INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Mac Mini drive died  (Read 3265 times)

czapp

• Recent member
Mac Mini drive died
« on: September 09, 2013, 12:58:18 pm »

Hi
The hard drive in my Mac Mini has died. I am able to extract most of the files, but the drive is history. My music is in a Synology NAS, so it is unaffected.
I need to download a new version of Media Center, and I am wondering how to transfer my library info. Is there anything else I need to locate and transfer to the new drive?
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks

InflatableMouse

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Help please!
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2013, 01:01:32 pm »

Try to recover your a library backup. I don't know the default location on a mac, but if you can recover a recent library backup, you can simply restore it once you have reinstalled MC and have all your settings, playlists and library back in place.

czapp

• Recent member
Re: Mac Mini drive died
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2013, 07:36:25 am »

I can't seem to find any library files or settings. I removed the drive from the mini, and copied whatever files there were to an external usb drive. When I open MC on that drive, there are no library files, and no settings. Am I totally screwed here, or is there anything else I can do?
Thanks

InflatableMouse

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2013, 08:37:25 am »

Someone need to help you with knowledge about the locations of library backups. I don't use a Mac so I can' help you with it.

Sorry.

jtwrace

• Galactic Citizen
  • "Science is not a democracy"-Earl Geddes, Ph.D.
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2013, 08:45:18 am »

I'll search tonight when I'm home.  What is the file called?  I can easily search the Mac and let you know exactly where it's located (assuming it's not on my NAS).
W10 NUC i7 (Gen 10) > (Audiolense FIR) > Motu UltraLite mk5 > (4) Hypex NCore NC502MP > JBL M2 Master Reference +4 subs

My podcast:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCXMw_bZWBMtRWNJQfTJ38kA/videos

freddie40

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2013, 09:39:45 am »

Look under Users/Library/Application Support/JRiver.  In the JRiver folder is everything that you will need from your drive.

Dave
Crystal Clear Music Tweaked Mac Mini  /  Mountain Lion -> JRiver -> Ayre QB9 -> Bryston BP26DA -> Bryston 4BSST2 -> B&W 802Di | Transparent interconnects & Wire |  Crystal Clear Music Power Cords

bplexico

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2013, 09:44:06 am »

Be default the location of the library files is here:

/Users/<your username>/Library/Application Support/J River/Media Center 18
Mac Mini (16Gb memory, 2.3GHz i7, SSD), Synology NAS, MSB Analog DAC, Tubes, Cables, DeVore O/96s

czapp

• Recent member
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2013, 08:07:44 am »

Hi
Thanks to all for the advice. It turns out that most of the files left on the drive were corrupted, and I need to start from scratch.
There is a lesson to be learned here. I have gone to great lengths to back up my music files, but have neglected to back up the
mini's hard drive. Big mistake!

bplexico

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2013, 10:13:02 am »

Sorry to hear that - remember you can also make a backup of your JRiver library and store it on your NAS - I do that.

Barr
Mac Mini (16Gb memory, 2.3GHz i7, SSD), Synology NAS, MSB Analog DAC, Tubes, Cables, DeVore O/96s

jtwrace

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2013, 10:52:27 am »

Hi
Thanks to all for the advice. It turns out that most of the files left on the drive were corrupted, and I need to start from scratch.
There is a lesson to be learned here. I have gone to great lengths to back up my music files, but have neglected to back up the
mini's hard drive. Big mistake!
Yes, I use SuperDuper! for this as it's also a bootable backup. 

remember you can also make a backup of your JRiver library and store it on your NAS - I do that.

Barr
How do I do that?
W10 NUC i7 (Gen 10) > (Audiolense FIR) > Motu UltraLite mk5 > (4) Hypex NCore NC502MP > JBL M2 Master Reference +4 subs

My podcast:

bplexico

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2013, 12:24:32 pm »

To backup your library from within JRiver:

File->Library->Backup Library

Then specify a location for the backup file (ie your NAS)

Barr

jtwrace

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2013, 12:35:01 pm »

To backup your library from within JRiver:

File->Library->Backup Library

Then specify a location for the backup file (ie your NAS)

Barr
That was easy.   :-[

My podcast:

czapp

• Recent member
« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2013, 08:18:22 am »

It really was easy. Thanks!

jtwrace

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #13 on: September 18, 2013, 06:17:08 pm »

And in an event of a crash for file loss, you load this in and it does what?

My podcast:

bplexico

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #14 on: September 18, 2013, 07:11:16 pm »

I knew someone would get around to asking that!

This is what I found from the WIKI - perhaps John or someone else from JRiver could weigh in here, but I think if you lost your HD with the JRiver application and associated configuration files (for example these are on your boot drive) you would merely need to re-install your OS, re install JRiver and then Restore this library file and you would be back to where you were pre-crash. This of course does not have the music files themselves.

This is what I read:

The Library contains information about all of your files. It doesn't contain the files themselves.
MC will backup the Library automatically on a regular basis, approximately every two days. The location of the Library backup file is determined by the setting in Tools > Options > File Location > Program Files > Library Backups.
You can back up your library manually if you need to, for example before you make significant changes to the library. Go to File > Library > Back Up Library. You can choose the location at this point. Note: this creates a backup of the currently loaded library. To back up all your libraries, open each one and repeat the process.
Also, remember that the backup will save the Library and all of your settings

jtwrace

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #15 on: September 18, 2013, 07:23:10 pm »

I knew someone would get around to asking that!

This is what I found from the WIKI - perhaps John or someone else from JRiver could weigh in here, but I think if you lost your HD with the JRiver application and associated configuration files (for example these are on your boot drive) you would merely need to re-install your OS, re install JRiver and then Restore this library file and you would be back to where you were pre-crash. This of course does not have the music files themselves.

This is what I read:

The Library contains information about all of your files. It doesn't contain the files themselves.
MC will backup the Library automatically on a regular basis, approximately every two days. The location of the Library backup file is determined by the setting in Tools > Options > File Location > Program Files > Library Backups.
You can back up your library manually if you need to, for example before you make significant changes to the library. Go to File > Library > Back Up Library. You can choose the location at this point. Note: this creates a backup of the currently loaded library. To back up all your libraries, open each one and repeat the process.
Also, remember that the backup will save the Library and all of your settings

OK.  That all makes sense to me.   :)

My podcast:
Pages: [1]   Go Up