INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: DVDs with forced subtitles  (Read 17619 times)

• Citizen of the Universe
DVDs with forced subtitles
« on: September 17, 2013, 06:48:56 am »

I was wondering if anyone had advice on what to do when ripping DVDs with forced subtitles.
I know that with Blu-ray, you need menu support (which Media Center lacks) for films which have a single English language track, and only plays the forced subtitles from them, rather than having a separate track for the non-English parts.

I have just encountered this with a DVD that I'm trying to rip, and wondered if there was a good solution for it?
I normally rip my DVDs with MakeMKV, but there's only a single subtitle track on this one.

If I rip with this subtitle track and enable it, I get subtitles for all the English dialog, as well as the non-English dialog.
Are there any tools to deal with this?

If I use Red October Standard to access the DVD menus and play the film that way, the subtitles behave as you would expect. No subtitles for the English dialog, but there are subtitles for the non-English dialog. Curiously, Media Center says that subtitles are not enabled when it's doing this.
This is not ideal, because I'd rather only store the film and not all the extras, as that makes things much simpler for sharing around my network. I am also unable to play DVD menus via Red October HQ - the player immediately crashes.

Hendrik

• Administrator
Re: DVDs with forced subtitles
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2013, 06:59:46 am »

I know that with Blu-ray, you need menu support (which Media Center lacks) for films which have a single English language track, and only plays the forced subtitles from them, rather than having a separate track for the non-English parts.
You don't need menu support, and in fact this kind of subtitle track is the one which is much easier to handle.
If there is only one subtitle track, which contains both normal and forced, LAV (and in consequence MC) can give you only forced subs - as can MakeMKV when ripping (it has a sub-option for every subtitle track to only store the forced subs)

If you have a separate track for Forced Subtitles, you need menu support to find out which track is which, but with manually switching the track it will still work just fine.

I have just encountered this with a DVD that I'm trying to rip, and wondered if there was a good solution for it?

Does it not have the forced subtitles sub-track for DVDs? I don't remember when i last ripped a DVD with makemkv to be sure..
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2013, 08:21:47 am »

If there is only one subtitle track, which contains both normal and forced, LAV (and in consequence MC) can give you only forced subs - as can MakeMKV when ripping (it has a sub-option for every subtitle track to only store the forced subs)
I'm not getting the option for this - I only see the forced subtitles when I use the DVD menus. (and I can't use DVD menus with ROHQ - crashes immediately)

Sandy B Ridge

« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2013, 09:33:48 am »

This is probably a silly suggestion, but are the forced subs 'burnt' into the video? I know some DVDs are made this way with the sub track for the rest.

SBR

« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2013, 09:41:46 am »

This is probably a silly suggestion, but are the forced subs 'burnt' into the video? I know some DVDs are made this way with the sub track for the rest.
They're not, and personally I think that's a good thing—the problem is that it can cause headaches like this when they don't put the forced subtitles onto their own subtitle track.

« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2013, 10:32:47 am »

No ideas for what can be done?

I can still only get these subtitles to be displayed when playing off the disc:

If I rip it via MakeMKV, I only get full English subtitles, or no subtitles at all.
To have only the non-English subtitles displayed, I had to play the disc in Red October Standard, skip ahead, stop playback, switch to Red October HQ, quit Media Center, then relaunch MC and resume playback.

Playing this disc in Red October HQ without resuming playback from a certain point crashes immediately. (it seems to be the menu that does it)

polemides

• Recent member
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2013, 11:44:54 am »

If you have a separate track for Forced Subtitles, you need menu support to find out which track is which, but with manually switching the track it will still work just fine.

Additionally, you can change the flags on the seperate track-type of "forced" subtitles (that should be flagged Forced but sometimes, and with increasing frequency, are not) from Normal to Forced using BDSup2Sub and re-mux, then use BD-edit to automatically turn the track on. I have a link around here somewhere on how to do it if anyone needs it.

Of course MC will remember your subtitle selection for playback, I believe, but this will help in the event of a compete re-install, etc.  Also if you're OCD like myself and want the file to be "correct."

If I rip with this subtitle track and enable it, I get subtitles for all the English dialog, as well as the non-English dialog.
Are there any tools to deal with this?

You could try ripping to Video_TS and using VOB editing tools to fix the problem, but it's been years since I've done this.  I'll open my VOB editor when I get home from work and see if there's a way to pull out certain subtitles and leave the rest.  IIRC, Kill Bill Vol. 1 gave me this same problem on DVD, and somehow I got it fixed.  Maybe someone smarter with VOB editing can chime in before that.

NNTK

• World Citizen
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2013, 12:12:10 pm »

I can not select subtitle from dvd menu. And when I select subtitle from right click while play movie And then stop movie. I think JRiver should remember subtitle selection. when I play movie again JRiver play movie from bookmark and audio selection but don't remember subtitle selection (if mkv file jriver can remember subtitle selection).

« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2014, 12:22:00 am »

Just wondering if anyone has found a good solution to this yet, or do we still have to keep the DVD menus when ripping problematic films like this? (and the bigger problem is actually knowing when a disc does this)

muzicman0

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2014, 01:49:14 pm »

I think I commented on another thread for this topic, but the way I do it is to rip the DVD with MakeMKV, with english subtitles, and then compress is with Handbrake...Handbrake has options for forced subtitle, and burn in...I import the subtitle track, and select those two options before compressing, and it works on every disc I have tried.

I realize it is a 2 step process, but it works well.
Pages: [1]   Go Up