INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Effect of [=ismissing([filename])]=0 on remote client  (Read 1574 times)

abrise

• Junior Woodchuck
Effect of [=ismissing([filename])]=0 on remote client
« on: September 20, 2013, 04:08:08 am »

In order to avoid getting displayed thousand of files that are not present because they are on usb hard disks  not connected to the server I limit the display with the custom rule [=ismissing([filename])]=0 . Unfortunately on a remote client this will not allow any files to be displayed.
On the remote client I have to disable this rule to get the files displayed . However then I get all files displayed including those on hard disk  not connected to the server at this time .
Is there a workaround for this ?
Should JRiver consider that on a client this rule should be applied to the server side not to the client side ?

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
Re: Effect of [=ismissing([filename])]=0 on remote client
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2013, 09:39:14 am »

IsMissing(...) is slow, and probably shouldn't be used for normal views.  Also, as you've seen, it will not work on the client (and probably never will due to how the architecture works).

I'm not sure the best approach for a library where big chunks come and go.  We've talked about the program trying to track disks that are present and missing and update the library accordingly, but it's just talk at this point.

Anyone else have any tips?
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

nitephlight

• World Citizen
Re: Re: Effect of [=ismissing([filename])]=0 on remote client
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2013, 07:09:00 pm »

hm couldn't you use different library server user accounts to limit the collection somehow? (that was introduced in in 19 no?)

MrC

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Your life is short. Give me your money.
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2013, 07:12:43 pm »

Instead of using IsMissing(), just create a rule that either allows or prevents files based on the leading text in the filename (path) string.
The opinions I express represent my own folly.

abrise

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2013, 10:24:11 pm »

Instead of using IsMissing(), just create a rule that either allows or prevents files based on the leading text in the filename (path) string.
I already use this rule when I want to permanently  allow or exclude paths. For example allowing in the image view only paths containing images but not the paths for  video or music that also contain images that should not be displayed in the image view. However we need here something dynamic base  on the presence or absence of hard disk.

abrise

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2013, 11:20:38 pm »

IsMissing(...) is slow, and probably shouldn't be used for normal views.  Also, as you've seen, it will not work on the client (and probably never will due to how the architecture works).

I'm not sure the best approach for a library where big chunks come and go.  We've talked about the program trying to track disks that are present and missing and update the library accordingly, but it's just talk at this point.

Anyone else have any tips?

IsMissing even if slow is making the work for the local server , DLNA, webgizmo and Gizmo but not for jriver client as the complete database is transmitted. I don't know how it works for Gizmo but it seems that the database is filtered according to Customized view before being transmitted .
This make me thinking that I have a workaround here. The main issue is that I don't know with JRiver client which disks are presently connected to the server. I just realize that I get this information with webgizmo as the server rule IsMissing is working for it. Getting the drive letters,  I then disable the Ismissing rule on the client and select the view disk location.

Pages: [1]   Go Up