INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: DVD subtitle "on by default" flag is ignored  (Read 1637 times)

audioriver

• Citizen of the Universe
DVD subtitle "on by default" flag is ignored
« on: September 22, 2013, 09:54:01 am »

I have several DVD's authored with their subtitle stream to be enabled by default. This is not respected by MC and they have to be manually enabled. They will only show up by default, if the language matches MC's subtitle settings. I think you should add an extra option about this ("respect/prefer disc settings" or similar), since it's a DVD feature and it's currently being ignored/overridden.
Windows 10 Pro x64

Re: DVD subtitle "on by default" flag is ignored
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2013, 10:27:42 am »

I haven't had this problem when Media Center is set to:

Subtitle Mode: Show subtitles only if the selected subtitle language is different from audio language
    Default subtitle language: English
    Default audio language: No default language

Any subtitles which are forced still get displayed:

(these are actual subtitles, and not burned in)

I have had a problem trying to rip discs which do this with a single subtitle track, and selectively force parts of it for non-English speaking parts though: http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=83651.0

audioriver

« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2013, 10:58:28 am »

Your pic is strange. Do you get subtitles with right-click/Subtitles/Off? I cannot understand how this can happen. Your settings do not work for me, default subs won't show up.

I'm not sure what you mean by "forced", but not burned-in subtitles. Are "forced" subtitles supposed to be non-toggleable? I am talking about a normal subtitle stream, that is supposed to be enabled at playback by the player, but can of course be disabled by the user after playback has started.
Windows 10 Pro x64

« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2013, 11:09:15 am »

Your pic is strange. Do you get subtitles with right-click/Subtitles/Off? I cannot understand how this can happen. Your settings do not work for me, default subs won't show up.

I'm not sure what you mean by "forced", but not burned-in subtitles. Are "forced" subtitles supposed to be non-toggleable? I am talking about a normal subtitle stream, that is supposed to be enabled at playback by the player, but can of course be disabled by the user after playback has started.
The non-English portions of this film are using forced subtitles, which cannot be disabled.
Selecting "English" as the subtitle language displays subtitles for all dialog.

Perhaps I misunderstood your problem.
Generally people want:
  • Subtitles on all the time, because they are hard of hearing.
  • Subtitles to always be displayed if the film is not in their native language. (e.g. a French film when they do not speak French)
  • Only forced subtitles to be displayed when a film contains mixed languages. (e.g. mostly English, with some non-English parts)

Media Center should accommodate all of those.

Are you saying that you want something else?

audioriver

« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2013, 11:18:23 am »

Are you saying that you want something else?

Yes. Let's forget about languages (mixed or otherwise) and hearing impaired/forced parts. A DVD disc can have a flag set on one of its subtitle streams (whether it's the only one present on the DVD or not, it doesn't matter) to instruct the DVD player to enable that subtitle stream by default.
The problem is that this flag setting, can clash with the player's language settings - this happens with MC, too. I think the disc's setting should come first, since that's the way it was authored. Or at least, the player should provide an option to give priority to either its own language settings, or the disc's "on by default" flagged stream.
Windows 10 Pro x64

« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2013, 12:00:58 pm »

I'm not saying there shouldn't be an option for it, I'm just not sure what the purpose of it would be.
I have discs which have been imported from other regions, so the default language options would be completely wrong for me, for example.

I'm just trying to understand where this option would be useful.

audioriver

« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2013, 12:08:54 pm »

I'm just trying to understand where this option would be useful.

It's quite useful when you want to give someone that's less than knowledgeable a DVD, and don't want her/him messing with the remote, selecting subtitles etc. I've encountered several such people, mostly... professionals who complain that "there are no subs" in the disc they received. The only alternative is to re-encode the DVD with burned-in subs, but that isn't always possible and takes time.

I don't think you should have problems with imported discs, since this is a setting that's not used often, at least not in commercial film DVD's. I use it a lot in my custom-made discs, and every good authoring program gives you the option to enable it.

Also available for BD.
Windows 10 Pro x64

NNTK

• World Citizen
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2013, 05:57:29 am »

My problem is jriver don't remember last subtitle is selected For DVD(disk, dvd folder) and can not select subtitle from dvd menu.
Pages: [1]   Go Up