INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: VLC as default External Player over Library Server? Possible?  (Read 3028 times)

exotichamster

• Recent member
VLC as default External Player over Library Server? Possible?
« on: September 11, 2013, 10:14:11 am »

Hello Everyone!

I have a desktop that I use as the library server, and I have a laptop that I use as the client. On my laptop I would like to use VLC as the default player. However, when I associate all video files to be played on VLC they do not open up correctly, because there is a path issue. VLC takes the file path from the desktop, and tries to play it on my laptop. This doesn't work because the file is not stored on my desktop.

For instance, the file is stored at C:\movies\ on my desktop. When VLC opens the video it tries the same path C:\movies\ on my laptop.

Is there anyway to fix this?

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
Re: VLC as default External Player over Library Server? Possible?
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2013, 11:16:30 am »

Is there some reason you're not playing in MC?  It's generally a very good video player.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

exotichamster

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2013, 12:59:45 pm »

My laptop is core2duo, 3gb ram, and has the 8600GS nVidea video card. It cannot handle the standard Red October settings, even the theater view is very slow. This is with a brand new installation of windows 7, and installation of the latest video drivers.

The only way I can get the theater view, and the video not to skip is to enable MadVr, turn down all the settings, and also switch my video card over to performance over quality.

However, MadVR still doesn't render as well as VLC. The VLC player has zero issues in opening any of my videos, and that is why I want to use VLC.

Any idea on how I can accomplish that?

fitbrit

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2013, 03:30:52 pm »

There is something wrong with your system if you cannot use Red October standard. Do you have Use Hardware Acceleration checked? Your video card and CPU are more than enough to handle RO standard.

exotichamster

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2013, 05:27:46 pm »

It's on a Fresh Windows 7 install. Also, checking hardware acceleration actually slows it down.

I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling JRiver multiple times. Same result. Standard Red October is still hella slow, but VLC works perfectly. MadVR works pretty good, but still not as good as VLC.

Is there a particular way to uninstall JRiver? I'm just doing the standard installation, and removing the registry files.

exotichamster

• Recent member
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2013, 05:28:40 pm »

Also my laptop is about 6 years old, and I'm using HDMI out.

terrym@tassie

• MC Beta Team
  • Galactic Citizen
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2013, 07:26:28 pm »

I'm not sure you are comparing like with like here- If you are trying to play a video in MC19 as a CLIENT the old laptop will also have to be handling a considerable amount of network traffic and it will load the machine quite heavily. Have you tried copying a video so that it is on the local disk of the old laptop and then playing it using MC19 File: Open media file.
I have a very old machine and when I compare the loading of MC19 versus VLC for a LOCAL file then VLC actually uses more resources than MC19 RO standard. If I play a video using the old machine as a  MC 19 CLIENT then the loading shoots up to 100% cpu due to the network traffic and video is problematic.
If you still think you want to use VLC as the renderer on the MC19 client the only way is to map a network drive to your server but this would mean your video files would need to be on say an M: drive on the server so you could map a corresponding M: network drive on the client- MC19 would then correctly pass the file parameters to VLC.
Try using the Windows resource monitor when you are experimenting to see what is happening on the network and the cpu usage.
" I like work: it fascinates me. I can sit and look at it for hours." -Jerome K. Jerome

exotichamster

• Recent member
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2013, 08:55:34 pm »

I tested JRiver & VLC on local files, and the same result occurs. VLC is just a better default player in my situation than Red October.

What do you mean by map the drive? All my media is stored on my desktop, what exactly do I need to map?

terrym@tassie

• MC Beta Team
  • Galactic Citizen
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2013, 09:46:12 pm »

On server physical drive M:- network share- right click in Explorer and open properties, open sharing tab and enable network sharing- share as M for example. On Client select server network share M in Explorer and right click and select Map Network drive map to M: drive.
None of the above will be any use unless you have a drive on the server that can be given an appropriate drive letter. If you only have one physical drive C: then you will not be able to map it.
If that is the case you will need to update the MC19 video database so that (for example) C:\users\video is referred to as \\servername\users\video (insert network name of server in servername) and the C:\users\video is shared as per instruction in first line of this reply.
This means the server video file is then \\servername\users\video\myvideo.mp4 and can be seen from the CLIENT machine as \\servername\users\video\myvideo.mp4.

Test it on one file- use MC19 Library tools "Rename, copy and update" and select Update and change the path- make sure the network is working correctly first though.
" I like work: it fascinates me. I can sit and look at it for hours." -Jerome K. Jerome

exotichamster

• Recent member
« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2013, 10:31:47 pm »

Thanks Terry, I'll give it a shot tomorrow :)

I was thinking there was a token I could insert right below selecting the external player in JRiver

fitbrit

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2013, 11:29:33 pm »

I didn't read your setup properly. I think Terry's suggestion is an excellent one, and might be the key.

exotichamster

• Recent member
« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2013, 09:29:35 am »

Ok Terry's suggestion worked. Thank you Terry.

I also figured out why the Red October was running slow. I had the default theme on in theater mode, and it was causing the videos I opened to be really slow.

So right now my setup is without theater view themes, and also I lowered my resolution from 1080p to 720p. After I did that I'm running Red October standard without a problem. :)
Pages: [1]   Go Up