INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Hang on program shutdown (Don W)  (Read 4251 times)

Don W

• World Citizen
Hang on program shutdown (Don W)
« on: September 17, 2013, 05:20:27 pm »

[Split by Matt from a different thread]

I am experiencing similar crashes and hangs. Happens quite frequently, pretty much since maybe 2 or 3 weeks after I first installed MC 19. It is like Don described, the program hangs and pretty soon Windows displays a dialog box saying that the program is not responding, and asking do I want to wait for the program to respond, or close it, or attempt to find a solution then close it? I can't figure out the common denominator, the thing that is common to the state of the program with it hangs.. Lately it seems to happen almost every time I try to close down Media Center with the red X at top right of window. (But it doesn't happen if I open and close right away. It has to remain open and busy for a while.) For a while I was making lots of customizations to theater view and it would often hang when attempting to close the settings dialog.

This is bad enough it prompted me to do a complete system reinstall - reformatted the drive, everything - just three days ago, thinking that maybe my system was hosed somehow.

My system:
A fresh install of Windows 8, 64bit, up to date with windows update.
The only software I have installed are a couple of drivers (video, network) and JRiver.
A 128 GB SSD with nothing but the OS and JRiver on it.
ATI Radeon HD 7750 video card.
16 GB Memory
Core i7 cpu
Asus Maximus VI Gene motherboard (LGA 1150) w/ Intel Z87 Express Chipset.

Diskstation NAS with 1Gbs direct connection throughout which houses all my media files. Its darn near as fast as an internal spinning hard drive.

Anything I'm leaving out? Let me know.

Don.

Don W

• World Citizen
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2013, 09:13:39 pm »

MC 19.0.38.
No antivirus. Windows antivirus and windows defender and windows firewall have all been turned off.
Audio files are all either MP3 or FLAC. It happens without ever looking at images or videos, but almost all image files are jpg, with some bmp. Don't watch that much video lately.

The SSD has 70Gb free space. It is a solid drive. I used it for a year as the main drive on my development machine before moving it over to the HTPC. It never gave me the slightest hint of a problem.

This is the same setup that I was running MC 18 on with no problems for several months.

I'll see if I can put together a test with local files only.

Don W

• World Citizen
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2013, 01:00:17 pm »

Doesn't it seem unlikely that the SSDs are bad for all of us. And blaming on SSD doesn't explain why MC 18 was working and not MC 19. Also, if SSD is bad, since it is the system drive, wouldn't that make the OS itself unstable...

Regardless, here is a very interesting result:

To start with I can put JRiver into hang requiring force close every time by just playing music for 10 minutes or so then attempt to close the program. It doesn't matter whether from theater view or standard view.

On a hunch I made a new backup of the library, then restored from that same backup. So there should be zero net change. Immediately, I am unable to put JRiver into hang state. Now, I continue to use JRiver, play music for a few hours, open and close the app a few times, and after a while I close JRiver (as a test) and it goes into hang state, needing to be force closed. A while later and it hangs every time I try to close it, after playing music for a 10 minutes or so. At that point I try restoring the library again. And again I am not able to put the program into hang.

Is it possible that there is some corruption going on which is somehow cleaned up during the backup and restore process but that accumulates over time to the point where it causes the program to hang?

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2013, 01:14:06 pm »

Don, I don't think your problem is hardware related.

The last problem like this was from Auto Import analyzing a corrupt video.  You could turn off auto-import as a test.

Maybe you could capture a log of a shutdown hang using Help > Logging, and mail it to logs at jriver dot com?
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

Don W

• World Citizen
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2013, 08:33:47 pm »

There are obviously a few different problems being discussed here....

Mine, I have confirmed that it does not hang if I turn off auto import.

I am sending in a log of a hang that happens when attempting to close MC, with auto import is turned on.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
Re: Hang on program shutdown (Don W)
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2013, 09:00:17 am »

What's happening in your case is that auto-import is analyzing the audio in this video:
D:\Videos\Music\BD\Jethro Tull - Live at Montreux 2003\BDMV\index.bluray;1

But when you shut down the program, it's not cancelling nicely.  I'm not sure why this would be, but we've heard it from one other person.

I haven't been able to reproduce it yet.  I'm hoping to find a small video that exhibits the same problem.

If you analyze that video manually (using the Analyze Audio tool), does it work?

Don W

• World Citizen
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2013, 10:34:33 am »

If I try to analyze manually, it starts but never gets past 0%. It just stays at 0% until I click Stop. When I do that, it takes a while but it does eventually cancel out.

I don't suppose there would be a way I could either make a short clipping of the video, or extract the audio from it without changing what analyze audio sees? Trying to think of a way I could send it to you. I do have a BD writer. I'd have to get a writable disk but I could probably copy the entire video onto disk and send it to you...

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2013, 10:49:17 am »

If I try to analyze manually, it starts but never gets past 0%.

Even if you wait 10 minutes, is it still stuck at 0%?

Does the file play?

Are you using particles or anything else that might complicate it?

I'm suspicious that it might happen for videos that change their audio format as they're starting.  Does anyone else have a video that stalls at 0% when analyzing?

Don W

• World Citizen
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2013, 11:36:44 am »

I let it wait a long time. Over 30 min. Never left 0%.

The file does play. But its weird at the start. If there is no bookmark set and I hit play, the screen stays blank and there is no sound. It stays that way until I skip forward a little bit, at which time it begins to play, both video and sound, just fine.

Don W

• World Citizen
« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2013, 01:51:26 pm »

And no particles or anything like that.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2013, 02:17:51 pm »

The file does play. But its weird at the start. If there is no bookmark set and I hit play, the screen stays blank and there is no sound. It stays that way until I skip forward a little bit, at which time it begins to play, both video and sound, just fine.

It sounds like playback is stalling the same as an analyze.  This isn't surprising since it's mostly the same code.

Is there any way you could share that file?  I realize it's huge.

Thanks.

Don W

• World Citizen
« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2013, 06:21:01 pm »

Emailed you an ftp link to the folder.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #12 on: September 23, 2013, 10:52:15 am »

Thanks for the sample.  I've got it and can reproduce the problem.

Next build:
Fixed: If a video file issued a finished event before ever starting, it could cause the audio analyzer to hang on the file.

I'd also like to figure out what's happening in that file to cause the startup trouble, but that might take me a while longer.

Thanks so much for providing that huge sample.

Don W

• World Citizen
« Reply #13 on: September 24, 2013, 02:40:56 pm »

Glad to be of help. Love to support the effort. You guys are awesome.

patsfan

« Reply #14 on: September 25, 2013, 12:55:56 am »

I am having a problem with 19 freezing every single time I use it, on my laptop and desktop . I do not auto import as I just add as I go.It is not hardware as it happens on 2 pc's. Is anyone else having this happen?
Pages: [1]   Go Up