INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: When I try to bitstream audio I get an error.  (Read 6713 times)

05Goat

• Recent member
When I try to bitstream audio I get an error.
« on: September 11, 2013, 11:06:58 am »

It says go into DSP and pick the correct settings.. I never had this issue until one day it just started happening. I can't bitstream at all. Does anyone know why? It just does multichannel if I use direct sound. Are there certain settings I need to choose in DSP to fix this? Does anyone with their working properly,is it possible to post some pics up of your settings? This is driving me crazy.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
Re: When I try to bitstream audio I get an error.
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2013, 11:14:50 am »

Please provide more details, like what sound card you're using, what you're connecting to, what interface you're using, etc.

You will generally achieve the best quality by not bitstreaming.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

05Goat

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2013, 11:49:27 am »

Please provide more details, like what sound card you're using, what you're connecting to, what interface you're using, etc.

I'm using a HTPC,I have it connected to an Onkyo 818. I have it set to the 818 in windows and MC 18/19.. I have both. It used to say Dolby True HD/DTS MA when I played a movie. Now is says Multi,and I have to change the setting to non bitstreaming to get that. If I try to bitstream it comes up with that error about going into the DSP and correcting the settings. I don't even know what the settings are supposed to be at. I used to be able to bitstream just fine and everything worked.

fitbrit

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2013, 12:40:56 pm »

You could try this:

1) In Windows, right click on the volume icon and go to playback devices.
2) You should see your Onkyo 818 as the default device. Click on it, then on configure.
3) You SHOULD see various options for number of channels, e.g. 2.0, 4.0, 5.1, 7.1
4) Make sure 7.1 is selected, or at least 5.1 depending on your configuration. You can do the speaker test if you want to too.
5) Choose your other settings for the speaker system you have.
6) Close the control panel.
7) Now check in MC to make sure the audio device is still the 818.
8 ) Try bitstreaming again.

Do you have an nVidia video card? I'm finding a lot of issues with audio in recent driver releases, especially with my Onkyos.

05Goat

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2013, 12:44:29 pm »

I'm pretty sure I tried that also,but when I get home I will try it again. Thank you for the info..

fitbrit

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2013, 02:53:15 pm »

I'm pretty sure I tried that also,but when I get home I will try it again. Thank you for the info..

I'm finding that this is getting reset to stereo sometimes if I turn the receiver off.

05Goat

• Recent member
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2013, 04:29:41 pm »

What are the settings in the DSP supposed to be at? I don't even know.

05Goat

• Recent member
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2013, 05:57:58 pm »

I'm not using an Nvidia card,I'm using the intel Ivy Bridge chipset. Was working great,Dolby True HD doesn't work either. grrrrr

fitbrit

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2013, 07:20:05 pm »

When you go to playback devices and select the Onkyo, what does it say under supported formats (in Properties)?
Perhaps the HD audio driver got corrupted.
Did you try reinstalling the Intel audio driver again?

05Goat

• Recent member
« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2013, 07:33:57 pm »

No,but that's not a bad idea,I'll try that and report back.. :)

Vocalpoint

« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2013, 11:42:57 am »

Matt,

Could you expand on this a bit? How exactly does one achieve the best quality from MC - WITHOUT Bitstreaming?

Logic suggests that if a user places a well mastered BluRay source disc into a decent BluRay player which is connected to a nice pro-sumer quality AVR (Pioneer Elite in my case) via HDMI - that should deliver exactly what the studio intended - a totally solid multichannel movie experience.

Now if the same user rips that same BR movie to a file and plays it via MC (Bitstreamed) on a HTPC which is connected to the same AVR via HDMI - the quality should be identical. Which we get here all the time now.

However  - if I turn off bitstreaming in MC (which I did try early on) and use a basic 5.1 layout for movies - I found the result to be totally underwhelming (low volume, thin sound etc) with respect to the (now decoded) PCM streams that were coming out of the AVR. Obviously I am missing huge here in terms of calibrating my multi-channel outs in MC with no bitstreaming on.

Can anyone point me in the right direction on how to work with MC to actually realize "best quality" multichannel sound?

Cheers,

VP

StuckMojo

• Galactic Citizen
  • Change this by choosing profile
« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2013, 12:08:42 pm »

Better, don't ask this question, because this is a never ending story..........................................................

There is only one solution:

1. Bitstreaming should work as alwas until now, and....
2. For all users which think adding dsp settings to expand "user experience" should be able to do it,that's it.

We all have different "ears". And that's the reason why a discussion about the best sound quality will never end.

Better don't start it.
Lian Li PC-C60B HTPC Case
(Soundgraph Imon Display + Remote Control)
Asus M4A87TD/USB3 + 8GB DDR3
AMD Athlon II X4 605e 4x2,3Ghz (45W TDP)
Onkyo TX-NR906
Teufel System 5 THX Select 2

Vocalpoint

« Reply #12 on: September 12, 2013, 12:25:04 pm »

Better don't start it.

Hey - I hear ya on that one.:) 

It's just that the JRiver gang has a recurring habit of trying to gently nudge users "off" of bitstreaming - and over to (presumably) their DSP whenever this topic comes up. I am just wondering what I am missing - if anything?

FWIW - Bitstreaming via MC works beauty here...

VP

« Reply #13 on: September 12, 2013, 01:15:54 pm »

It's just that the JRiver gang has a recurring habit of trying to gently nudge users "off" of bitstreaming - and over to (presumably) their DSP whenever this topic comes up. I am just wondering what I am missing - if anything?
You can't avoid having lip-sync errors when bitstreaming. (or dropped/repeated audio/video frames, depending on how it is handled)
If you decode to PCM, you can use the VideoClock feature to keep audio perfectly in sync with video.

Depending on your hardware, how much of an error there is, and how often it drifts in and out of sync may vary, but you cannot achieve perfect sync when bitstreaming.
You also have no protection from inter-sample overs (clipping) when bitstreaming.

Vocalpoint

« Reply #14 on: September 12, 2013, 01:29:04 pm »

You can't avoid having lip-sync errors when bitstreaming. (or dropped/repeated audio/video frames, depending on how it is handled) If you decode to PCM, you can use the VideoClock feature to keep audio perfectly in sync with video.

Haven't had any lip-sync problems as of yet. But would like to explore just what's involved with the multi-channel setup area within MC. As I mentioned - I had bitstreaming off for just a few short days when I set up the HTPC and after a couple of movies were sounding less than stellar - I turned bitstreaming back on and left it there.

Wouldn't mind going back in and seeing what I am missing by letting MC work the whole multichannel angle...instead of my AVR

VP

05Goat

• Recent member
« Reply #15 on: September 13, 2013, 11:44:21 am »

Doesn't anyone have directions on how to bitstream? There are directions from MC17 I think but the interface is diff now. We need up to date directions. I'm at a loss why it use to bit stream flawlessly then all of the sudden,it won't. I don't want to get stuck with Dolby Digital PL 2..

fitbrit

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #16 on: September 13, 2013, 11:47:08 am »

Doesn't anyone have directions on how to bitstream? There are directions from MC17 I think but the interface is diff now. We need up to date directions. I'm at a loss why it use to bit stream flawlessly then all of the sudden,it won't. I don't want to get stuck with Dolby Digital PL 2..

Currently, your system is only sending out 2 channel PCM unless I'm mistaken. That's why you have to use PLII. It's also why you cannot bitstream. Fix the first and the second will work too. At that point we can convince you not to bitstream :) but the problem here is not with there being no instructions. There's something awry with your settings or cables.

fitbrit

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #17 on: September 13, 2013, 11:54:35 am »

Also, just to be sure we didn't miss the obvious:

Go to options> Audio > DSP & Output Format > Output Format (Is this checked?)
On the right hand side under channels, choose: Source Number of Channels (or is this already what's selected?)

Then set up your bitstreaming options again and try.

05Goat

• Recent member
« Reply #18 on: September 13, 2013, 12:27:01 pm »

Thanks fitbrit,I will try that when I get home from work..

shAf

« Reply #19 on: September 13, 2013, 01:36:13 pm »

If you are outputting audio via HDMI, then I don't blame anyone for at least comparing their bitstreamed audio with JR's PCM'd audio.  I say that because other outputs (e.g., s/pdif) are not capable of HD audio that comes with today's Bluray.  However, if you're just playing 16bit CDs, Flacs or MP3s, then you're probably better off not bitstreaming and avoiding headaches with anything other than MC's default settings.

I would not claim the sound is better either way, but it can be different.  For example, I've been bitstreaming for a long time because I like the way my Yamaha AVR played the bitstreamed signal especially for Bluray, and I liked the AVR's method(s) for synthesizing rear channels better than JRsurrond.  Further, I do not and never have had a problem with sync'ing audio and video.  However, with MC19 I am playing around with PCM again, and I'm finding it sends more signal to the center channel than does my AVR.  It's neither better or worse, but I'm glad I have a center speaker up to the task.

So I disagree with the bitstreaming naysayers, bitstreaming is fine if your audio hardware is up for it.  That said, many users are very happy with MC's PCM and the hardware cures it provides.  However, I do have one gripe with MC's PCM ... if you ever want to know what kind of audio format is being PCM'd (e.g., Dolby HD, DTS HD) you have no way of checking and MC's audio path provides no clue ... but if you bitstream you can usually have your AVR or TV show you exactly which format is being played (but that's for the bloke who insists on knowing everything).

just my CA$0.02  :)
cheerios from the Avalon Peninsula, Newfoundland

fitbrit

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #20 on: September 13, 2013, 02:01:32 pm »

However, I do have one gripe with MC's PCM ... if you ever want to know what kind of audio format is being PCM'd (e.g., Dolby HD, DTS HD) you have no way of checking and MC's audio path provides no clue ... but if you bitstream you can usually have your AVR or TV show you exactly which format is being played (but that's for the bloke who insists on knowing everything).

just my CA$0.02  :)

That's incorrect: Right click while video is playing> Player> Audio Path.

You get all the information you could need to see what's going in and what's coming out, including bitrate, number of channels, codec.

shAf

« Reply #21 on: September 13, 2013, 02:15:50 pm »

That's incorrect: Right click while video is playing> Player> Audio Path.

You get all the information you could need to see what's going in and what's coming out, including bitrate, number of channels, codec.

I am aware of the "audio path".  If what you say is true, why then do all I see when not bitstreaming is " NBits, nKhz ... ACR", but if I bitsteam my TV tells me it is really "5.1 Dolby Digital"??

fitbrit

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #22 on: September 13, 2013, 02:24:26 pm »

I am aware of the "audio path".  If what you say is true, why then do all I see when not bitstreaming is " NBits, nKhz ... ACR", but if I bitsteam my TV tells me it is really "5.1 Dolby Digital"??

Do you see " NBits, nKhz ... ACR" in MC's audio path when not bitstreaming? Or do you mean on the OSD of your receiver?

The attached pic shows what I see. Seems pretty comprehensive. It would be nice to have this information appear on MC's OSD, though, and it's something I've been asking for for a long time, since the feature (in a previous, more limited form) was removed from the OSD.

shAf

« Reply #23 on: September 13, 2013, 02:43:24 pm »

Do you see " NBits, nKhz ... ACR" in MC's audio path when not bitstreaming? Or do you mean on the OSD of your receiver?

When not bitstreaming that is what I see in MC's audio path, altho it at least states 6ch, and the TV's OSD states "PCM 3/2/.1".  When bitstreaming, the Audio path implies the same except 2ch, and the OSD states "DD 3/2/.1" (see attached)

fitbrit

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #24 on: September 13, 2013, 02:47:07 pm »

That's playing the same video file in both cases?  ?

shAf

« Reply #25 on: September 13, 2013, 03:32:16 pm »

That's playing the same video file in both cases?  ?
Yes ...

fitbrit

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #26 on: September 13, 2013, 04:26:41 pm »

That might be worth starting a thread on... why does the input change depending on whether you bitstream or not?
I don't see why it should do that. :(

« Reply #27 on: September 13, 2013, 05:17:11 pm »

That might be worth starting a thread on... why does the input change depending on whether you bitstream or not?
I don't see why it should do that. :(
I seem to recall that DD5.1 and DTS are bitstreamed as two channels due to the limitations of S/PDIF.

fitbrit

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #28 on: September 13, 2013, 08:31:13 pm »

I seem to recall that DD5.1 and DTS are bitstreamed as two channels due to the limitations of S/PDIF.

True that Shaf isn't the OP, so may be using S/PDIF, but that connection can't send multichannel LPCM, only stereo also, due to the same limitation. However, MC should still know that it's a 5.1 input.

05Goat

• Recent member
« Reply #29 on: September 13, 2013, 10:27:20 pm »

Also, just to be sure we didn't miss the obvious:

Go to options> Audio > DSP & Output Format > Output Format (Is this checked?)
On the right hand side under channels, choose: Source Number of Channels (or is this already what's selected?)

Then set up your bitstreaming options again and try.

I did all that. Source is my Onkyo 818 using Wasapi. Output format is checked. I chose Source Number of Channels. If I choose bitstream,it just pops open a window that says check DSP settings and choose the right output. It does put out Multichannel with bitstreaming off.

shAf

« Reply #30 on: September 14, 2013, 05:35:31 am »

True that Shaf isn't the OP, so may be using S/PDIF, but that connection can't send multichannel LPCM, only stereo also, due to the same limitation. However, MC should still know that it's a 5.1 input.
My audio out is HDMI ...

Looking back thru this thread, I cannot determine how 05goat has connected his computer to his AVR.  If it's HDMI then there should be some reference to HDMI in his sound options.  For example, my options include "nVidea high definition HDMI" for both [WASAPI] and [Direct Sound].  BTW ... WASAPI works for me, Direct Sound does not ... go figure

« Reply #31 on: September 14, 2013, 06:27:01 am »

I don't think that is the case when bitstreaming. I just did a test using the Null output (because my hardware only does stereo) and when I enable bitstreaming, it's a 48kHz 16-bit input and output.

The same thing happens if I bitstream DSD as DoP. The input is shown to be a 176kHz 64-bit file, rather than 2.8MHz 1-bit.

My audio out is HDMI ...
I meant that this is how DD5.1/DTS are bitstreamed due to the limitations of S/PDIF when they were created. Obviously this does not change with HDMI - though with HDMI you now have the option of decoding to PCM in the player and transmitting that.

05Goat

• Recent member
« Reply #32 on: September 14, 2013, 11:49:51 am »

My audio out is HDMI ...

Looking back thru this thread, I cannot determine how 05goat has connected his computer to his AVR.  If it's HDMI then there should be some reference to HDMI in his sound options.  For example, my options include "nVidea high definition HDMI" for both [WASAPI] and [Direct Sound].  BTW ... WASAPI works for me, Direct Sound does not ... go figure

I have a htpc with an HDMI out. Its an ivy bridge processor that does HD video and audio. Like I said it worked great before,then all of the sudden it stopped working. I have the onkyo 818 as the sound option in windows and in MC18/19.. I'm using both to see if 19 fixed it,it didn't. So like I said, I have it on the 818 Wasapi,ouput checked and its in source number of channels. I'm at a loss. I can get multichannel to work if I turn bitstream off..

« Reply #33 on: September 14, 2013, 12:43:07 pm »

Check that WASAPI Exclusive mode is not disabled, and try toggling Event Style.

Tools > Options > Audio > Device Settings

05Goat

• Recent member
« Reply #34 on: September 14, 2013, 04:21:22 pm »

No dice.. I have no idea what the issue is.. :(

05Goat

• Recent member
« Reply #35 on: September 16, 2013, 12:38:30 pm »

Might try one of my nvidia cards in it and see if that works.
Pages: [1]   Go Up