INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Gizmo storage problem  (Read 1848 times)

adlelare

• World Citizen
Gizmo storage problem
« on: September 20, 2013, 07:02:21 am »

Hi guys,

I use Gizmo very extensively (actually more than JRiver directly) and have been quite satisfied for years.  However, the last two updates of Gizmo via Google Play have created some "odd" problems.  The 1st problem (since corrected i believe) was the infamous "can't communicate with the server" (or summin close to that) now with the latest iteration something very strange is occurring.  Yesterday I used Gizmo for 5-6 hours on an Android device i have attached to one of my stereo systems, and eventually got an error message that all storage on my device had been used up (it is an 8 gb drive) as i went checking through strorage to find out what was wrong to my great surprise Gizmo was indicated at being 1.88gb (yeah thats right 1.88gb) and upon further investigation it appears that likely every song i listened too had been downloaded to my device.  I assume as i never got this message before it may be related to the new(er) version of Gizmo.  PS i will be using Gizmo again today but paying a lot of attention to the storage issue. PS any chance in future Gizmo can use .flac files to beat the 320kbps limit.  Thanks in advance, really enjoy the program for years. i use media centre 19

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
Re: Gizmo gone crazy!!! Help
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2013, 09:30:54 am »

as i went checking through strorage to find out what was wrong to my great surprise Gizmo was indicated at being 1.88gb (yeah thats right 1.88gb)

The cache is supposed to be limited to 512MB.  I'll investigate and follow-up in a couple days.

Until then, it's perfectly safe to erase the cache.  It's just used to improve reliability when the connection is spotty, and to make track transitions faster.  When a file isn't in cache, it will just get downloaded again.

Thanks.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

adlelare

• World Citizen
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2013, 10:09:32 am »

Hi Matt, i thought i had replied but guess i didn't... so my next Q is this can the cache be moved to external SDCard and off of internal memory.. i have many droid devices i use with Gizmo (the oldest being 4gb internal memory and doird 2.2.1) but all have external SDcardslot... but nice to know about just clearing out the data.  did Gizmo always work this way??? cause i just noticed it (when the device indicated my internal memory was fully used)... TIA.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2013, 10:15:16 am »

Hi Matt, i thought i had replied but guess i didn't... so my next Q is this can the cache be moved to external SDCard and off of internal memory.. i have many droid devices i use with Gizmo (the oldest being 4gb internal memory and doird 2.2.1) but all have external SDcardslot... but nice to know about just clearing out the data.  did Gizmo always work this way??? cause i just noticed it (when the device indicated my internal memory was fully used)... TIA.

The cache is a new feature in MC19.

You can't move it and it's not optional, but we might support both in the future.

First we'll fix the pruning so the size cap works, then we can talk about next steps as needed.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

nitephlight

• World Citizen
Re: Re: Gizmo gone crazy!!! Help
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2013, 06:49:24 pm »

holy batman THAT'S  what that was hahaha (i was driving myself nuts figuring out why my sd card was full,  i dev on my device so naturally assumed i had borked my ROM :D)

I love the new caching feature, but i suspect that the writing out of the cache gets interrupted by the same "android kills gizmo activity, mediaserver crashes"  issue. I've had gizmo hang on song changes intermittently over past few days, perhaps andorid OS is trying to garbage collect the gizmo cache during this? dunno just a thought

EDIT : actually it's not on song changes as all, it's literally in the middle of most songs now.  the playback bar will just hang in place, no output (but dragging any skipping around the track i can hear the song  but dies not returning to playback).  the song is however downloaded in whole
already along with 200+ MB of songs on the playlist.

storage issues aside, will caching of long playlists always be attempted or is there any why to limit maybe a few songs out?

lynch1979

Re: Gizmo storage problem
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2013, 02:08:56 am »

Hi,

Yesterday I bought JRiver and I want to use my tablet (Samsung Galaxy TAB 3) to play flac files to my streamer.
Before I bought JRiver I was using Twonky, but Twonky I not a fine program to use.

But I can only use MP3 with a maximun rate of 320kbps, with the Gizmo app on my tablet.
I am only a Flac user, because of the good quality.

So am I able to play flac files with the Gizmo app on my Galaxy TAB3?

Sorry if I post it in a wrong topic.

Thanks

nitephlight

• World Citizen
Re: Gizmo storage problem
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2013, 12:30:25 pm »

no,  music gets converted to universal android supported format of mp3.
Pages: [1]   Go Up