INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Improvements to "get from internet"  (Read 2961 times)

gandt

• Recent member
Improvements to "get from internet"
« on: September 11, 2013, 11:48:47 am »

Maybe this will turn out to be something I am missing but for me "Get from Internet" for album covers fails more often than it succeeds. Im guessing its very fussy about what it submits to a search engine (AMAZON?) so that just now when I looked for the artwork to an album by Neil Young which I have called "Greendale 24 bit" it finds nothing - but might find it if it were just called "Greendale" Is there anyway of "manually overriding" the searched for title to find the correct artwork under such circumstances?

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Improvements to "get from internet"
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2013, 12:06:29 pm »

That's not the correct album title, is it?  It must match.

gandt

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2013, 12:18:37 pm »

yes but id be willing to manually correct it so that it submits Greendale as the query if I had the chance...

MrC

• Your life is short. Give me your money.
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2013, 12:34:09 pm »

This is the type of problem you'll run into if you decide to manually adjust an album's title to include extra information.

A better approach is to use supplemental fields for this type of extra information, and then customize your views to show you the combined values.

Ask if you want more help.
The opinions I express represent my own folly.

digitald

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2013, 12:35:23 pm »

just edit the tag to show correct title & artist

Dom

gandt

• Recent member
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2013, 12:41:50 pm »

Well I take the point but I use DBpoweramp and or mp3tag for nearly all my tagging. not unusual I guess and these often throw up additions to the album name such as (remaster) or (bonus tracks) and similar and it  does seem perfectly reasonable to have this info in the title - after all sometimes (remastered edition) does become part of the "official" title tag. All I'm suggesting is that if you want to after a non return on "get from internet" there is a "modify artist name or album title manually?" button which lets you do just that.

MrC

« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2013, 12:48:28 pm »

There could be heuristics to remove such items, and this would be necessary since more than just the Get from Internet dialog needs to be adjusted.  MC also requires accurate metadata for other types of external look-ups.  Heuristics like this are typically big time sinks, btw.

FastKayak

• World Citizen
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2013, 12:58:34 pm »

Get Movie Info allows for the search terms to be adjusted. Seems reasonable (and consistent) to allow adjustment to the search info for audio albums too.  I get MC allows for all sorts of view customization, expressions and so on.  But let's not forget it is even better when it provides useful dialogs so things work right out of the box.

FastKayak / Larry

MrC

« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2013, 01:07:43 pm »

I agree, completely.

But remember, those adjustments bang on the servers owned and operated by other companies, not JRiver's.

For audio lookups, there would likely be work on the back end to have YaDB return match possibilities, and this would likely add additional load to the servers.  So its probably not just a dialog change.

gandt

• Recent member
« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2013, 02:28:32 pm »

FWIW you could probably get a moderately effective if rough result by having an "ignore anything in brackets as part of album title" type option on the dialogue.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2013, 04:36:39 pm »

This isn't an approach we're going to consider anytime soon.  MrC gave you a good workaround.  Put extra data in a new (possibly custom) tag. 

kstuart

• Upgraded to MC22 Master using preorder discount
« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2013, 05:22:05 pm »

There was a long discussion about this this in a thread in the MC18 Forum last year.

Of course, you are free to use tags in whatever way you like.

But the database works better if you use the real album title in "Album" and then use "Description" for all your different versions of the album "24-bit HDtracks" and "Original CD release" and "30th Anniversary Remaster That Sucked But Made Big Bucks" etc.

Then you can add a Description column in your views...

(Description was chosen because it is supported by other programs, but at the same time, it is rarely used, because it duplicates the functionality of Comment)

gandt

• Recent member
« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2013, 04:05:57 am »

I understand all of the "that's not the way to do it" arguments. Guess I'm just shooting for the smallest distance between the rip and the album art and if the rip produces (remastered edition) I'd like to just work with that directly rather than change my tagging habits or have to intervene manually. I had imagined that a "modify the terms of the cover art search manually" option was relatively simple but obviously not and I guess I just accept that. FWIW I think XMBC does let you do that albeit in a not entirely obvious manner and I much prefer j river as my music player.

Graham

Arcturus

• World Citizen
« Reply #13 on: September 14, 2013, 01:37:43 am »

I'd recommend you use a application like TagScanner. It's free and allows you to pull from many different sources, Discogs and amazon as well as many others. You can search for whatever you want from the file names,directory names or just type in what you want. You also get a choice of what cover resolutions or different editions of the album. Also like that you can have the album art you want with your custom title painlessly.

Whats nice is if you point it at a directory already in your JRiver library JRiver will see what you did and quickly import the changes so it won't interfere and plays along nicely.

I get you'd probably like to be able to do this without another app but this is a faster solution then fighting with JRiver.

gandt

• Recent member
« Reply #14 on: September 14, 2013, 06:45:05 am »

Thanks for the suggestion Ill give it a try an a possible interim solution.

Graham

wawaron

• Recent member
« Reply #15 on: September 17, 2013, 10:43:54 pm »

My problem is that I'm getting too many albums with no artwork. I used to rip my CDs to mp3 files for my Zune and experienced only a few CDs with no artwork. I thought moving to MC and FLAC would reduce the number of CDs missing artwork. How do I get more CDs with artwork?
Pages: [1]   Go Up