INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Some thoughts on multi-platform licencing  (Read 4059 times)

leezer3

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Some thoughts on multi-platform licencing
« on: September 18, 2013, 04:43:12 pm »

OK, so I'm not sure if you've thought of these or not, but these are a few points that have been nagging me now we're getting close to having three different versions working-

We're seeing queries about whether a license for Mac will work on Windows and vice-versa at the moment, and this will only get worse.
I think it's probably a mistake running as three entirely separate versions with no crossover in pricing. With that in mind, some ideas:
  • Offer a multi-platform licence for new purchasers. Say $50 for one platform, $75 for two & $100 for three
  • Offer a discount for owners of one platform wishing to acquire another. (Upgrade pricing so $25 I'd say?)
  • Similarly, a system ought to be put in place to handle major version upgrades. This is where your numbering model gets confusing; I don't know how to handle differently numbered versions (Perhaps skip 19 for Linux/ Mac and converge at 20?), but say a multi-platform upgrade for $50?
  • Integrate the cross-platform discount into the licence restore process- If an MC Mac licence code is entered into the restore dialog for the Windows version, offer to sell a discounted version (I don't know how much work this would require on your licencing system....).

(All figures arbitrary to illustrate the point.....)
Thoughts or for that matter the company line much appreciated!

-Leezer-

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Some thoughts on multi-platform licencing
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2013, 06:03:04 pm »

We will probably do something like that eventually, but our focus is on getting each of the two new versions up to speed.

Right now, the Windows version is on MC19 and the Mac version is on MC18.  They need to be in sync.  That will get easier over time since they are all built from the same code base.

leezer3

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2013, 05:12:51 pm »

We will probably do something like that eventually, but our focus is on getting each of the two new versions up to speed.

Right now, the Windows version is on MC19 and the Mac version is on MC18.  They need to be in sync.  That will get easier over time since they are all built from the same code base.

Official word is nice, although IMHO you ought to be thinking about this sooner rather than later :)
Think of multi-platform discounts as a fishook for potential customers  ;D

-Leezer-

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2013, 06:00:23 pm »

Official word is nice, although IMHO you ought to be thinking about this sooner rather than later :)
We've been thinking about it for a long time.  That doesn't mean it will get done soon.  It will require some rewiring of our license system.  It's not simple.
Pages: [1]   Go Up