INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 1st setup-installation of internet connection to server  (Read 3535 times)

MrU

• Junior Woodchuck
1st setup-installation of internet connection to server
« on: September 07, 2013, 08:55:33 am »

I've read , both on Google search and in detail on forum's here  and cannot find idiot installation instructions to be able to access the MC server [here] from the internet [work/Android etc].
the Server/client works perfectly around the house from other pc's and also from my wife/son's Android using there Wi-Fi connection.

BUT, when those Android's are used as a GPS [outside the house] they cannot access the server.

Reading what I can understand on this forum it appears it is a router set up issue.

I know my external IP address - 80.xxx.xx.xx.x
and my pc ,as server, address - 192.xxx.x.xxx
and understand that port no 52199 is your port for opening.

But I do not understand how to set this up correctly.

My Windows is 7 [the firewall on that is on]
My Router is Linksys WAG320N Dual-Band ADSL2+  [the firewall on that is on to allow/restrict some ports - I have, I think, opened up the 52199 port].

I usually find, when explained, that it's something obvious. in my case however I find router configuration [if that's what it is] extremely complex.

From what I saw on my wife's Android whilst using in house Wi-Fi, it looked extremely useful. So am very interested in setting it up if it's possible. I've just actually purchased the version 19 from 17 before.

could anyone enlighten me in very simple terms on what I am doing wrong and what I need to do to set it up correctly.

Geoff

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: 1st setup-installation of internet connection to server
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2013, 08:59:48 am »

It's not simple to explain.  The wiki has a topic called Network Access.  Your router manufacturer usually will have specific instructions on port forwarding.  The idea is that requests from outside your network use the outside address, which the router can forward to the inside address, if it is set correctly.  The firewall(s) must also allow access on that port.

MrU

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2013, 11:53:26 am »

Have looked on wiki internet access: very confusing.

Have looked on Linksys web sight:
http://support.linksys.com/en-eu/support/gateways/WAG320N
Problem there is the terminology of it all.

The attachment supplied shows one of my routing pages.......I assume that is the area to consider?

Am I right in assuming that this problem is indeed a router set up issue? And if so then how can I get through all the misunderstood terminology that is applied to all this router set up procedure [PPPoA-Static/DHCP-etc etc]

my apologies if this all seems very basic to yourselves, but I have always found router set up excessively complex.

MrC

• Your life is short. Give me your money.
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2013, 12:46:58 pm »

Whenever you are trying to configure networking like this, or trying to solve these types of network problems, disable your Windows Firewall and Antivirus software first.  You may think you are a master at configuring them correctly -- but if you were, this thread wouldn't exist. :-)
The opinions I express represent my own folly.

InflatableMouse

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2013, 01:00:13 pm »

Make sure you follow up on Mrc's tips.

I don't mean to make things more confusing for you, but on some routers this is a two-step process. Step 1 would be to open up port 52199 from the outside. Step 2 would be to forward that traffic that is now able to come in, to your pc.

Some routers do step 1 automatically when you create the forward rule, which you seem to have done correctly.

Here's another link that might be helpful. It also provides links to testing your setup from the internet.
http://portforward.com/english/routers/port_forwarding/Linksys/WAG320N/Echolink.htm

MrU

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2013, 05:58:03 am »

Thanks all for trying to help, this is  a problem that I have tried to solve for several years now, but this time am determined as I see it's usefulness.

So  MrC [amusing  what does MrC/MrU mean...lol...don't say] I disabled [briefly] my Windows 7 firewall and my AVG software  after doing as suggested by:

Inflatablemouse: I looked at the link you suggested [have looked at Portforwarding site before [complex for me] and downloaded "1.Download our PFPortCheck Program".

On using that testing both TCP and UDP [they are meaningless to me] with port 52199 [this is the port you suggest ?], they gave me the following messages:
TCP = Could not test port 52199 because some other application has that port locked.Please close any application that may be using this port and try again. [this message was a typical windows pop up when trying with PFPortChecker - I then disabled W7 firewall & AVG software as suggested above and tried again with same message]. Also with that PFPortchecker it said External IP/Ping Result/Port Check Result - Not Determined/can't ping/Port 52199 cant be checked please close any applications that may be using this port and try again.

UDP = Gave External IP Address correctly/Couldn't ping router/Your port is NOT OPEN or not reachable.

As  a possible aside [I don't know if relevant] utilising the same PFPortchecker for ports 80/90 [I think they are standard] although it cannot ping router it states that the port is open.Don't know if that helps.

does the above suggest that it is indeed the Linksys Router set up issue?

my apologies once again if I,m being too simplistic about, what is to me, a very complex issue.

InflatableMouse

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2013, 06:16:10 am »

I didn't realize they now offer a program to download, they used to offer a webpage  ? I hope you declined the extra software that came with it, I'm sorry for this mess.

Try this: http://canyouseeme.org/

Fill in 52199, which is the default port for the library server to test the connection. Before doing so:

Disable the firewall on Windows on which you have MC server running.

Make sure the server is running, there should be a JR logo in the notification area with a tooltip saying "Media Server".

Test locally on the pc with Media Server running: Open a command prompt and type "telnet localhost 52199" and press enter. If telnet is not available (command not found), open control panel, Programs, Turn Windows Features on/off, scroll down to telnet client and install it (no reboot necessary) and try the command prompt again.

If the telnet command fails, make sure Media Server is running. Start it and try again.

If the above all checks out, go to the webpage and check the port again. If it fails your router is the problem.

You can now enable Windows Firewall again.

If the check from the webpage didn't fail, you can try it again after you enabled the Windows firewall.

MrU

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2013, 08:29:34 am »

thankyou for a quick reply,

This gets more complex...hmmm

Try this: http://canyouseeme.org/A-OK with or without W7 firewall on

In notification area is JR logo for media server [actually 2 of them?]

Test locally on the pc with Media Server running
did you mean with MC actually up and running or just server [actually tried both]
Open a command prompt and type "telnet localhost 52199" and press enter
following message:
"telnet" is not a recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file.

If telnet is not available (command not found), open control panel, Programs, Turn Windows Features on/off, scroll down to telnet client and install it (no reboot necessary) and try the command prompt again.

Same message.
tried both canyouseeme   OK
PFPortchecker  not available.

OK...getting complicated now.
Rebooted pc.
checked to see 2 MC servers still in notification area..........SO deleted them both   THEN
started MC 19 [just upgraded from 17 to 19 2 days ago - perhaps that's why there were 2 MC servers showing haven't deleted MC17 yet]
W7 firewall running
MC running
canyouseeme  says OK not blocking
PFPortchecker says no ping result  Port is open on this computer/external IP address showing.

SO I don't know if it works yet as both my son and wife are out and can't get in touch too see if it works or not.
late note:  My son called back, tried it on his "Samsung Galaxy phone....[he downloaded Gizmo 19.0.32 yesterday and set up using the access code I have for MC.. assume it's the same code I use for any household client pc], couldn't connect his phone tried main server  192.xxx.x.xxx  & flipped to 80.xxx.xxx.xx [my external IP address.

Perhaps I'm doing this all wrong but it seems to me this is some sort of router issue?

InflatableMouse

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2013, 08:35:32 am »

thankyou for a quick reply,

This gets more complex...hmmm

Try this: http://canyouseeme.org/A-OK with or without W7 firewall on

In notification area is JR logo for media server [actually 2 of them?]

You tackled the issue below. You need to make sure there is only 1 running. MC19 preferably.

The website check said its oke, so your router is setup correctly. You could have stopped here :P.

SO I don't know if it works yet as both my son and wife are out and can't get in touch too see if it works or not.
late note:  My son called back, tried it on his "Samsung Galaxy phone....[he downloaded Gizmo 19.0.32 yesterday and set up using the access code I have for MC.. assume it's the same code I use for any household client pc], couldn't connect his phone tried main server  192.xxx.x.xxx  & flipped to 80.xxx.xxx.xx [my external IP address.

Perhaps I'm doing this all wrong but it seems to me this is some sort of router issue?

From Gizmo when you're away from home, you need to use the access key that MC gives you. You can look it up under Tools, Options, Media Network.

The website test shows its reachable on 52199. Gizmo should have no trouble accessing it. Make sure the server for MC19 is running.

Unless you still actively use MC17, I would advise to deinstall it.

MrU

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2013, 10:00:04 am »

OK  I've now uninstalled MC v17. As you said that has removed 2nd server icon from taskbar.

Usually I restart pc whenever doing this sort of thing...as know.

using your   http://canyouseeme.org/  trying ports 80/90 and 52199 [using 80 & 90 as I realize they are common ports] it was saying Error: I could not see your service on 80.xxx.xxx.21 on port (80)
Reason: Connection timed out
  for ports 80 & 90 ?    BUT after multiple tries it said for port 52199 Success: I can see your service on 80.xxx.xxx.21 on port (52199)
Your ISP is not blocking port 52199
That is with or without the MC/server being on  & with normal firewalls being on.

By
The website check said its ok
I presume you mean http://canyouseeme.org/

my son tried again just...same error message.? ?

InflatableMouse

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2013, 10:02:17 am »

Did he try with the access key?

MrU

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2013, 10:19:20 am »

The straight answer is yes.

Saying that I am not familiar with my wife or sons Samsung phone or the Gizmo gadget...BUT.

Apparently my son downloaded/installed the Gizmo application [as I said yesterday] onto his and his mom's Samsung then set up connection just as gizmo ask's....It asks for library connection and to enter code for that library [I made the assumption that the code it wanted was the code , as you suggested, on
Tools, Options, Media Network
...that is a 6 digit alphabetic code in both upper & lower case and is the same code that I use for client pc's in the house [I have another desktop & a laptop].

My wife just rang and I asked her to try....same message as said before that her son had???

I don't believe there is any other way to connect than with that access key. Gizmo on those phones does not ask for the access key every time I think? Also once they are home gizmo will work on those phones using Wi-Fi...which makes sense.

InflatableMouse

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2013, 10:29:14 am »

Right, so there might be something I didn't expect. That webpage doesn't actually test a working connection but simply whether your router blocks or drops the traffic.

I'll find you another test in a bit. In the meantime, I suppose you need to look at the router again.

MrU

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #13 on: September 08, 2013, 10:38:37 am »

Yes that was my thought...i.e. the router is probably the issue. That's where I have major issues in understanding the correct set up procedure.

As JimH at the beginning
It's not simple to explain
So I will need quite detailed instruction on that.

This may or may not be relevant  BUT...The server MC is on the computer we are trying to see, but the audio [it's a music library] is linked from a house server[Synology box] to that pc [i.e. LAN connected to the router & then to the server MC pc - and of course to other pc's (LAN & Wi-Fi)]. It may not be relevant, I don't believe so, but worth letting you know. :-\

InflatableMouse

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #14 on: September 08, 2013, 12:04:08 pm »

I just tested canyouseeme.org webtool to test to my own system. The tool gives an error when I stop all MC processes. When I launch MC server it connects succesfully. So this tool works as I expected.

As JimH at the beginning  So I will need quite detailed instruction on that.

I'm afraid I can't give you detailed instructions because I don't have a Linksys router, I am not familiar with its interface or how to set it up properly. Like I said, some routers require a two-step process but seeing the webtool I just tested works properly, this should give you a clear picture of whether it works or not.

You can forget about testing other ports, all you need is 52199. You can check this port under Tools/Options/Media Network under Advanced.

This may or may not be relevant  BUT...The server MC is on the computer we are trying to see, but the audio [it's a music library] is linked from a house server[Synology box] to that pc [i.e. LAN connected to the router & then to the server MC pc - and of course to other pc's (LAN & Wi-Fi)]. It may not be relevant, I don't believe so, but worth letting you know. :-\

This doesn't matter. The PC we try to access over the internet has access to the NAS, that's all that is required.

Please try again with MC and Media Server running. Try a few times in a row with 5 second pauses or so. If it connects sometimes, but fails other times, there may be a problem with your ISP/internet connection.

Also, when connecting from a mobile device over mobila data (not wifi), its connection completely depends on whether you have a good reliable connection to the mobile network. When Gizmo fails to connect you can try if you have other data connections like internet or email. If those fail as well the problem is definitely not with Gizmo. If possible, test Gizmo from someone else's wifi with reliable internet access.

MrC

• Your life is short. Give me your money.
« Reply #15 on: September 08, 2013, 12:37:15 pm »

Folks - please keep in mind the possibility that the ISP is blocking incoming connection attempts.  Many do this to prevent setting up servers on residential provisioning.

This is the first thing you should test.  You'd do this on the LAN side of your home ISP-connected router (if this is your router, you'd want to disable the firewall and any blocking), and test sending packets to see if they make it from WAN to LAN (you can have a friend test this).
The opinions I express represent my own folly.

MrU

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #16 on: September 08, 2013, 12:57:29 pm »

You can check this port under Tools/Options/Media Network under Advanced.

Assuming you mean "test connection to server where you said on drop down list under "Access Key:nxxxxx"
In which case is following message:
"Access key : nxxxxx (please write this down, it has also been copied to the clipboard)
You can load this server on any client by adding a library to the tree (Playing Now>Playing From) and entering the access key above.

So you do not have option to test a particular port there, just the port [not shown] that uses that Access key.?

My wife has tried here a few times using the GPS system on the phone.....bad connection, after about 5 attempts it did get to 1st page of Gizmo but no further. She tested Google search or something, that was intermittent too.
Now to conclude my wife's phone issue, if she switches on the phone to Wi-Fi it connects happily here, which makes sense as it becomes an intranet connection within the house....I assume.

HOWEVER [here we go] My son just rang and he'd tried again using the Wi-Fi connection on his phone [remember he's not at home] and told me it works. I was a little confused at that, then thought that it connects via straightforward internet connection [i.e. his Wi-Fi to whatever router he's near-outside world/52199-to my router then MC server here] that seems logical here.
Just had message from son stating that he'd tried the GPS connection method and that was successful as well although  a bit slow. His thought on that, as you yourself suggested, was poor GPS signals but not as poor as the GPS signal for my wife here [my son uses "Orange" & my wife uses "O2"].

So this is suggesting it almost works. 1 of the most useful things for this Gizmo would be that I have access to my library anywhere, within range that is. But for example in a car, it would be reliant on a good GPS signal...seems iffy that. in static situations, i.e. pubs/restaurants/peoples houses...it would be able to be used from there Wi-Fi.

Perhaps that is what it's for.

Any further comments on all of this would be gratefully accepted.
I really appreciate all the time you have spent on this matter....not the best way to use up a Sunday, but thank you very much indeed. :)

PS: just read incoming from MrC.......I think your comments are perhaps answered in the above comments of mine. If not I presume you mean pinging devices using cmd commands....you'd have to explain  a little more for me to do that if it is necessary.

InflatableMouse

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #17 on: September 08, 2013, 01:01:50 pm »

Sounds like its working but bad reception on the phones was messing with things. It's good to keep this in mind.
Pages: [1]   Go Up