INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Windows 8.1 RTM Installation  (Read 2216 times)

Dr Tone

• World Citizen
Windows 8.1 RTM Installation
« on: September 10, 2013, 08:20:34 am »

Just some observations and discoveries with regards to installing MC 19 and uninstalling MC 18.

My 8.1 is RTM upgraded from Windows 8.

To get the MC 19 installer to work I had to run it as Administrator.  Something I didn't have to do on Windows 8.

To get MC 18 to uninstall, I had to reinstall over the existing install it as Administrator first.  It would just error out otherwise.

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Windows 8.1 RTM Installation
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2013, 08:48:14 am »

To get the MC 19 installer to work I had to run it as Administrator.  Something I didn't have to do on Windows 8.
Now that 8.1 is on MSDN and TechNet, I've installed it on my system. I'm also trying to run with a standard user account rather than an administrator account now. (the default account in 8 was admin, and I just used that)
I have run into a few issues caused by this—not everything behaves correctly when you use “run as administrator”—but I've not had any problems with Media Center so far.

On a standard user account, I am getting prompted for administrator access to install MC19 - but I don't think this is any different from MC18 on Windows 8. If software is installing to Program Files, I think it's required.

So far, I have only had one piece of software that did not require administrator access to be installed, and it tried installing itself to "My Documents" instead of Program Files until I chose to run it as an administrator.
Most other software just fails if you deny it administrator access. I wonder if Media Center should try installing a portable version if the installer is not given elevated permissions.

To get MC 18 to uninstall, I had to reinstall over the existing install it as Administrator first.  It would just error out otherwise.
There is currently a bug which requires you to run MC18 and accept the UAC prompt before you try to uninstall it, or it will fail. This is unrelated to Windows 8.1

Dr Tone

• World Citizen
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2013, 08:51:39 am »

My account is an Administrator account.  So having to still run as Administrator is odd.

« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2013, 08:53:11 am »

My account is an Administrator account.  So having to still run as Administrator is odd.
When you say "having to run as administrator" do you mean that you have to accept a UAC prompt, or that you have to right click it and choose "run as administrator" ?
Have you disabled UAC on your system? I found that Windows 8 would sometimes behave a little strangely when doing this.

Hendrik

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2013, 08:53:24 am »

Thats pretty normal. The feature is called UAC, which means that even if your account is an administrator, it'll ask for permission on certain actions.
I installed MC19 on a clean 8.1 RTM as well, and i didn't notice anything that i wouldn't expect. Application installers typically ask for UAC elevation, since Program Files is strictly protected.
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

Dr Tone

• World Citizen
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2013, 09:02:22 am »

This is all new to 8.1

I have never been prompted for UAC on Windows 8, nor have I had to run MC installers using the right click "Run As Administrator" option.

And yes I have UAC set to "Never Notify".

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2013, 09:46:54 am »

And yes I have UAC set to "Never Notify".
Try changing that.

JazzDoc

• World Citizen
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2013, 10:47:17 am »

I haven't installed the RTM version but I did try the Windows 8.1 Preview. I downloaded the iso file and burned it to DVD but I couldn't get the DVD to boot. I used the Windows 7 USB/DVD tool:

http://www.microsoftstore.com/store/msusa/html/pbPage.Help_Win7_usbdvd_dwnTool

and set my BIOS to boot from the USB drive. It worked fine and gave me a clean install
Pages: [1]   Go Up