INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Set DAC Based On File Type  (Read 1904 times)

Balthazar2k4

Set DAC Based On File Type
« on: September 09, 2013, 12:46:18 pm »

I have two DACs both connected via USB.  I am using an Emotiva DC-1 for PCM and a Schiit Loki for DSD.  Is it possible to set within JRiver which DAC to output to based on filetype?  For instance, DSF/DFF to the Loki and FLAC/ALAC/WAV to the DC-1.  This would eliminate the need to constantly switch up DACs in the Output Settings based on what I want to listen to.

Thanks.

InflatableMouse

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Set DAC Based On File Type
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2013, 12:58:55 pm »

You could use zones based on filetype.

The problem with this is that if you add files from both types to playing now, your playlist will be split over 2 zones.

Balthazar2k4

« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2013, 01:03:31 pm »

You could use zones based on filetype.

The problem with this is that if you add files from both types to playing now, your playlist will be split over 2 zones.

What is the disadvantage of having the playlist split over two zones?  Are you saying it would play two different file types at the same time in the traditional zone sense?

InflatableMouse

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2013, 01:07:46 pm »

If you add 10 songs, tracks 1,3,5,7,9 are filetypes for Zone1 and tracks 2,4,6,8,10 are filetypes sent to Zone2. This way, you'll lose the order in which you added them to playing now. They'd be split over 2 zones and no longer play consecutively.

Balthazar2k4

« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2013, 01:11:45 pm »

If you add 10 songs, tracks 1,3,5,7,9 are filetypes for Zone1 and tracks 2,4,6,8,10 are filetypes sent to Zone2. This way, you'll lose the order in which you added them to playing now. They'd be split over 2 zones and no longer play consecutively.

I see.  So I can't really mix the two file types properly should I choose to implement the zone methodology.  Are there any future plans to possibly incorporate mulitple DAC support?  While I realize what I am asking is pretty edge case, with time this may change.

InflatableMouse

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2013, 01:23:44 pm »

There are gradually more and more requests for this since zones have been introduced.

Currently zones are their own "Playing now"s, if that makes sense.

I wish Playing Now was just that, playing now, as it was before zones were introduced. If I add 10 tracks and a video, they all go to playing now. To play a track, Playing Now would utilize a Zone to play that track according to zone switch rules. Playing Now could contain files played to different zones as it progresses to the playlist.

Each zone could still list the tracks that will be played there from playing now, but each zone wouldn't be a "Playing Now".

I think this would make zones infinitely more useful. A library field could be added to override zone switch rules for instance, and an album or track could utilize a zone copy of another zone, but with its own EQ settings (another much requested feature).

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2013, 01:31:49 pm »

I wish Playing Now was just that, playing now, as it was before zones were introduced. If I add 10 tracks and a video, they all go to playing now. To play a track, Playing Now would utilize a Zone to play that track according to zone switch rules. Playing Now could contain files played to different zones as it progresses to the playlist.

Zones must offer the ability to play different things in different zones at the same time.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

InflatableMouse

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2013, 03:20:39 pm »

I'm sure there is way that would still be possible, like a setting on a zone to make it independent?

kstuart

• Upgraded to MC22 Master using preorder discount
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2013, 03:28:40 pm »

Zones must offer the ability to play different things in different zones at the same time.

That is definitely a feature with significant utility.

I think the only way to keep that feature, and also support what InflatableMouse is suggesting, is to add an option to have only one Playing Now (in the same way, that Windows programs offer an option to have "multiple instances" or not have them).

So, the option could be "Do not allow multiple Playing Nows".  The default would be the current situation, so as to not confuse users.

Then those of us who have a stereo DAC for 2-channel tracks, and a different DAC (in motherboard or AV receiver) for multichannel tracks, could have a playlist that has both types of tracks.
Pages: [1]   Go Up