INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Several audio interfaces controlled by JRiver  (Read 4943 times)

RC23

• World Citizen
Several audio interfaces controlled by JRiver
« on: September 05, 2013, 12:39:15 pm »

My coming surround setup includes 14 channels. As audio interface I will go with two Focusrite interfaces -  a Saffire 40 and a Saffire 24 - which will be connected by Firewire. If I choose a direct Firewire connection with a Firewire PCI card I get a maximum sample rate of 96 kHz for all channels.

Does JRiver support the routing of two or more audio interfaces?

Firewire PCI card  http://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B0014QFUZ4

The volume control will be done by JRiver. Right?

Ruediger

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
Re: Several audio interfaces controlled by JRiver
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2013, 12:51:38 pm »

There's no way to use two audio interfaces in a single zone at one time, unless the driver for the device can present them as a single device.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

RC23

• World Citizen
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2013, 01:57:59 pm »

There is a way to link several Focusrite Saffire audio interfaces with Fireware by Dual Unit support. A Saffire Pro 40 will be connected seriell by Firewire with a further Saffire 24 or 40. Saffire MixControl allows control of two units from the same interface. One unit is displayed at a time.

http://d3se566zfvnmhf.cloudfront.net/sites/default/files/downloads/7241/saffiredualuniteng0.pdf

Only one restriction of this setup exists: The maximum sample rate is set to 48 kHz for two or more linked Saffire interfaces.

Ruediger

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2013, 02:03:49 pm »

Right?

I'm not sure what part of that was a question.  I have no idea if the devices will be presented as a single multi-channel device to the system.  You'd have to try (or ask the device maker).

If you're asking if we can do a good job at volume, the answer is yes.  More here: http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Volume
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

RC23

• World Citizen
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2013, 02:08:24 pm »

If you're asking if we can do a good job at volume, the answer is yes. 

I hope so. :)

pschelbert

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2013, 02:40:31 pm »

I will have similar issue with an RME Fireface UFX and a Motu828mk3hybrid.

I plan to daisychain via ADAT-out (RME) and ADAT-in (Motu) of the other audiointerface.
There are also restrictions, an ADAT (8-channel at 48kHz) will be only 4-channel at 96kHz and only 2-channel at 192kHz.

I plan to use the RME as main, the Motu as slave.
Maximum 96kHz, which will give for the two ADAT  a total of 8-channels.

RME (12)+Motu (8) will give me 20 channels what I need.

Peter

dreikie

« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2013, 10:19:02 pm »

My coming surround setup includes 14 channels. As audio interface I will go with two Focusrite interfaces -  a Saffire 40 and a Saffire 24 - which will be connected by Firewire. If I choose a direct Firewire connection with a Firewire PCI card I get a maximum sample rate of 96 kHz for all channels.

Does JRiver support the routing of two or more audio interfaces?

Firewire PCI card  http://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B0014QFUZ4

Ruediger

Asio4all (http://asio4all.com/) can recognise an unlimited amount of devices/audio interfaces - then i think JRiver should be able to use asio4all as output

RC23

• World Citizen
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2013, 04:06:28 am »

Asio4all (http://asio4all.com/) can recognise an unlimited amount of devices/audio interfaces - then i think JRiver should be able to use asio4all as output

Asio4all is a workaround for interfaces without Asio driver. The standard and better solution is Asio which has been developped for recording gear.

Focusrite comes with Asio and the opportunity to link several interfaces as daisy-chain (one single FireWire port) or parallel connnected (several FireWire ports).

Excerpt out of the Focusrite Saffire Dual Unit manual:

Computer with a single FireWire port:

Connect one Saffire to the FireWire port on the computer.
Connect the second Saffire to the spare FireWire port on the first Saffire.
Note that the Saffire PRO 24, Saffire PRO 24 DSP and Saffire PRO 14 have a single FireWire port, so will need to be connected to a Saffire PRO 40 or Liquid Saffire 56 and will require the external PSU when connected in this way.

Computer with multiple FireWire ports:

Connect both Saffires directly to computer.
Note that both FireWire ports on the computer MUST be on the same FireWire bus. i.e. the same PCI / PCIe FireWire card.

When dual Saffire devices are connected to one computer via FireWire, the two devices will automatically sync together with no need for any additional cable connections. However one device will be set as the Master Sync Device.

Saffire MixControl allows control of two units from the same interface (as GUI). The input and output streams of both units will be combined into a single list when viewed from the DAW, or as seen by the operating system audio preferences when outputting sound from iTunes/Windows Media Player. Each connected Saffire will have a (fixed) hardware ID. Inputs and outputs from the Saffire with the lowest hardware ID will always appear first in the list.

Audio can be routed from Saffire to Saffire using your DAWs own routing capabilities. This allows audio processing from the DAW, but will result in audio latency due to the DAWs audio buffer.

End of excerpt http://d3se566zfvnmhf.cloudfront.net/sites/default/files/downloads/7241/saffiredualuniteng0.pdf

There's no way to use two audio interfaces in a single zone at one time, unless the driver for the device can present them as a single device.

I interpret the answer of Matt that a Dual Unit concept works there the two interfaces are seen as one unit. Perhaps there are users with JRiver experience of such Dual Unit solutions.

Ruediger

pschelbert

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2013, 03:27:27 pm »

I will have similar issue with an RME Fireface UFX and a Motu828mk3hybrid.

I plan to daisychain via ADAT-out (RME) and ADAT-in (Motu) of the other audiointerface.
There are also restrictions, an ADAT (8-channel at 48kHz) will be only 4-channel at 96kHz and only 2-channel at 192kHz.

I plan to use the RME as main, the Motu as slave.
Maximum 96kHz, which will give for the two ADAT  a total of 8-channels.

RME (12)+Motu (8) will give me 20 channels what I need.

Peter

I tried now the above setup.
It does not work in this configuration.
Problem: sample-rate is not fedtrough from RME to Motu. Motu stays in the once set sample-rate.

Idea was to have 44(48)kHz, 96Khz automatically changed for and back according to the files which JRiver plays.

A hint from RME: If a RME Fireface UFX and  a RME ADI-8 DS Mk III or another Fireface UFX are connected via ADAT (for signals) and the sync is runned over AES/EBU-out, AES/EBU-in, then the sample-rate change should be signaled (according to RME).

However due to lack of a second RME-device I could not try it now, may be I have the opportunity to do it later.

Peter
Pages: [1]   Go Up