INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: NAS Problem  (Read 5526 times)

corehun

• Recent member
NAS Problem
« on: September 11, 2013, 02:38:48 pm »

I use a macbook Pro mid 2010 mac os 10.6.8. jriver 18.0.217, after installation the latest version jriver can't connect to nas and I get playback error. need to go network/nas/folder and then works fine but it wasnt necessary before the latest version. Any suggestions?

Besides when I restart jriver, jremote cant make a connection, need to restart mac os.

bplexico

• Galactic Citizen
Re: Nas Problem
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2013, 04:35:23 pm »

Hi, I am connected to a NAS as well. Running .217 as well, have not yet upgraded to .218. Are you having the issue with .217 or .218?

Do you have your NAS music folder auto-mounting when your Mac boots? Do you have MC launching automatically on boot as well, or are both manual processes?

When you say you "need to go network/nas/folder and then works fine" what do you mean? Is this in Finder or JRiver?
Mac Mini (16Gb memory, 2.3GHz i7, SSD), Synology NAS, MSB Analog DAC, Tubes, Cables, DeVore O/96s

corehun

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2013, 05:12:36 pm »

hi bplexico,

using .217, just saw .218 released... I'll check it...

Yes the the music folder is auto-mounting (no problem with prior versions, having the problem after .217) but mc manually.

"need to go network/nas/folder and then works fine" in finder

bplexico

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2013, 12:15:47 pm »

Well it sounds like you are doing everything correct. All I can think of is somehow the connection to the NAS was lost by your Mac Mini, which is why JRiver didn't see the files in your music library. Has this happened more than once, or is it a one-time event?

Barr
Mac Mini (16Gb memory, 2.3GHz i7, SSD), Synology NAS, MSB Analog DAC, Tubes, Cables, DeVore O/96s

corehun

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2013, 02:05:07 am »

Well it sounds like you are doing everything correct. All I can think of is somehow the connection to the NAS was lost by your Mac Mini, which is why JRiver didn't see the files in your music library. Has this happened more than once, or is it a one-time event?

Barr
As I said before, same setup was working before .217.

jtwrace

• Galactic Citizen
  • "Science is not a democracy"-Earl Geddes, Ph.D.
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2013, 06:22:01 am »

As I said before, same setup was working before .217.
If you go back to 217 does it solve the issue?
W10 NUC i7 (Gen 10) > (Audiolense FIR) > Motu UltraLite mk5 > (4) Hypex NCore NC502MP > JBL M2 Master Reference +4 subs

My podcast:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCXMw_bZWBMtRWNJQfTJ38kA/videos

corehun

• Recent member
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2013, 06:39:43 am »

I am having the problem with .217. I'll check both .216 and .218 tonight.

corehun

• Recent member
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2013, 12:12:37 pm »

I use a macbook Pro mid 2010 mac os 10.6.8. jriver 18.0.217, after installation the latest version jriver can't connect to nas and I get playback error. need to go network/nas/folder in finder and then works fine but it wasnt necessary before the latest version. Any suggestions?

Besides when I restart jriver, jremote cant make a connection, need to restart mac os.

1. still the same in .218 :(

2. audio library server fails to start time to time. needs to restart jriver, no need to restart macos...

stevebythebay

• Recent member
« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2013, 12:22:45 pm »

I've a Western Digital My Book Live NAS drive that is wired directly into the Mac's ethernet port. On boot it appears in Finder under Shared. As others have noted trying to play anything via MC will result in that MC cannot "find" the source of the music. Only after I open the Music folder can I use MC.

Getting the information about the folder called Music shows:

Where: /volumes/Public/Shared Music

Server afs://MyBookLive._afpovertcp._tcp.local/Public/Shared Music/Music

What would you recommend I do on the Mac to have it effectively open this Music folder when I boot up the system?

Never had this issue with the same physical setup on Windows 7 Pro running JRiver MC18

bplexico

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2013, 05:06:22 pm »

Do you have your Mac opening the folder, /volumes/Public/Shared Music/Music, automatically at boot time (this would be setup in System Preferences under System->Users & Groups->Login Items)?

stevebythebay

• Recent member
« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2013, 05:20:57 pm »

Do you have your Mac opening the folder, /volumes/Public/Shared Music/Music, automatically at boot time (this would be setup in System Preferences under System->Users & Groups->Login Items)?

No.  I'll give that a try and see if it alleviates the problem.  Given that I've got a big library of music, just opening the folder takes a few minutes.

Update: OK.  Not terribly elegant.  Compared to Windows it doesn't allow MC quick access to the music.  But at least I get a visual cue when all the music (sub folders) is fully accessible.  I suppose it's just the way each operating system does its mounting and establishing file handles, or whatever.

Thanks.

bplexico

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2013, 09:15:19 pm »

Hmm, my NAS volume mounts very quickly under this method, is you WD NAS attached locally to your Mac? Ooops, I see it is.

See attached, mounts quickly and reliably.

I have the folder mount on boot up and then launch JRiver, I used to have JRiver launch at startup, after the NAS in the boot sequence, but turned that off because I have been tinkering, will turn it on and see if there are any issues in regards to timing.

I have 22,000 music files consuming 1.6 terabytes of disk space, how large is your volume?

stevebythebay

• Recent member
« Reply #12 on: October 09, 2013, 12:39:08 pm »

After boot it takes about 15 seconds for the folder to pop up on the screen and attempting to open MC and start playing anything takes another 15 seconds as it finds and begins buffering the music.  Could be worse.  At the very least it finds what I'm looking for and doesn't complain.

I think the difference has more to do with the NAS implementation.  Yours is likely to be quicker than my inexpensive Western Digital My Book Live.

bplexico

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #13 on: October 10, 2013, 12:08:36 am »

Yeah I wish I could offer more insights, but to your point, it does sounds like an implementation issue. I don't know if it would make any difference if your WD was connected via ethernet to the router versus direct connection to the Mac, intuitively one would think it should not make a difference.

Barr
Pages: [1]   Go Up