INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Rename (moves files if directory changes): Doesn't remove empty folders  (Read 6029 times)

Fred1

• Galactic Citizen
  • Change this by choosing profile

Empty Folders are left behind.

fucheeno

• Recent member
Re: Rename (moves files if directory changes): Doesn't remove empty folders
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2013, 08:46:49 pm »

I too am wondering about this.  Is there a way to purge the empty folders?  Also is there a way to move the other files in the directory to the new directory?  I think mediamonkey does this quite well if I recall.

Arindelle

• Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2013, 05:58:26 am »

You know my set up does purge these files on my setup ... recently I set up MC for a friend and after using the move command, a dialogue box came up and asked if you want to delete the empty folder with a checkbox asking if you didn't want to be reminded the next time or some such.

Maybe you guys responded no the first time and this dialogue is no longer appearing?? Seems logical to me ....

So the question is how to get that dialogue box back on our screens -- sorry don't have a clue

@Matt have any input on this??

marko

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2013, 06:19:15 am »

Maybe you guys responded no the first time and this dialogue is no longer appearing?? Seems logical to me ....

So the question is how to get that dialogue box back on our screens -- sorry don't have a clue

Open MC's options and type reset in the options search field. You'll get two hits, the one you want is "Reset all confirmation messages'

Arindelle

« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2013, 06:21:46 am »

thx Marko  :)

marko

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2013, 06:30:22 am »

I too am wondering about this.  Is there a way to purge the empty folders?  Also is there a way to move the other files in the directory to the new directory?  I think MediaMonkey does this quite well if I recall.
This is contradictory. If there are other files in the directory, then it is not empty and MC is right not to delete it.

If you store other related files in the same directory as the media files themselves, MC won't know, therefore, when you ask MC to move the media files, it does just that, leaving the other related files behind. What to do?

There are a couple of options:
If the move is not a complicated tag bound move, you could use MC's explorer and drag and drop folders to their new locations. I have not done this for many years now so have no idea how successful it might be today.

You could also import all of the related files to the library, be they cover art, txt files, pdf, log files etc., then create a working view that includes all of the required media types. You can tag them all accordingly in line with their audio counterparts, then select those files and perform the rename operation on all of them to have MC move the whole lot in one go, and automatically remove the empty folder at the end of the operation.

Fred1

• Galactic Citizen
  • Change this by choosing profile
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2013, 02:50:26 am »

You know my set up does purge these files on my setup ... recently I set up MC for a friend and after using the move command, a dialogue box came up and asked if you want to delete the empty folder with a checkbox asking if you didn't want to be reminded the next time or some such.

What you say is true for the Windows version of MC - not for the Mac version.

I reset all confirmation messages (Tools/Options/General/Reset all confirmation messages).
Then i moved about 2,000 files a few minutes ago with MC 18.0.219.

None of the empty folders were removed, however.

This feature is still missing in MC for Mac.
Pages: [1]   Go Up