INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: ? How to get started with Win8 and Ceton 6 ETH ?  (Read 6680 times)

edyohome

• Recent member
? How to get started with Win8 and Ceton 6 ETH ?
« on: September 10, 2013, 03:32:07 pm »

I'm currently using Win7/WMC with a Ceton Infinitv 6ETH as primary device. I have also setup an experimental box on my network with Windows 8 and am interested in testing to see if JRiverMC v19 will work to access Ceton 6ETH.

Does Win8MC need to be installed on the machine where JRiverMC19 is loaded? I am currently running stock Win8 (not Win8 Pro). I am looking for an alternative to Windows Media Center so I do not want to purchase Windows 8 Pro and WMC8.
Can JRiverMC19 be used to access the Ceton 6ETH without Win8MC (and thereby Win8Pro) present? I have enabled DLNA within JRiverMC19 but it still does not detect the Ceton 6ETH. The Ceton Diagnostic tool can see the tuners on the network but it does have complaints about not being able to configure and run Windows Media Center.  Will this interfere with running JRiverMC19?

Any advice or instruction you could give on how to get this running or if it is even possible would be appreciated.

Thx

Yaobing

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Dogs of the world unite!
Re: ? How to get started with Win8 and Ceton 6 ETH ?
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2013, 07:25:36 pm »

You may already have read it, but in case you have not, please take a look at this:

http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=83318.0
Yaobing Deng, JRiver Media Center

edyohome

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2013, 09:44:14 pm »

You may already have read it, but in case you have not, please take a look at this:

http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=83318.0

Yes I read that and followed instructions but JRiverMC19 can not see my Ceton 6ETH on Win8. I do not have WMC loaded on the Win8 machine just the Ceton drivers and diagnostic app. WMC is loaded on all of my Win7 machines and I use WMC on those machines not JRiver. I'm trying to determine if it is a requirement to have WMC loaded onto the machine in addition to JRiverMC for JRiverMC to function?  Again Win8 is just an experiment for me to determine if I would like to migrate to it as an OS. I do not plan on purchasing Win8Pro and WMC just for this experiment. I am trying to use JRiverMC19 as that experiment to determine if it can be a suitable replacement for Windows Media Center.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2013, 07:57:40 am »

JRiver Media Center doesn't need WMC.

Firewalls can be a problem.

Yaobing

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2013, 07:58:39 am »

As far as I understand, you do not need to have Windows Media Center installed.  I do not know why the device is not discovered.  We have not tested this device ourselves.  You need to grant MC19 network access in both directions.

edyohome

• Recent member
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2013, 10:42:38 am »

As far as I understand, you do not need to have Windows Media Center installed.  I do not know why the device is not discovered.  We have not tested this device ourselves.  You need to grant MC19 network access in both directions.

Okay, I'll try that and report back.  Thanks for info.

edyohome

• Recent member
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2013, 12:48:29 pm »

Okay, here is how it went. It must have been a firewall issue. I did temporarily disable firewall and then MC19 recognized the Ceton 6ETH. It populated and scanned channels, but alas since I have Time Warner Cable (Dallas TX) the only channels that I was allowed to view were the non-CCI flagged (open copy) channels.  In essence, only my local channels that I can get OTA. All of the cable channels were encrypted and would not show through MC19. I got only a blank/black screen.  No warning notice or anything just black screen.

So the good is that it works...Windows 8.1 Pro Preview with Ceton Infinitv 6 ETH. The bad is that TWC Dallas cripples the experience to a non-starter.  If you guys can ever get ability to pass CCI flagged content (something similar to MS Playready) I'll come back.

The other thing I noticed is that while using DLNA access of the Ceton 6 ETH through JRiverMC19 over my network, it totally borked my Win7MC connectivity to the Ceton 6ETH. Each time I would access the tuners through JRiver, I would have to go back, rediscover the tuners under WMC7 and run through the tuner setup for the other machines.  So evidently the two methods can not coexist on the same network at the same time.

I'll continue to monitor MC19 and if you can get the copy protected channels working I'll be back to try again.

Thx

Yaobing

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2013, 06:37:06 pm »

I believe the issue with MC coexisting with WMC is caused by WMC.  WMC does not detect which tuner is in use by another application, or on another computer.  It relies on user configuration to decide which tuner is used on a particular computer.  For example you need to designate tuner 1, 2 to computer 1, tuner 3 to computer 2, and the rest of the tuners to computer 3.  If you did that, WMC on computer 1 will only access tuners 1 and 2.  MC uses a more elegant solution. It uses any tuner that is not used by other applications.  WMC on computer 1 will assume it can always access tuners 1 and 2, even if MC is using one or both of them.  Any time two applications try to use the same tuner, bad things happen.

edyohome

• Recent member
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2013, 09:24:39 pm »

I would agree that WMC does like to have full control of all tuners, but the Ceton 6ETH is much like the SD HomeRun Prime, it is a true networked tuner, not a network bridge. It is connected externally, directly to the LAN router or switch. So all tuners are available to any PC on the network and has dynamic tuner pooling.  So It should behave much like the HDHR Prime. I don't have a Prime so I don't know if this is a true statement but since both devices implement in a similar fashion, if there are differences they should only manifest in terms of driver and firmware capability. The network portion should be quite similar.

Again I would agree that WMC appears to want full control over all tuners on that network but I would suspect an HDHR Prime would exhibit the same behavior if dual loaded on a LAN with Win7MC and JRiverMC19.

In any case, until TWC can get their collective heads out of there anal orifices and fix the CCI-flag issue MC19 is a non-starter for me.
Pages: [1]   Go Up