INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Audio Over HDMI  (Read 2316 times)

Radman

• Recent member
  • I'm a llama!
Audio Over HDMI
« on: September 11, 2013, 10:19:38 pm »

I have built 3 HTPC's to date, all requiring a lot of "fiddling" to achieve desired, though inconsistent, results. I thought my latest incarnation had finally achieved my goals, of being able to playback archived, lossless audio, DVD's, and Bluray, with audiophile quality sound, preferably over a single HDMI connection to AV receiver. However, as usual, just had a strange thing happen. Am still able to play back bitstreamed ripped DVD's and Bluray with fantastic multichannel sound (DTS 5.1, DTS-MA, Dolby TruHD, and so on). However, I am suddenly unable to get sound over HDMI while playing any of my FLAC or WAV audio files, or audio CD's.  I get no sound from these files with WASAPI (my default setting, which works on the video sources), or ASIO. However, switching to Direct Sound allows playback of these audio only files, but with the expected intervention of Windows upon the source files. I have tried reinstalling all sorts of drivers for the Intel chipset, and Realtek audio device, to no avail. I can't understand why things were working well, and now this odd glitch. I am making a rare post in hopes that someone may have experienced a similar problem. I am to the point of doing a full reinstall of OS on a different motherboard, in hopes of solving the problem.
     I will add that both Windows Control Panel and MC 19 both "see" the Pioneer "SC72" AVR as a sound device selection along with the Realtek HD Audio device. I have to select the SC72 as the default sound device to enable playback. I am no longer seeing "HDMI Out" as an audio device option, though this option was visible for a while, though later disappeared. BTW, I have tried playback both with and without bitstreaming selected, which makes no difference, as far as inability to hear audio only files.
      Any advice or discussion threads would be most appreciated.

ASRock H77M
Intel Core I3-3225 HD Graphics 4000
   (Ivy Bridge 3.3 GHz)
Samsung 840 Pro SSD
2X4 Gb GSkill DDR 1600
Windows 8 Po 64 bit
LG 12X Bluray
AVR: Pioneer SC72

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Audio Over HDMI
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2013, 03:39:26 am »

There are a few settings that can cause issues with HDMI output.

1. Make sure that "Open device for exclusive access" is enabled.
2. Bit-depth should be set to automatic, or 24-bit integer in a 32-bit package.
3. If the buffer is set too large or too small, you often won't get any audio. Try setting it to the default 100ms if you have changed this. I find that anything between 25-250ms works well with my Nvidia card.

nano_machine

• Recent member
Re: Audio Over HDMI
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2013, 11:57:27 am »

I am having this exact same problem.  I have a 4770S with HDMI to a Pioneer 1522.  I can get perfect bitstreaming, but no sound from stereo sources (mp3,wma or flac) over wasapi.  I can get 2 channel to work if I select direct sound.

Help?
Pages: [1]   Go Up