INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Help/advice for best sound when purchasing a new PC?  (Read 3127 times)

Soshanna

• Junior Woodchuck
Help/advice for best sound when purchasing a new PC?
« on: September 11, 2013, 02:36:11 am »

ETA:  After writing all this, I guess to simplify things, what Soundcard would you put in a PC that would be the best for MC19's audio playback abilities? 

I am going to be in the market for a new computer here soon.  I am not sure if I want to go with a desk top PC or laptop.  If I can get great sound out of a laptop, Id rather do that...but if not Ill go with the desk top PC.  

My main reason for asking for help is that I want to get the BEST sound quality available for playing my music.  I will be storing and using my computer for my entire music library and playback.   So I would love some advice and recommendations for soundcards, or anything that I would need to get the best sound possible.  I am not real computer friendly and will most likely have to rely on others advice and recs to build this thing.  Ive been doing a lot of reading about soundcards and audiophile quality and I am sooooo confused.  I just want great sound without having to read a book to know how to do it.   ;D

As far as playback...eventually I want to hook up a 5.1, system, not sure exactly what type of speakers I am going to get right now, but for now I have some real nice 2.1 Pro Media Klipsch that sound pretty good on what I am using now which is just a laptop computer with no special soundcards or anything extra.

I appreciate your expert advice on what you have found works the best with MC19.  Price isn't really an issue within reason.....I want to get the best I can for the money spent.  I kinda of figure Ill have to put in a couple grand to get what I want.  :'(    Thank you, much appreciated.

ETA:  Video playback isnt really priority at this point as I dont watch much TV or movies or do any gaming.  Its all about music....loud & heavy.   8)
Don't fix it if it ain't broken!  If it's broken and you can't fix it, shoot it!

astromo

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Help/advice for best sound when purchasing a new PC?
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2013, 04:04:58 am »

As well as a lot of useful suggestion from the Interact community, and if you haven't already checked it out, this site provides a smorgasbord of gear (hard and soft) to consider:
http://www.computeraudiophile.com/content/331-computer-audiophile-suggested-hardware-list/
especially if you want off the shelf solutions.

You really are in "how long's a piece of string" territory, though. I'd expect you'll get plenty of advice that won't work for you until you get the right one that strikes a harmonious chord.

Why are you keen on a laptop? Is size the issue or are you an itinerant type? If you're coupling up with a decent sound system, and especially going 5.1, you won't be that portable.

If you want a small footprint, then something like the Intel NUC kit could be what you're after. Track it down with a web search. Plus search here. One user posted a review a little while ago.

There are other small footprint options if you want to get a pile of parts and build a unit. Is DIY your thing?

If so, here's an option that comes to mind but it hasn't made it to mainstream production yet:
http://www.hd-plex.com/forum/showthread.php?t=841
Prototype photos here:
http://www.hd-plex.com/forum/showthread.php?p=2308#post2308
MC31, Win10 x64, HD-Plex H5 Gen2 Case, HD-Plex 400W Hi-Fi DC-ATX / AC-DC PSU, Gigabyte Z370 ULTRA Gaming 2.0 MoBo, Intel Core i7 8700 CPU, 4x8GB GSkill DDR4 RAM, Schiit Modi Multibit DAC, Freya Pre, Nelson Pass Aleph J DIY Clone, Ascension Timberwolf 8893BSRTL Speakers, BJC 5T00UP cables, DVB-T Tuner HDHR5-4DT

Wungun

• World Citizen
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2013, 06:54:09 am »

I use an Asus Xonar D2 in my setup (7.1) and it sounds superb if I do say so myself.
I'm interested in just 2 channel audio and will eventually be swapping the D2 for an Essence ST.
The D2 had excellent analog circuitry, and also digital/optical out if you wanted to run it thru a surround processor.
I actually have 2 of these...
If you're interested, I could part with one (shameless plug!)

pschelbert

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2013, 04:22:15 pm »

Important:

-fanless PC (none for processor, none for HD, none for power-supply!): I am actually also looking for one, but have not yet searched thoroughly. HD must be SSD, no mechanical noise...

-Streaming software (here JRiver is the choice for PC, no other can do it like JRiver at this moment. foobar is costless, but by far not so nice to use and much less features) Yes you can do surround and you can do whatever samplerate you want, bit-depht etc. etc.

-Audio-card: only use external audio-interface, gives you the best performance. Internal audio-card you habe noise from powersupply of the PC, cables etc.
External audio-interfave you can power and separate nicely (USB or Firewire connection)

-High quality musicfiles

-great music.... (althoug some of the best tunes are bad quality unfortunately...)

Peter

astromo

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2013, 05:49:37 pm »

Important:

-fanless PC (none for processor, none for HD, none for power-supply!): I am actually also looking for one, but have not yet searched thoroughly. HD must be SSD, no mechanical noise...

-Streaming software (here JRiver is the choice for PC, no other can do it like JRiver at this moment. foobar is costless, but by far not so nice to use and much less features) Yes you can do surround and you can do whatever samplerate you want, bit-depht etc. etc.

-Audio-card: only use external audio-interface, gives you the best performance. Internal audio-card you habe noise from powersupply of the PC, cables etc.
External audio-interfave you can power and separate nicely (USB or Firewire connection)

-High quality musicfiles

-great music.... (althoug some of the best tunes are bad quality unfortunately...)

Peter

Fanless PC - entirely agree, hence my previous comments.

Audio - I've opted for an integrated DAC/Digital Amp (check the signature for details). It sucks in HDMI from the PC, passes the digital audio to the digital amp and sends the signal on to the video device. If you want a minimalist approach (minimum equipment and minimum data handling) then that's one way to do it and it works for me.

Software - for a Windows platform in terms of standard and media versatility, pay the money, it's a no-brainer.

Great music ... let your ears decide
MC31, Win10 x64, HD-Plex H5 Gen2 Case, HD-Plex 400W Hi-Fi DC-ATX / AC-DC PSU, Gigabyte Z370 ULTRA Gaming 2.0 MoBo, Intel Core i7 8700 CPU, 4x8GB GSkill DDR4 RAM, Schiit Modi Multibit DAC, Freya Pre, Nelson Pass Aleph J DIY Clone, Ascension Timberwolf 8893BSRTL Speakers, BJC 5T00UP cables, DVB-T Tuner HDHR5-4DT

Soshanna

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2013, 08:20:35 pm »

Thank you all for your help and suggestions. Much appreciated! ;D
Don't fix it if it ain't broken!  If it's broken and you can't fix it, shoot it!

Wungun

• World Citizen
Help/advice for best sound when purchasing a new PC?
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2013, 08:26:00 am »

Peter

I'm not so sure your reasoning is so "sound" lol
Further passing your audio thru your mainboard, then into the USB controller, then thru a USB cable, into your "device", and finally outputted to your amp, in my opinion, runs the chance of picking up far more "noise" than thru a PCI/PCIe soundcard.
Shielded cards are common (Xonar), and if it is a concern, building a simple Faraday cage/screen on your sound card wouldn't be to difficult, and go a long way to eliminating EMI.
Shielding the PSU, twisting any cabling that carries power and routing it close to the chassis and not suspending it "in air" helps.
A quality mainboard with well designed ground/power planes and quality regulators will also help (Gigabyte Ultradurable boards are a good example).

gtgray

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2013, 07:38:22 pm »

As I have maintained in other threads with the PC you never really know what you have. I have an H61M from BioStar that is quite clean noise wise, I have a premium Intel board which is extremely noisy on the Southbridge side of the bus which is where USB and PCI exist. You really don't know what you have until plug the pieces together. On the Intel media board everything I tried in the PC ran fine including Intel HDMI Audio. It was only when I tried to run DAC on USB that I found that both USB and later PCI were extremely noisy. There is no optical port on that board so I never learned whether the Realtek audio chipset could send clean digital out. I can only assume that analog was noisy. I never tried it though as know the RealTek is on the Southbridge. Audio from an add in card on PCIe had no noise problems in the same board either analog or digital out.
Pages: [1]   Go Up