easy way to fit it in there but I think that would really take away from the balance and finished look that is already there - so my preference again would be to adjust the other elements to fit them in horizontally.

Hendrik

• Administrator
« Reply #124 on: January 24, 2014, 11:06:34 am »

The stars are really quite huge though, they need a full row, like the song title basically.
Even if i shrink the seekbar and buttons slightly, and the stars as well, it won't fit without taking space from the cover art as well, and since we don't want to cut the cover art, it'll open up even more space left/right of the cover art.

Vertical stars looks bad as well, since it smashes the cover art against the side of the screen and destroy the symmetry.

Many other players I have looked at only have a "thumbs up" and "thumbs down" icon, which are quite easy to hide, say at the left/right end of the seekbar (in googles music player, for example)
And they blend content over the cover art as well. Usually so that the cover art is stretched over the whole background, ie: Google Music
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

Mastiff

• MC Beta Team
  • The Multi-Zone Tzar
« Reply #125 on: January 24, 2014, 11:08:15 am »

I guess I'm more of practicality than looks... In that case I'd vote for keeping them over the cover art and then just have the option to hide them.

WinoOutWest

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #126 on: January 24, 2014, 11:22:20 am »

Here's a quick idea.

Touch the title of the song/artist area once (Elvenpath etc. in box above). rating stars appear, song/artist dissapears. You can rate the song. Then, after 5 seconds, song /artist text reappears, stars disappear. Cover art stays put.

I like this idea - what if the text area (or progress bar maybe?) was a "toggle" so to speak.  Defaults to what we see now.  Tap once for ratings, tap again to switch

Hendrik

• Administrator
« Reply #127 on: January 24, 2014, 11:23:49 am »

But the ratings can be tapped to change the ratings, how do i tap them differently to switch back to the text? :)
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

connersw

« Reply #128 on: January 24, 2014, 11:24:36 am »

The stars are really quite huge though, they need a full row, like the song title basically.

Why do they have to be that big though?  Isn't something like this possible?  

I prefer the first one, but the second one may be better if the stars actually work (ie, you can actually rate within Gizmo) so you don't hit the play controls by accident.  Plus, I added a little touch to the second one since Hendrik LOVES color.

Actually, I'd like to not do this since someday I would like Gizmo to be dynamic (ie, touch the Artist, and it brings up that Artist's view).  Not to get off topic though.

WinoOutWest

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #129 on: January 24, 2014, 11:30:45 am »

But the ratings can be tapped to change the ratings, how do i tap them differently to switch back to the text? :)

Doh! 

okay fair enuff - don't suppose we could swipe that section horizontally could we?  That would be kinda cool.

HTPC4ME

• LIFE IS A RADIO... CRANK IT UP TO 11!
« Reply #130 on: January 24, 2014, 11:43:06 am »

i prefer conners first jpg as well (artist, album, track above 5 stars, then play controls beneath.)

WinoOutWest

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #131 on: January 24, 2014, 11:46:06 am »

i prefer conners first jpg as well (artist, album, track above 5 stars, then play controls beneath.)

I like them both but I think the first one is definitely going to be more susceptible to mis-touches without adding much value.

Hendrik

• Administrator
« Reply #132 on: January 24, 2014, 11:49:51 am »

If only Android wouldn't be so stubborn with scaling the rating widget. :)
And yes, the stars are functional, so I would rather move them over the text.

I have shaved off a bit of space here and there, but it still eats away at the cover art, so I'll need to shrink the stars as well. Oh well, was hoping to avoid that. ;)
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

BillT

• World Citizen
« Reply #133 on: January 24, 2014, 11:55:10 am »

If you must have stars, please make them optional or at the worst fade out. For me they are completely pointless screen clutter on a screen that's already short of space.

(Never seen the point of ratings myself, though I appreciate that a lot of people use them.)

What I would like to see on Gizmo and Web Gizmo is the ability to customise the displayed fields. For instance I'd like to be able to show composer, work, movement and orchestra - track name, artist and album are pretty limiting with my music collection. You've got the wonderfully configurable database, it would be nice to be able to display those non-standard fields.

dean70

« Reply #134 on: January 24, 2014, 04:25:35 pm »

If you must have stars, please make them optional or at the worst fade out. For me they are completely pointless screen clutter on a screen that's already short of space.

(Never seen the point of ratings myself, though I appreciate that a lot of people use them.)

What I would like to see on Gizmo and Web Gizmo is the ability to customise the displayed fields. For instance I'd like to be able to show composer, work, movement and orchestra - track name, artist and album are pretty limiting with my music collection. You've got the wonderfully configurable database, it would be nice to be able to display those non-standard fields.

+1. Never used the rating system.

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #135 on: January 24, 2014, 05:12:12 pm »

The other option is to just have the stars on the Horizontal Layout and not the Vertical one at all. 
JRiver CEO Elect

astromo

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #136 on: January 24, 2014, 05:54:15 pm »

The other option is to just have the stars on the Horizontal Layout and not the Vertical one at all. 

I like the lines of your lateral thinking, simply rotate the device from portrait to landscape mode to change a rating. I can work with that - no worries.

Great to see that user requests have been responded to. All it takes is a bit of time and patience. Thanks Hendrik.
MC31, Win10 x64, HD-Plex H5 Gen2 Case, HD-Plex 400W Hi-Fi DC-ATX / AC-DC PSU, Gigabyte Z370 ULTRA Gaming 2.0 MoBo, Intel Core i7 8700 CPU, 4x8GB GSkill DDR4 RAM, Schiit Modi Multibit DAC, Freya Pre, Nelson Pass Aleph J DIY Clone, Ascension Timberwolf 8893BSRTL Speakers, BJC 5T00UP cables, DVB-T Tuner HDHR5-4DT

astromo

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #137 on: January 25, 2014, 12:50:44 am »

Shoot!

I didn't read the Gizmo 19.0.108 release notes. I got it working on my 'droids expecting to have fun with ratings and no cigar. Dagnabbit.

That'll learn me to read.

Just give me some stars to play with Hendrik. Looking forward to that..  ;)
MC31, Win10 x64, HD-Plex H5 Gen2 Case, HD-Plex 400W Hi-Fi DC-ATX / AC-DC PSU, Gigabyte Z370 ULTRA Gaming 2.0 MoBo, Intel Core i7 8700 CPU, 4x8GB GSkill DDR4 RAM, Schiit Modi Multibit DAC, Freya Pre, Nelson Pass Aleph J DIY Clone, Ascension Timberwolf 8893BSRTL Speakers, BJC 5T00UP cables, DVB-T Tuner HDHR5-4DT

wig

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #138 on: January 25, 2014, 09:06:10 am »

Hendrik, Here's an idea. How about supporting multiple modes (stars, no stars) using the view button (the one to the far left on the control bar).

Currently that button just cycles between album art and playlist. Could you add a third mode that includes art & stars?

Al ex

Re: AW: Re: Gizmo playing now screen
« Reply #139 on: January 25, 2014, 11:58:55 am »

+1!!

MGD_King

• It's not easy being me, but it sure is fun!
« Reply #140 on: January 25, 2014, 08:23:31 pm »

Please.

robgil

• World Citizen
« Reply #141 on: January 26, 2014, 06:44:35 am »

For playing classical music is it possible to provide more information?

For instance,

Song Title
Artist
Album Artist
Album

Or is this a customizable feature in JR?

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #142 on: January 26, 2014, 07:04:27 am »

Customize Gizmo on the server.  The wiki has a topic on "Gizmo" and another on "Classical Music".

BillT

• World Citizen
« Reply #143 on: January 26, 2014, 09:00:52 am »

Presumably robgil is talking about the Playing Now screen in Gizmo. As far as I can see this isn't customisable to any useful degree.

You can alter WebGizmo to some extent if you're any good at html editing, but I don't think that you can display custom fields in the Playing Now view.

Hendrik

• Administrator
« Reply #144 on: January 26, 2014, 09:05:02 am »

We might bring customization for this later - first ironing out the overall design. :)
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

dvogel1

• Recent member
« Reply #145 on: January 26, 2014, 06:32:26 pm »

I'd take a volume control over stars night and day. Please add a software volume control to this screen. I realize that the phone volume works but it's clumsy and not nearly as functional as screen based volume control. Perhaps you can make a star-volume, or volume star... May I suggest spending some time with a Squeezebox app. It's not perfect but it seemed to have good ergonomics and flow.

r_harms

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #146 on: January 26, 2014, 08:26:15 pm »

I am one user that is Very Happy about the possibility of rating stars in Gizmo. When I logged on and saw that Hendrik was working on it I was thrilled. This for me was the biggest missing feature in Gizmo, so a Big Thanks!

I hope you can make it optional for the users that don't use ratings. I know I feel strongly about having a feature I don't use 'in my face' with no way to turn it off.

On my device I have loads of screen space so smaller cover art, buttons and progress bar would be fine. I'm using a Samsung Mega 6.3.

I'm in the camp that would like the stars visible all the time, and if that means smaller I'm still good. I would be fine with a compromise like fade out or the like.

Thanks Hendrik for the great contributions, you have made a great team even better!

Rick

Mastiff

• MC Beta Team
  • The Multi-Zone Tzar
« Reply #147 on: January 27, 2014, 03:48:03 am »

I agree fully with dvogel1! A good volume control would be a lot nicer then the ratings, at least for me.

connersw

Re: Re: Gizmo playing now screen
« Reply #148 on: January 27, 2014, 06:01:33 am »

I don't think volume control vs ratings needs to be one or the other.  Gizmo doesn't currently take advantage of swipe gestures.  Up/Dn swipes over the Cover Art would be a nice idea.  There are a couple posts farther back in this very thread with some good ideas on swipe gestures.

Hard to please everyone all the time.  I appreciate Hendrik taking a stab at it though.

Fabricio

• No one has patience with me.
« Reply #149 on: January 27, 2014, 09:02:32 am »

Thanks Hendrik for the great contributions, you have made a great team even better!

Rick

+1

Congratulations for the work.

Friend Hendrik, for tablets, for example, galaxy note 10.1, the size of the stars is great, perfect.

Hugs ...

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up