INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Macbook Pro with JRiver connected to a Windows2003 server  (Read 2502 times)

211audio

Macbook Pro with JRiver connected to a Windows2003 server
« on: September 08, 2013, 01:10:58 pm »

I hope to get some guidance on how to connect JRiver on a Macbook to a Windows 2003 server.
When I use the correct SMB:// string by entering it within the connection page (Finder + Applekey-K) I get a prompt  that I can only use this share as Read-Only, what´s fine with me. From that moment I can see all directories and files within the Share.

When I try to choose this share in JRiver (library options), the share is not there/not selectable. When I enter the SMB string in the library location field, it will connect... but it cannot find any files or maps (directories) on that share. I also tried to use Appletalk on my Windows server, but that doesn`t make any difference.

btw: Logitech Media Server is running on my server (and use a Squeezebox Touch currently), but I want to avoid this by using JRiver in combination with my Windows Server.

I have to say that I am not used to work with Mac, so probably the solution is simple (when you know where to find the correct options and settings)

I hope that someone can help me out with this issue.

best regards,

Peter

MrC

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Your life is short. Give me your money.
Re: Macbook Pro with JRiver connected to a Windows2003 server
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2013, 01:26:54 pm »

Are you trying to open a remote (Windows) MC Library from the Mac's MC?  I'm not sure this is (fully) support (yet).

Is that remote Windows MC running MC 18 or MC 19?  You'll need all versions of MC to be the same.

Libraries are by default stored in ~/Library/Application Support/J River/... , for example:

/Users/MrC/Library/Application Support/J River/Media Center 18/Library

and these paths are not readily visible in the Mac's path chooser, since they are hidden, application-specific data stores.

MC won't replace LMS - it can supplement it.  You'll need LMS to operate / use the Touch.

Library Server may be what you want, but I haven't tried in on Mac to Windows in a while (since switching to MC 19 for Win).
The opinions I express represent my own folly.

211audio

« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2013, 01:39:41 pm »

Thank you for your fast reply!  :)

No the Windows server is just a Windows server with 5 TB lossless music onto it. I want to use the Share as input for JRiver that is installed on a Macbook Pro. The Windows volume is NTFS and is visible in de HD map of the Macbook (all the libraries and files) It could be an issue that 99,4% of these files are in .flac format, but there are also some .aif and .mp3 files on that share.

I use the MC 18 trial version. I am intending to buy JRiver, but I want to see it work first.

The connection string that I use is:  smb://DOMAIN;administrator@ServerName/Sharename

so, it is not an rights issue.

Peter

MrC

« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2013, 01:54:34 pm »

Ok, great.  So the remote system is just being used as a file server.

First, you'll probably want to configure the share to be read/write before you start importing into MC.

Second, you'll want to ensure your Mac is connecting the share as read/write so that MC can update the file tags when necessary.  Do this after you've accomplished the above, and then use the Finder to navigate to the system under Shared.  You should be able to select the server and connect to the share as the user required to have read/write access to the remote system's shared file system.

Once that works, you can then configure MC's auto-import to import the files (Tools > Import > Configure Auto-Import...) by selecting the file path in the same way you just did in the Finder above.

211audio

« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2013, 02:31:42 pm »

Ok, thank you!
Somehow it's working right now! It play's well.
I dont want to automatic update the tags... I do that by hand with Tag & Rename on my Windows server.
So I have to find the option to get rid of that :-)

Thank you for helping me out!

peter

MrC

« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2013, 02:39:52 pm »

Great!

Re, tagging, MC is really excellent for tagging, by the way.  And you can use both tools.  There are some niggles in the interface for MC/Mac currently, but they'll get it worked out.

You can disable tag writes: Edit > Update Tags When File Info Changes.

211audio

« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2013, 06:04:56 am »

There is one issue left. First I made the connection based on DLNA (what Logitech media server supports) but that resulted in 60% coverage of the availlable tracks. It is possible that I have to enter another connection string and not
sbm://DOMAIN;userid@servernam/sharename but a connection string to the host with a port address.

Adding a new share on the server (different form the default E$ share) solved my problem. In this case I only use the fileserver capabilities and not the DLNA services.

Strange, but I'm happy that its working now.

Peter
Pages: [1]   Go Up